Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 08-11-2012, 08:21 PM
croz
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 croz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud of
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,000,237,262.19
Default Boxing does huge ratings in Ireland - one of most watched broadcasts ever

The most watched show in the last 17 years was the Late Late Toy Show with 1.5 million viewers so you can see how this matches up. I know this forum is full of knuckle draggers but there are only 4.5 million people in Ireland so do the math. RTE's boxing post and pre fight boxing coverage also attracted large audiences.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/box...y-1-1-million/

A phenomenal 1.1 million viewers watched Ireland’s Katie Taylor win Olympic Gold on RTÉ Television yesterday.
The nation came to a standstill with an average of 1.1million viewers watching RTÉ Two throughout the full 18 minutes it took Taylor from stepping into the ring to defeat her Russian opponent Sofya Ochigaya in a 10-8 victory.
TV viewing figures stated relate only to at home viewing and do not include audiences who may have watched RTÉ’s coverage at public venues, workplaces, pubs or online.
Nearly three quarters of a million people watched RTÉ Sport’s full fight coverage including build up, post bout analysis and medal presentation as presenter Darragh Maloney was joined in studio by RTÉ boxing panel Kenneth Egan, Mick Dowling and Bernard Dunne for the across the whole programme.
The historic fight was also carried live on RTÉ Radio 1’s Drivetime and on RTÉ 2fm, with commentary by Marty Morrissey on both stations.
Meanwhile, 2fm broadcast live from Bray Town throughout the day, with audiences tuning in on FM, digital radio and the RTÉ Radio Player.
RTÉ Sport’s comprehensive broadcasting of the Olympic Games continues with television, radio and online coverage of tomorrow’s finals including the men’s boxing final as Ireland’s Joe Joe Nevin fights for gold, the men’s 50km walk featuring Robert Heffernan and Colin Griffith followed by the women’s 20km walk with Irish competitors Olive Loughnane and Laura Reynolds on RTÉ Two HD, RTÉ Radio and RTÉ.ie.

Last edited by croz; 08-11-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-11-2012, 08:32 PM
zcm
Contender

Rep Power: 6 zcm has much to be proud ofzcm has much to be proud ofzcm has much to be proud ofzcm has much to be proud ofzcm has much to be proud ofzcm has much to be proud ofzcm has much to be proud ofzcm has much to be proud ofzcm has much to be proud ofzcm has much to be proud of
Total Points: 102,043,629.11

Around a quarter of the population is really good numbers. Also it said that number didn't include people at pubs n out door venues, which would b a lot higher, I saw a click of people from her city n there must of been 50,000+
Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 PM
croz
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 croz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud ofcroz has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcm View Post
Around a quarter of the population is really good numbers. Also it said that number didn't include people at pubs n out door venues, which would b a lot higher, I saw a click of people from her city n there must of been 50,000+
Pubs were jam packed in Dublin. Also it was on at three o clock in the day if I recall.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 PM
mrpain81
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 35 mrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 107,356,283,809,893.55
Total Points: 108,356,403,991,181.58
great poster - Melly-Mel Thanks for posting the Rd by Rds for the fights I don't get to see and supplying heaps of great info. - danc1984 funny shit! - Tom Flores thanks for posting on the thread - robson24 Consistently funny poster. Thumbs up. - ddangerous 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Sox8055 

Quote:
Originally Posted by croz View Post
Pubs were jam packed in Dublin. Also it was on at three o clock in the day if I recall.
When aren't they
Old 08-11-2012, 08:55 PM
croz
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpain81 View Post
When aren't they
Pubs have been fairly empty since people are poor and losing their jobs.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 PM
CubanGuyNYC
Banned

Rep Power: 32 CubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond reputeCubanGuyNYC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,882,874,199,869,131.00
Total Points: 3,882,874,199,886,594.00
Cheers! - jsfd26 Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil For being a good poster - Cuauhtémoc1520 good poster - -MAKAVELLI- victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS 
Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov Have a beer to celebrate! - dan_cov Le ganamos! - Matty Ice We Finally Here, this is our moment!!! - Cubanborn87 how Fredie Mercury would say...We are the champions..we are the champion...of the world.. - *ANGRY CUBAN* 
Voice of reason - P4P poster. ATG, NSB HoF. - damit305 Happy New Year CubanGuyNYC - TBear Thanks bro, Happy New Years! All the best for 2014. - dan_cov Great BoxingScene poster and top guy - a beer for my Cuban brethren! - PainfromUkraine true top notch poster - sugarsmosley 
intelligent poster, here's a sandwich to munch into - jas good lookin' out! - lefthook2daliva For the old drag queen. - Jalisciense909 Sour grapes, drag queen. - Jalisciense909 Here you go man .. Always thought u represent us very well . I once referred to u as our &quot; diplomatic ambassador &quot; on here.  I think it suits u well !!!!! - Respect Power 

Quote:
The most watched show in the last 17 years was the Late Late Toy Show with 1.5 million viewers so you can see how this matches up. I know this forum is full of knuckle draggers but there are only 4.5 million people in Ireland so do the math. RTE's boxing post and pre fight boxing coverage also attracted large audiences.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/box...y-1-1-million/

A phenomenal 1.1 million viewers watched Ireland’s Katie Taylor win Olympic Gold on RTÉ Television yesterday.
The nation came to a standstill with an average of 1.1million viewers watching RTÉ Two throughout the full 18 minutes it took Taylor from stepping into the ring to defeat her Russian opponent Sofya Ochigaya in a 10-8 victory.
TV viewing figures stated relate only to at home viewing and do not include audiences who may have watched RTÉ’s coverage at public venues, workplaces, pubs or online.
Nearly three quarters of a million people watched RTÉ Sport’s full fight coverage including build up, post bout analysis and medal presentation as presenter Darragh Maloney was joined in studio by RTÉ boxing panel Kenneth Egan, Mick Dowling and Bernard Dunne for the across the whole programme.
The historic fight was also carried live on RTÉ Radio 1’s Drivetime and on RTÉ 2fm, with commentary by Marty Morrissey on both stations.
Meanwhile, 2fm broadcast live from Bray Town throughout the day, with audiences tuning in on FM, digital radio and the RTÉ Radio Player.
RTÉ Sport’s comprehensive broadcasting of the Olympic Games continues with television, radio and online coverage of tomorrow’s finals including the men’s boxing final as Ireland’s Joe Joe Nevin fights for gold, the men’s 50km walk featuring Robert Heffernan and Colin Griffith followed by the women’s 20km walk with Irish competitors Olive Loughnane and Laura Reynolds on RTÉ Two HD, RTÉ Radio and RTÉ.ie.
lol at the bold.

Those numbers are fantastic. Ireland loves its boxing and its emissaries. It's awesome when one person or event captures the fancy of the masses, rallying them to a common interest. Congratulations to Katie and the Emerald Isle!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Mayweather41-0
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Mayweather41-0 has a reputation beyond reputeMayweather41-0 has a reputation beyond reputeMayweather41-0 has a reputation beyond reputeMayweather41-0 has a reputation beyond reputeMayweather41-0 has a reputation beyond reputeMayweather41-0 has a reputation beyond reputeMayweather41-0 has a reputation beyond reputeMayweather41-0 has a reputation beyond reputeMayweather41-0 has a reputation beyond reputeMayweather41-0 has a reputation beyond reputeMayweather41-0 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 12,243,987,555.75
Total Points: 25,970,430,201.29
If youre Dorians bro than we are bros too - sigrab jr GUCCI GO BURRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! - Natedatpkid No Message - chiguy91 No Message - chiguy91 No Message - sweetpea87 
No Message - sweetpea87 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - chiguy91 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - chiguy91 

One thing that will never surprise me as having parents who immigrated from Ireland to America and having lived there for most summers of my life is high alcohol sales and big box office/tv ratings for Boxing. I just watched the Katie Taylor fight and she has some good skills glad to see her win the gold.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:01 PM
pacmanis1
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 pacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,048,793.05
Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil No Message - sugarsmosley 

While I'm very happy lets keep in mind it was the olympics. I watch olympic swimming, but that doesn't mean I give two *****s about swimming the other 3 years and 11 months. The olympics takes precedent over the sport. But congrats, always love seeing more people watch the sweet science.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 PM
croz
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanis1 View Post
While I'm very happy lets keep in mind it was the olympics. I watch olympic swimming, but that doesn't mean I give two *****s about swimming the other 3 years and 11 months. The olympics takes precedent over the sport. But congrats, always love seeing more people watch the sweet science.
It's a bit different. This was the crowd in her hometown alone. When Ireland "won" gold in show jumping for the last Olympics (horses oriented sports are quite big here) the crowds didn't show up like this.

It's more to do with the fact that Katie was a dominant champ but didn't get the recognition she deserved in her own country. The Olympics shed a light on her so people are much more aware of her now.

Last edited by croz; 08-11-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 PM
pacmanis1
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 pacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,048,793.05
Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil No Message - sugarsmosley 

Quote:
It's a bit different. This was the crowd in her hometown alone. When Ireland "won" gold in show jumping for the last Olympics (horses oriented sports are quite big here) the crowds didn't show up like this.

It's more to do with the fact that Katie was a dominant champ but didn't get the recognition she deserved in her own country. The Olympics shed a light on her so people are much more aware of her now.

Well thank you for correcting me. I know next to nothing about Ireland and was just trying to give my perspective that high viewership for the olympics is more about national pride than liking a sport IMO, but that my friend is just amazing. Hope it translates to a bigger boxing market in Ireland. Green K to you my buddy.