Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Mintcar923
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 Mintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 181,187.42
No Message - zab191 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capaedia View Post
That wasn't Ali at his finest, but I believe it was definitely up there as far as his performances go. Especially when you consider this wasn't a shot (literally) Cleveland Williams he was dealing with. This was an ATG heavyweight.

And he looked that way in round 11 because frankly, Frazier ****ed him up. I give him a lot of credit for even surviving that round. He had one of the best body-punchers ever working him for 11 rounds, then he got caught with a great hook, and he still didn't get knocked down. It took 4 more rounds for that.

From the mid-rounds onwards, Frazier made him fight above his pace, and he even looked great doing that. He was sitting down on his punches and trying to ward Frazier off as best as he could. If he'd tried to dance away he would've exhausted himself. Even when he held he was still taking hard bodyshots.

Perhaps you should watch that fight again if you think he looked horrid. I've never heard that opinion before or anything resembling it.
So Ali looked so spectacular in the Williams era cause those kinda guys may have been shot? I don't know about that! I re-watched all three Frazier fights about 2 months ago or so. There was a lot of holding in the second but Muhammad did look a lot better and had him in a lot of trouble in round 2. As far as getting back to the first fight he took A LOT of punishmnent from Joe that night. He took a really bad beating though he got his licks in. Don't get me wrong as this wasn't the shot Ali that Larry Holmes and Leon Spinks would get later on.

Ali wasn't at his best in fight 1 IMO. Not by a long shot. Again, I don't know whether it was Frazier's style or the inactivity that was the main problem. But, I suppose if there were a type of fighter that could make Ali look a bit horrid or mediocre it would be someone with a style like Frazier or even Norton.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Capaedia
JMM Stan

Rep Power: 18 Capaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 105,434,768,036.83
Total Points: 249,285,282,236.79
your pressie - McGoorty Keep up the top posts! - Barnburner 1000 posts! Keep spreading knowledge. - JAB5239 1,000 posts - Scott9945 Great posting - joseph5620 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks Happy Holidays  Capaedia - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays bro! - led* happy holidays to a good poster - Cleto_Reyes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintcar923 View Post
So Ali looked so spectacular in the Williams era cause those kinda guys may have been shot? I don't know about that! I re-watched all three Frazier fights about 2 months ago or so.
Like everyone, you look at your 'best' against inferior competition. The Cleveland Williams fight is often regarded his best performance, but Williams' had been shot, literally shot, by police a few months earlier.

I think his best performances are against the better fighters of his career i.e. Liston, Foreman and Frazier. These are the most telling ones because he needs to pull everything out to not get stopped by these types of fighters.

Coincidentally, Ali didn't steamroll these fighters. He could've fought two Cleveland Williams at the same time and it still wouldn't have taken as much skill and effort.

Quote:
There was a lot of holding in the second but Muhammad did look a lot better and had him in a lot of trouble in round 2. As far as getting back to the first fight he took A LOT of punishmnent from Joe that night. He took a really bad beating though he got his licks in. Don't get me wrong as this wasn't the shot Ali that Larry Holmes and Leon Spinks would get later on.
Problem is, this fight was after Joe's fight with Foreman. We all know what happened there. It was also just after Frazier struggled to put away a mediocre opponent in Joe Bugner. On top of everything else, he was all but blind in his left eye (cataracts)

Unsurprisingly the fight paled in comparison to the other two. Ali held behind the head all night, and Frazier visibly just didn't have the same fire.

God knows how he pulled out his performance in the rubbermatch.

Quote:
Ali wasn't at his best in fight 1 IMO. Not by a long shot. Again, I don't know whether it was Frazier's style or the inactivity that was the main problem. But, I suppose if there were a type of fighter that could make Ali look a bit horrid or mediocre it would be someone with a style like Frazier or even Norton.
It was because Frazier was an ATG opponent, and only slightly faded. I don't understand this claim that he looked horrid or mediocre. Everyone else thinks he looked fantastic.

But Frazier looked better.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 AM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,302,542.83
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capaedia View Post
It was also just after Frazier struggled to put away a mediocre opponent in Joe Bugner.
Have to take issue with you here. Bugner was anything but mediocre.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Dynamite76
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 Dynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite76 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 72,044.42

He was.Sonny,at his best, was a dominant fighter, but his time at the top, being champion, was short, and Ali beating him probably prevented a more embarrassing scenario to happen.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:39 PM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,302,542.83
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite76 View Post
He was.Sonny,at his best, was a dominant fighter, but his time at the top, being champion, was short, and Ali beating him probably prevented a more embarrassing scenario to happen.
Ezzard Charles was never light heavyweight champ. Should we not rank him at 175 for that reason?

Liston would have blown Patterson away from any time after 1958. Custom Auto made sure his man was protected, but Sonny was the uncrowned champion for a good five years.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Sugar Adam Ali
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 27 Sugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 181,672,788,282,027.72
Total Points: 182,472,788,333,149.62
Congrats on 3000 posts! - LacedUp Agree with you on Bradley vs. Cotto tough fight or Tim - hectari you need more gifts, have a beer - sugarsmosley A beer to go along with your winnings from tonight's bets! :) - Tyler_Durden You know your sh1t! have a beer on me - jas 
a truly ATG poster - here's an apple to sustain that brain power - jas It's Easter time, here's an Easter Egg for being the most knowledgeable poster bar none - jas Always spitting out the truth. - Augustane You made some good and fair points for Pac Algieri matchup - hectari couldnt green, but excellent post on violent crime punishment - sugarsmosley 

Sonny, like many fighters, didnt get his title shot till late in his career,,
I dont think he is overrated, simply for the fact that nobody rates him in the top 5 and some dont even have him in the top 10,,,,

I think liston is rated very accurately around here,, he was a very good heavy, but not the cream of the crop like a louis, holmes, ali, etc,,,, he is more in the class of frazier, tyson, etc
Old 11-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Anthony342
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,179,327.27
Total Points: 120,119,292,557.31
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

No, no he isn't overrated. Next question.

Last edited by Anthony342; 11-08-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:10 AM
notrecondite
Amateur

Total Points: 3,399.22

Quote:
Liston could be top 10, but not higher than Marciano
I tend to think Liston would have destroyed Marciano.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,064,730.08
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

Liston was a very good boxer and puncher, he had style and form and a terrific jab.

No heavy ever "destroys" Marciano, he could have lost but you need to look deeper into Rocky character and heart, when you learn more about the man as a fighter and champion you'd know destroy is a ridiculous term to use!
Ray
Old 11-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Rammstein
Hamburg O2 Arena

Rep Power: 29 Rammstein has a reputation beyond reputeRammstein has a reputation beyond reputeRammstein has a reputation beyond reputeRammstein has a reputation beyond reputeRammstein has a reputation beyond reputeRammstein has a reputation beyond reputeRammstein has a reputation beyond reputeRammstein has a reputation beyond reputeRammstein has a reputation beyond reputeRammstein has a reputation beyond reputeRammstein has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 854,687,446,442,017.75
Total Points: 854,687,446,457,378.88
one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. bomb ass poster - thuggery One of the best posters on this site. - Scott.Weiland. One of the best posters on this site. - Scott.Weiland. I appreciate the green K - Boxing Goat 
One of BoxingScene's best. - PainfromUkraine welcome back - Freedom2014 Right back at you sir. - Keitha313 Thanks. Cheers - Boxing Goat Cheers mate. - Augustane 
ATG poster - sugarsmosley Top man - Scott.Weiland. I'll drink to that. - ▀ringer I commend your action on the war against Nostagliatards - Red Cyclone funny poster - jas 
No Message - Lebanon Here's Wlads ring.I just came in it you can lick it up after you're finished giving him a B1tch T1T ride when you take your bra off and takes more scratched out face pics - Col. Hans Landa Hope u have a kick ass time at the fight - Boxing Goat 

Quite overrated. Very, very hands made of stone, but slow as molasses. Modern hw's would beat him easily.