Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Skittlez
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Skittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond reputeSkittlez has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 198,641.25
No Message - Fire and Fear one of boxingscene's worst posters - Freedom. Where is Tiger??????? - mathed tiger uppercut! - joesaiditstrue No woner you're in the red. Now go fuck yourself in the ass - RossCA 
Name it Lennox - dan_cov Worst poster since Frank Sucketts - dan_cov biased - happyman hate troll - waste of space - Simurgh For the most stupid yet entertaining poster around! Enjoy! - Simurgh 
youre actually not a bad poster, i just find it funny how many kick me's you have. you dont deserve them imo - happyman deserves a kick for constant trolling and alts - I'm so sorry people want to kick you - Freedom. you can pretend it's Lennox Lewis - Freedom. Top 10 p4p NSB/ESB ATG - ArtThouFurious? 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fire and Fear 
Default The NFL/Boxing Theory have some real weight behind it.

It really does. I'm not saying that if the NFL guys boxed, they will be Lennox Lewises and Wladimir Klithscko's. I'm just saying that boxing really did lose multiple heavyweight champions to the NFL. Caliber wise? Who knows, but the theory is legit.

Look at some examples:

Seth Mitchell. Bryant Jennings. Detontay Wilder.

Dominic Breazzle will probably not go far, but the fact that he boxed for one year and made the Olympics team is still impressive. Imagine he started at a very young age instead?

Former Heavyweight champions in regards to American Football:

Lennox Lewis

"I played football when I was young, I ended up going with boxing"
Lewis was a first team stand out and was scouted by numerous colleges.
Riddick Bowe was a WR and his coach begged him to play football instead of box.
Ray Mercer played football leading up to Army.
Tony Tucker.
Tyrell Biggs.

Once again, I'm not saying that any top NFL player could have become the HW Champ, but it will be pure ignorance to deny the fact that

Robert Griffin 3 or Cam Newton would have made great prospects.

Last edited by Skittlez; 01-29-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM
The Nephilim
Banned

Rep Power: 0 The Nephilim has a reputation beyond reputeThe Nephilim has a reputation beyond reputeThe Nephilim has a reputation beyond reputeThe Nephilim has a reputation beyond reputeThe Nephilim has a reputation beyond reputeThe Nephilim has a reputation beyond reputeThe Nephilim has a reputation beyond reputeThe Nephilim has a reputation beyond reputeThe Nephilim has a reputation beyond reputeThe Nephilim has a reputation beyond reputeThe Nephilim has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 16,832.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittlez View Post
It really does. I'm not saying that if the NFL guys boxed, they will be Lennox Lewises and Wladimir Klithscko's. I'm just saying that boxing really did lose multiple heavyweight champions to the NFL. Caliber wise? Who knows, but the theory is legit.

Look at some examples:

Seth Mitchell. Odds are, he will be in for a title shot by the end of 2013. He is a NFL reject. Imagine if he started at age 10?

Dominic Breazzle will probably not go far, but the fact that he boxed for one year and made the Olympics team is still impressive. Imagine he started at a very young age instead?

Former Heavyweight champions in regards to American Football:

Lennox Lewis

"I played football when I was young, I ended up going with boxing"
Lewis was a first team stand out and was scouted by numerous colleges.
Riddick Bowe was a WR and his coach begged him to play football instead of box.
Ray Mercer played football leading up to Army.
Tony Tucker.
Tyrell Biggs.

Once again, I'm not saying that any top NFL player could have become the HW Champ, but it will be pure ignorance to deny the fact that

Robert Griffin 3 or Cam Newton would have made great prospects.
The NFL was around and very popular in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, etc. So why didn't it impinge on US boxing in those eras as well?

The reason American HWs are not where they used to be is the fall of the Soviet Union and the freeing up of Eastern Europeans to fight professionally.

Had the Soviet Union not existed, the history of the HW division would likely be very different.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 PM
1sballotHOF
Contender

Rep Power: 3 1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 28,585.78

Ehhhh whatever, we'll still NEVER EVER see a young, prospect like Mike Tyson. EVER.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 PM
bojangles1987
bo jungle

Rep Power: 126 bojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,112,867,703,568.45
Total Points: 4,389,868,042,118.92
Thought ya could use a drink.. - romebyko For your triangle theory sig - rorymac merry xmas. - Ether Awesome sig... Love me some Breaking Bad. - Burning Phoenix that triangle theories sig haha - Alx. 
it takes courage just to agree to donate an organ to someone :fing02: - jose830 thanks for the update - jose830 Thanks for the video of Bradley-Provodnikov - kennylimon Cotto looked rejuvenated out there - -jose- for an atg poster! - jas 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Childhood Cancer - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nephilim View Post
The NFL was around and very popular in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, etc. So why didn't it impinge on US boxing in those eras as well?

The reason American HWs are not where they used to be is the fall of the Soviet Union and the freeing up of Eastern Europeans to fight professionally.

Had the Soviet Union not existed, the history of the HW division would likely be very different.
The NFL was not even remotely as popular in the 70s, 80s, or even 90s as it is now. It's a phenomenon that permeates damn near every part of American culture now. You can't escape the NFL here in America.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Tom Cruise
Co.cktail

Rep Power: 31 Tom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond reputeTom Cruise has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 586,543,929,848.72
Total Points: 1,696,544,154,054.56
thanks for the green! - jose830 enjoy the beer and the boobies :beerchug: - jose830 Thanks for the green...eat a healthy burger :D - jose830 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - HUGH JASS 

There's no denying those facts... what grates on other nations though is the idea that this is only a problem in America. As if all us other countries are only boxing and not playing other sports... Undoubtedly if all nfl and nba players were boxers from a young age then im sure you'd have more heavyweight champions now, same as if all rugby league and union players had boxed, we would have many more champions from middleweight and up, if all our football (soccer) players had boxed we could have many more champions.

And yes the picture was changed drastically by the opening up of the Soviet Union. This is undeniable.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Cutthroat
Hispanic causing panic

Rep Power: 22 Cutthroat has a reputation beyond reputeCutthroat has a reputation beyond reputeCutthroat has a reputation beyond reputeCutthroat has a reputation beyond reputeCutthroat has a reputation beyond reputeCutthroat has a reputation beyond reputeCutthroat has a reputation beyond reputeCutthroat has a reputation beyond reputeCutthroat has a reputation beyond reputeCutthroat has a reputation beyond reputeCutthroat has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,328,959,317,572.25
Total Points: 2,328,959,347,515.56
Have a gift boss - rorymac f*ck yourself - Freedom. kick this racist creep - Freedom. Great post about the NFL and boxing - RossCA No Message - RossCA 
No Message - RossCA No Message - RossCA 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - RossCA Gay and Lesbian Pride - RossCA Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - RossCA 

Quote:

Do you honestly believe the best America can produce is Chris Arreola and Chambers? Can you not see the quality of fighters going down?

The HW division has been declining for some time now, the NFL/NBA weren't nearly as popular as they were back in the 70s. Especially collegiately! A big factor is TVs becoming more affordable, the civil rights movement, etc.

Just look at the average salaries per year:
NBA:
1970-$20,000
1980-$90,000
1985-$300,000
1990-$860,000
2000-$4,000,000
2012-$5.15 mill

The same thing with the NFL, it's practically the same thing except they earn a bit less than NBA players, they both sky rocketed at around the same time.

College isn't free in America, we must pay A LOT of money to attend a university, we can get things like Sports scholarships to pay partially or all of our education though.

"The cost for one year of tuition and fees varies widely among colleges. According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2011–2012 school year was $28,500 at private colleges, $8,244 for state residents at public colleges, and $20,770 for out-of-state residents attending public universities."

You're 18 years old straight out of school, do you have that kind of money?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 PM
New England
Strong champion.

Rep Power: 107 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 187,531,461,527,387.19
Total Points: 193,534,143,196,053.09
Congrats on 3000 First Class Posts buddy! - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon for a great poster! - sweetpea87 Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 
thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe 
for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 
top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas 

Quote:

it was nowhere near the level it's at today in those decades. it's really only picked up steam in the last 10-15 years, especially with the advent of HD television and big screens.

a big screen HD TV is almost as good as being at a live football game.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM
New England
Strong champion.

Rep Power: 107 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 187,531,461,527,387.19
Total Points: 193,534,143,196,053.09
Congrats on 3000 First Class Posts buddy! - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon for a great poster! - sweetpea87 Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 
thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe 
for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 
top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sballotHOF View Post
Ehhhh whatever, we'll still NEVER EVER see a young, prospect like Mike Tyson. EVER.

that's because he is playing football.

probably never gonna see an ali, either

he's playing basketball.

you wouldn't even think lebron james was real. 6'9". 270. runs like a dear. moves like a welterweight. built like somebody carved him out of wood...

Last edited by New England; 11-13-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:17 PM
LeG00N
Banned

Rep Power: 0 LeG00N has a reputation beyond reputeLeG00N has a reputation beyond reputeLeG00N has a reputation beyond reputeLeG00N has a reputation beyond reputeLeG00N has a reputation beyond reputeLeG00N has a reputation beyond reputeLeG00N has a reputation beyond reputeLeG00N has a reputation beyond reputeLeG00N has a reputation beyond reputeLeG00N has a reputation beyond reputeLeG00N has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 11,827,028,551,987,974.00
Total Points: 11,835,193,552,019,060.00
for your 15,000 post - jose830 Thank you for the random donation, you are like Robin Hood - Jadon Happppppppppppy Happpppppppppppy :kiss: - Bossy The point giver extraordinaire - chav can't green you atm, but amazing post bro. - chiguy91 
gracias homie - Cleto_Reyes ........... - BostonGuy Team Maniac - Bossy For Being an Epic Poster!! - mathed thx m8 - I'm so sorry 
WARQUEZ ! - BulgariasFinest ATG poster. Thanks alot, bro. - BulgariasFinest That sig is dope. You're getting better. - Terrel Merry Christmas ! - BulgariasFinest Can't hate on that gesture. Thank you. - CubanGuyNYC 
lol thx - thuggery ATG. A toast to Bradley going to sleep. - WARQUEZ thanks for the donation ese - hectari thanks for 1 trillion points donation - QuebecSTAR2 thanks for the 3 trillions points donation boss - QuebecSTAR2 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - thuggery Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - thuggery AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - thuggery 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - thuggery Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - thuggery Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - thuggery AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - thuggery AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - thuggery 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - thuggery Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - thuggery Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - thuggery AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - thuggery AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - thuggery 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - thuggery Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - thuggery Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - thuggery AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - thuggery AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - thuggery 

i've never watched 1 NFL game.....ever
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM
1sballotHOF
Contender

Rep Power: 3 1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute1sballotHOF has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 28,585.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England View Post
that's because he is playing football.

probably never gonna see an ali, either

he's playing basketball.

you wouldn't even think lebron james was real. 6'9". 270. runs like a dear. moves like a welterweight. built like somebody carved him out of wood...
I don't know about that. For as long as HW boxing's been around. There's NEVER been a guy like Tyson. Yes, a guy like Adrien Peterson, athletically is comparable to a Tyson. BUT, you can't train that type of torque on a punch, or even his speed. So for all this talk about "super athletes" that could have been. I don't care. I got to witness the greatest HW boxing machine, during his prime.

Don't get it twisted, I'm not calling him the best ever by any stretch of the imagination. But we'll NEVER EVER witness a raw, ferocious, explosive, killer like a Mike Tyson in our lifetime.