Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: If you never fought the 2nd best fighter of your era,does it devalue your legacy?
Yes it does. You don't really know who is #1 21 100.00%
No it does not. 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Navigation

#11
Old 11-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Welter_Skelter
Resistance Is Futile
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 19,901
Rep Power: 178 Welter_Skelter has a reputation beyond reputeWelter_Skelter has a reputation beyond reputeWelter_Skelter has a reputation beyond reputeWelter_Skelter has a reputation beyond reputeWelter_Skelter has a reputation beyond reputeWelter_Skelter has a reputation beyond reputeWelter_Skelter has a reputation beyond reputeWelter_Skelter has a reputation beyond reputeWelter_Skelter has a reputation beyond reputeWelter_Skelter has a reputation beyond reputeWelter_Skelter has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 136,839.15
Bank: 33,630,231,677,666.68
Total Points: 33,630,231,814,505.82
Top Dog.. - !! AI-Holmes!! this pizza is illogical captain - mickeyb for being a smart man on the cotto bets! - rogelio1289 16K Posts - T-97 Have a drink on me Welt! - BatTheMan 
Cheers! - OASIS_LAD An apology - El Dominicano Thanks for my gift!! You think I'm cute?!?! - Blood_Child We Fresh! - Dorian for the king of the scene! - MELLY-MEL... 
Merry Christmas - msagrain I like your M.O. frog. Clog your ateries with a cheezeburger. - Mizzou what's up  with em cookiez? - Tipper1069 Top Banana! - Bendigo Kalnsman for tolerance.....LOL - WTFBALLZ 
Thanks, man.  A true great. - Bendigo I can't possibly give you as much karma as I'd like to so have a gift.  Top poster on this site.... - ABOSWORTH On Me - Rocky. have a piece of my favorite cake! - steelhead for posting in my weed thread , good man! - HUGH JASS 
Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - mangler 
Default

Wlad has 3 belts.. Not many fighters today can say this. It might be none.
He could not have 3 belts if he wasn't fighting the best guys in his division.

I can give him and Vitali a pass for not fighting each other.. Don't any of you guys have brothers?
Reply With Quote
Welter_Skelter is offline
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
#12
Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 PM
techliam
IBF World Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Posts: 1,803
Blog Entries: 2
Rep Power: 8 techliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond reputetechliam has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 11,100,058,641.85
Bank: 824,577,692,400.31
Total Points: 835,677,751,042.16
Consistently good poster. - ddangerous cheers m8 - hougigo 
Default

Beating the 2nd best usually doesn't do much, considering 2nd best is usually opinion.

For the RJJ situation, his legacy wasn't hurt much by not fighting him. He was a master at 154, unbeatable at 160 and 168 (noone head to head can be RJJ at 168 even today), at 175 he dominated (with the exception obviously), won a title at heavy, then regained the lineal title at 175. In the case of 175, it's not as if people viewed them as equals, he was just seen as the next guy who was seen as the best challenge to Jones. Noone would bet against RJJ in reality.

For the Klitschkos, it'd damage their personal image, something that means a lot to them both, especially Vitali, if they ever fought. In boxing terms, hmm I guess so. But Wlad and Vitali were never prime-for-prime. In an in-depth boxing analysis on that fight, thered always be doubts that one wasn't prime.

The Mayweather/Pacquiao fight situation is just embarrassing. Mayweather's legacy is more damaged from this, as it has been years since he has universally been ranked 1 P4P. Pacquiao will remain a star outside of boxing, a huge celebrity in the Philippines. I can't see what Mayweather will be outside of boxing.

But i'm sure it does devalue other legacys in some form or other. Its just these examples can be explained otherwise.
Reply With Quote
techliam is online now
#13
Old 11-16-2012, 02:30 PM
IMDAZED
You'll resort to race
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zamunda
Posts: 30,694
Rep Power: 82 IMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,003,165,471,404.46
Bank: 51,035,882,521,957.88
Total Points: 53,039,047,993,362.34
for knowing your stuff! - natas206 thanks for the info. - TRUTH For that homerun of a post, bud. - Sweet Pea 50 An apple for one of BoxingScene's most knowledgeable posters - danc1984 BOOM - Fiend 
Excellent poster - ADDICT MOH. For continously educating NSB. - BattlingNelson been a while mate! - Tamis_Siensya No Message - WESS 
Default

Don't think the Klitschko's "shared an era." One didn't even fight for four years and was only considered the world's best HW for a grand total of a few months.
Reply With Quote
IMDAZED is online now
#14
Old 11-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Jel
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 191
Rep Power: 0 Jel has a spectacular aura aboutJel has a spectacular aura about
Points: 39,285.79
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 39,285.79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techliam View Post
Beating the 2nd best usually doesn't do much, considering 2nd best is usually opinion.

For the RJJ situation, his legacy wasn't hurt much by not fighting him. He was a master at 154, unbeatable at 160 and 168 (noone head to head can be RJJ at 168 even today), at 175 he dominated (with the exception obviously), won a title at heavy, then regained the lineal title at 175. In the case of 175, it's not as if people viewed them as equals, he was just seen as the next guy who was seen as the best challenge to Jones. Noone would bet against RJJ in reality.

For the Klitschkos, it'd damage their personal image, something that means a lot to them both, especially Vitali, if they ever fought. In boxing terms, hmm I guess so. But Wlad and Vitali were never prime-for-prime. In an in-depth boxing analysis on that fight, thered always be doubts that one wasn't prime.

The Mayweather/Pacquiao fight situation is just embarrassing. Mayweather's legacy is more damaged from this, as it has been years since he has universally been ranked 1 P4P. Pacquiao will remain a star outside of boxing, a huge celebrity in the Philippines. I can't see what Mayweather will be outside of boxing.

But i'm sure it does devalue other legacys in some form or other. Its just these examples can be explained otherwise.

I 100% agree with you, but I'm just pointing out Wlad will break some record defenses that he wouldn't have been able to break if he fought the #2... Because Vitali is actually favored to beat him prior to 2010.
Reply With Quote
Jel is offline
#15
Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Jel
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 191
Rep Power: 0 Jel has a spectacular aura aboutJel has a spectacular aura about
Points: 39,285.79
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 39,285.79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
Wlad has 3 belts.. Not many fighters today can say this. It might be none.
He could not have 3 belts if he wasn't fighting the best guys in his division.

I can give him and Vitali a pass for not fighting each other.. Don't any of you guys have brothers?
I agree. Nobody is talking about his belts. I'm not saying they should fight. I clarified this. I am saying that the # of defenses Wlad have is not legit because if he had fought Vitali (the #2) during his defense reign he probably would have lost, hence snapping the streak. This is vital because many boxing writers when asked about their claim for Wlad in the top 10 ATG HW ranking almost always brings up his longevity and # of consecutive defenses.
Reply With Quote
Jel is offline
#16
Old 11-16-2012, 02:34 PM
IMDAZED
You'll resort to race
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zamunda
Posts: 30,694
Rep Power: 82 IMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,003,165,471,404.46
Bank: 51,035,882,521,957.88
Total Points: 53,039,047,993,362.34
for knowing your stuff! - natas206 thanks for the info. - TRUTH For that homerun of a post, bud. - Sweet Pea 50 An apple for one of BoxingScene's most knowledgeable posters - danc1984 BOOM - Fiend 
Excellent poster - ADDICT MOH. For continously educating NSB. - BattlingNelson been a while mate! - Tamis_Siensya No Message - WESS 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jel View Post
I 100% agree with you, but I'm just pointing out Wlad will break some record defenses that he wouldn't have been able to break if he fought the #2... Because Vitali is actually favored to beat him prior to 2010.
Doesn't mean Vitali would actually be able to do that. So you can't say Wlad wouldn't have been able to do that.
Reply With Quote
IMDAZED is online now
#17
Old 11-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Jel
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 191
Rep Power: 0 Jel has a spectacular aura aboutJel has a spectacular aura about
Points: 39,285.79
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 39,285.79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDAZED View Post
Doesn't mean Vitali would actually be able to do that. So you can't say Wlad wouldn't have been able to do that.
Ya, but he should rightfully be favored. The tag team issue is bothersome as well. Like I mentioned earlier, Wlad should be able to beat everyone Vitali beat and vice versa but we just don't know.
Reply With Quote
Jel is offline
#18
Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 PM
IMDAZED
You'll resort to race
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zamunda
Posts: 30,694
Rep Power: 82 IMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 2,003,165,471,404.46
Bank: 51,035,882,521,957.88
Total Points: 53,039,047,993,362.34
for knowing your stuff! - natas206 thanks for the info. - TRUTH For that homerun of a post, bud. - Sweet Pea 50 An apple for one of BoxingScene's most knowledgeable posters - danc1984 BOOM - Fiend 
Excellent poster - ADDICT MOH. For continously educating NSB. - BattlingNelson been a while mate! - Tamis_Siensya No Message - WESS 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jel View Post
Ya, but he should rightfully be favored. The tag team issue is bothersome as well. Like I mentioned earlier, Wlad should be able to beat everyone Vitali beat and vice versa but we just don't know.
No, he shouldn't rightfully be favored. Even if he was. There was a time Diego Corrales was favored over Floyd Mayweather. Can't base this on ifs and maybes. One retired and the other took over and hasn't lost his grip on the top slot. Besides, the one that retired was #1 for a very, very short period.
Reply With Quote
IMDAZED is online now
#19
Old 11-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Jel
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 191
Rep Power: 0 Jel has a spectacular aura aboutJel has a spectacular aura about
Points: 39,285.79
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 39,285.79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techliam View Post
Beating the 2nd best usually doesn't do much, considering 2nd best is usually opinion.

For the RJJ situation, his legacy wasn't hurt much by not fighting him. He was a master at 154, unbeatable at 160 and 168 (noone head to head can be RJJ at 168 even today), at 175 he dominated (with the exception obviously), won a title at heavy, then regained the lineal title at 175. In the case of 175, it's not as if people viewed them as equals, he was just seen as the next guy who was seen as the best challenge to Jones. Noone would bet against RJJ in reality.

For the Klitschkos, it'd damage their personal image, something that means a lot to them both, especially Vitali, if they ever fought. In boxing terms, hmm I guess so. But Wlad and Vitali were never prime-for-prime. In an in-depth boxing analysis on that fight, thered always be doubts that one wasn't prime.

The Mayweather/Pacquiao fight situation is just embarrassing. Mayweather's legacy is more damaged from this, as it has been years since he has universally been ranked 1 P4P. Pacquiao will remain a star outside of boxing, a huge celebrity in the Philippines. I can't see what Mayweather will be outside of boxing.

But i'm sure it does devalue other legacys in some form or other. Its just these examples can be explained otherwise.

RJJ should rightfully be favored but I think a lot of you are seriously forgetting the number of MW and SMW talents back in the 90's. Julian Jackson, Gerald, Nigel, Eubank, Nunn, were all amazing talents. Just because RJJ dominated Toney at 168 don't mean he will dominate everyone he touched. Dariuz had a legit chance of being the toughest opponent RJJ ever fought prior to Calzaghe.

As for Vitali's personal image. You mean the guy who admitted to steroid usage? The same guy who told Wlad to 'quit like a coward' after his knock outs. The same guy who made fun of Wlad and Emmanuel after Brewster? Who said they were done? The same guy who stood over Solis when Solis injured his knee and yelled at him to stop faking?

That guy?
Reply With Quote
Jel is offline
#20
Old 11-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Jel
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 191
Rep Power: 0 Jel has a spectacular aura aboutJel has a spectacular aura about
Points: 39,285.79
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 39,285.79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDAZED View Post
No, he shouldn't rightfully be favored. Even if he was. There was a time Diego Corrales was favored over Floyd Mayweather. Can't base this on ifs and maybes. One retired and the other took over and hasn't lost his grip on the top slot. Besides, the one that retired was #1 for a very, very short period.
But Vitali was #2 for pretty much Wlad's entire reign. Wait, so the ONLY reason they are excused is because they are brothers right?

Let's say Prime Lennox was in this era instead of the 90's to early 2000's. Say Prime Lennox is #1 and Wlad is #2 and they never fought. That will not be excusable right? Because you won't have known who really was the #1.
Reply With Quote
Jel is offline
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
era:klitschkos, fighter, fighting, others., problem

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2013 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.