Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: 60's-80's vs Modern era (90's to current) Boxing progression?
Overall they have regressed 28 62.22%
Overall they have progressed 9 20.00%
Around the same. 8 17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 11-21-2012, 05:15 PM
WolfGirl
Banned

Rep Power: 0 WolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 63,067.78
Default Your opinions: Has boxing progressed or regressed:Modern vs 60's-80's

I'm not talking about black and white days. Forget that. Let's just start from the 60's.
60's-80's vs Modern (90's era to current)
Do you think boxing has progressed since the 60'-80's era? In terms of skill level?
I want more of an overall comparison, the cream of the crop(Lennox,Floyd,Roy,Evander) will always be the cream of the crop. Regardless of eras.

I'm talking like comparing the Froch/Cotto/Haye to fighters of their standings/rankings during the older days.

Please don't ever bring the 'track and field' logic into any boxing debate. Running in a straight line have literally nothing to do with two men fighting.
Track rarely deal with the intangibles boxing deal with, so it's a horrid comparison.

My personal view:
The best of the best for the modern era:
Lennox,RJJ,Floyd,Hopkins,Pacquiao,Holyfield,Tyson, Whitakker, is equal to the older days of the 60's70's and early 80's.

But the 2nd tier have fallen off dramatically.

Last edited by WolfGirl; 11-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Barn
TheTartanSoldier

Rep Power: 48 Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 18,830,083,295,087.56
Total Points: 54,813,994,931,996.80
Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 Merry Crimbo! - The Surgeon To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A Your 4000th post and you quoted me, I'm honoured! Happy 4k :wave: - *Boss Lady* 4 the uploads! - chiguy91 
Congrats on 5K solid KO's.. - !! AI-Holmes!! For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 well deserved - the collector For the massive amount of points given - MindBat Merry X-mas Lad! Have a good un! - The Surgeon 
Happy New Year - Freedom. You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS 
Happy birthday! Hope you have a good one. - dan_cov Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 what up homie...just incase I want you to know I had nothing to do with that thread title change that's your thread bro - -jose- :love: - -jose- For the help buddy - Badzi87 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

About the same...
Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM
onetwopunch
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 12 onetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond reputeonetwopunch has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 33,252.83

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGirl View Post
I'm not talking about black and white days. Forget that. Let's just start from the 60's.
60's-80's vs Modern (90's era to current)
Do you think boxing has progressed since the 60'-80's era? In terms of skill level?
I want more of an overall comparison, the cream of the crop(Lennox,Floyd,Roy,Evander) will always be the cream of the crop. Regardless of eras.

I'm talking like comparing the Froch/Cotto/Haye to fighters of their standings/rankings during the older days.

Please don't ever bring the 'track and field' logic into any boxing debate. Running in a straight line have literally nothing to do with two men fighting.
Track rarely deal with the intangibles boxing deal with, so it's a horrid comparison.

My personal view:
The best of the best for the modern era:
Lennox,RJJ,Floyd,Hopkins,Pacquiao,Holyfield,Tyson, Whitakker, is equal to the older days of the 60's70's and early 80's.

But the 2nd tier have fallen off dramatically.
Lennox,Floyd,Roy,Evander , I agree with all 3 except for Lenox. Just my opinion but i dont see Lenox being able to win againts guys like Foreman, Norton, Frazier, Liston..I just dont see it, Evander as a Light heavy but not as a heavy and Roy as a middle and super middle would be a force in anytime, Floyd as a LW, not as a welter or anything above that. Overall I think its regressed a little, back then guys were hungrier and had more heart were talking 15 rd fights..smaller gloves..
Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Earl Hickey
Boooooomb Squad

Rep Power: 106 Earl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond reputeEarl Hickey has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 331,779,835,227,580.19
Total Points: 332,279,835,909,987.62
have fun with this - Sir TomJones Apple - iBreakbeat You'll need these - Rip Chudd Congrats man! - Rip Chudd Stay safe - rorymac 
Making us BS members proud - Versastyle Happy early Bday and congrats on 10k love :kiss: - Bossy blue parallelogram for your birthday - Jack Napier Happy Birthday darling! I hope you have a wonderful day xxx - Bossy I swear you make my day with every single post. - Alx. 
LOL, that cracked me up. Here's a cold one on me. - BulgariasFinest Excellent poster. I chuckle every time you post that gif of RJJ getting KTFO. - I'm so sorry Here's one on me - led* 14k posts - ShaunRoberts Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. 
happy 15,000 - JonoYoungP4P Boxing scenes number one idiot - ROSS CALIFORNIA #FREE EARL HICKEY #JusticeForEarl - thuggery with a bit of luck it's not severe! - HUGH JASS Wilder's right hand leaves them too drunk to stand! - valero 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Gift Giver AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Ether 
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - MANGLER Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - iBreakbeat 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Shiranui Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - thuggery 

It's regressed

A guy like mayweather would have multiple losses in the 80s and 90s

Fans back then didn't appreciate ducker and people that fought like cowards were called cowards, not "slick G's"

If you can't see its dropped off I feel sorry for you, go watch hagler hearns and then watch mayweather v cotto
Old 11-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Barn
TheTartanSoldier

Rep Power: 48 Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 18,830,083,295,087.56
Total Points: 54,813,994,931,996.80
Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 Merry Crimbo! - The Surgeon To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A Your 4000th post and you quoted me, I'm honoured! Happy 4k :wave: - *Boss Lady* 4 the uploads! - chiguy91 
Congrats on 5K solid KO's.. - !! AI-Holmes!! For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 well deserved - the collector For the massive amount of points given - MindBat Merry X-mas Lad! Have a good un! - The Surgeon 
Happy New Year - Freedom. You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS 
Happy birthday! Hope you have a good one. - dan_cov Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 what up homie...just incase I want you to know I had nothing to do with that thread title change that's your thread bro - -jose- :love: - -jose- For the help buddy - Badzi87 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Hickey View Post
It's regressed

A guy like mayweather would have multiple losses in the 80s and 90s

Fans back then didn't appreciate ducker and people that fought like cowards were called cowards, not "slick G's"

If you can't see its dropped off I feel sorry for you, go watch hagler hearns and then watch mayweather v cotto
It's in terms of skill level.

Not excitement or the actual politics of the sport.

If it was I'd agree with you.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:03 PM
croz
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 croz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud of
Total Points: 10,000,249,143.19

It's progressed. They were saying boxing had regressed back in the 60s. It's just a myth that lingers about boxing and some fans seem to pick it up and hold onto it, I don't know maybe to make themselves stand out.

You know they're saying the same thing about football right now. There's a big debate on about whether Messi is better than Pele and people side with Pele. It works exactly like boxing, the older they are the more renowned they become. Their myth grows and people willingly choose to believe it. Look at the pattern it runs: Ronaldo is better than Messi, Pele is better than Ronaldo. The larger the myth the larger the support, and boxing feeds on that sort of thing. Saying boxing is dead or devolving is just part of boxing culture which has been around since the year dot.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:09 PM
WolfGirl
Banned

Rep Power: 0 WolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond reputeWolfGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwopunch View Post
Lennox,Floyd,Roy,Evander , I agree with all 3 except for Lenox. Just my opinion but i dont see Lenox being able to win againts guys like Foreman, Norton, Frazier, Liston..I just dont see it, Evander as a Light heavy but not as a heavy and Roy as a middle and super middle would be a force in anytime, Floyd as a LW, not as a welter or anything above that. Overall I think its regressed a little, back then guys were hungrier and had more heart were talking 15 rd fights..smaller gloves..
Good post, but I have to disagree about the Lennox part. Lennox and Wlad are in part victims of their size when it comes to dissecting their overall chances against the smaller guys of the 60's-70's era. Some people mistakenly think that because they are bigger, they are naturally slower or have less boxing skills and just rely on strength.

Lewis is not a slow lumbering 6'5-6'6 245 pound fighter that only have one style. Lennox is a very agile 6'5-6'6 245 pound supreme boxer/puncher/jabber with an array of styles that make him a nightmare for most ATG'S when he is firing on all cylinders.

Lewis can bomb you out via Golota/Ruddock/Grant, imposing his shocking strength and immense powers or he can outbox you 10-2 against a still elite version of Holyfield or toy with the likes of p4p puncher Tua.

Lennox's jab is a thing of beauty to watch in that it is not a straight jab but it comes in variations. Wlad's jab is probably more powerful and Holme's is more accurate but neither have the sheer follow ups of Lewis.
He will jab than quickly convert that very jab into a hook or straight left/right. He will jab than quickly turn it into a body combination.

Lewis had underrated defense as well, he is a masterful counter puncher and against Briggs the entire shoulder roll was on display.
Lennox slipping/shoulder rolling Brigg's punches than smiling at him and following that up with a massive KD was beautiful.

He's inside fighting might not be on par with Bowe's but it was still very very lethal and he throws that upper cut with vicious intent.

With all due respect to Frazier/Norton I just don't think they can over come someone of Lennox' size,strength,power,and boxing skills.

He was a great technican as well and that is actually what the main criticisms was when it comes to Lewis.

NY TIMES repeatly bashed Lennox during his fighting days calling him

"a giant who boxes instead of slugs' and 'why can't we see more Golota Lennox displays, why does he have to be so tactical'

Lewis is truely a very very unique heavyweight and Wladimir comes from that same mold of agile fast moving boxing giants who also happen to have power and ring generalship.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:11 PM
AntonTheMeh
NSB, DKSAB....

Rep Power: 60 AntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond reputeAntonTheMeh has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,176,385,493.30
That RJJ clip... LMAOOOOO - sweet pea 50 Hard cold cash. - Hard Dick thx man.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Miller Time - !! AI-Holmes!! No Message - Old Coward 
solid posts mate - Alx. have a sneakers homie - Warrios or have a snickers lol - Warrios 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

i think the growth level peaked and plateaued around that duran leonard era, with the lewis and the klitscko's as the aberrations in there division.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:13 PM
WolfGirl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonTheMeh View Post
i think the growth level peaked and plateaued around that duran leonard era, with the lewis and the klitscko's as the aberrations in there division.
Short post but I really like it.

I wanted to say it too.. Lewis and the Klitschos are the 'aberrations' not the norm. If you look at the other super heavys like Price,Wilder,Fury... even Pulev whos actually the most agile out of the four, they are noticably slower and less skilled than the smaller HW'S.

I think Lennox and K2 is just something out of the ordinary when it comes to super heavys.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Rk16
Contender

Rep Power: 4 Rk16 has a reputation beyond reputeRk16 has a reputation beyond reputeRk16 has a reputation beyond reputeRk16 has a reputation beyond reputeRk16 has a reputation beyond reputeRk16 has a reputation beyond reputeRk16 has a reputation beyond reputeRk16 has a reputation beyond reputeRk16 has a reputation beyond reputeRk16 has a reputation beyond reputeRk16 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 8,462.49

It's around the same,yet again nostalgia is getting the better of people
For example the four kings in the 80's is regarded as the golden era of boxing but their fights are spread over 6 or 7 years
So what if over the next 2 years Floyd,Manny,Cotto and Sergio all fight each other
It will in about ten years time be remembered as a great time for boxing
It seems to be generating as much interest now as it ever did
Plus there are some great young fighters now started to progress and the cycle continues