Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Capaedia
JMM Stan

Rep Power: 18 Capaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 131,094,881,788.54
Total Points: 274,945,396,746.38
your pressie - McGoorty Keep up the top posts! - Barnburner 1000 posts! Keep spreading knowledge. - JAB5239 1,000 posts - Scott9945 Great posting - joseph5620 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks Happy Holidays  Capaedia - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays bro! - led* happy holidays to a good poster - Cleto_Reyes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
He didn't shut him out but he gave him a boxing lesson. Unfortunately Chavez gave Taylor an even worse beating.
I didn't score a single round for Chavez when I watched the fight a year ago, if I recall correctly.

But I have a problem with the current scoring system, it doesn't really reflect how close certain fights are. This one for example. Or Jones-Hopkins I. Not that I have an alternative.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-31-2012, 07:09 AM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 123,155,625,418.64
Total Points: 123,155,635,205.56

Taylor outfought Chavez for most of the fight but was not built like Chavez was for such a fight.

Any question who wins a 15 round fight like the ones you'd all rate above him got to participate in? If Chavez got the rounds of the true greats we'd all look back on the Taylor fight as his crowning moment and there'd have been no controversy.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:52 PM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,005,305,447.03
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

Top 25 on my list, and that's probably pretty generous. He accomplished a lot and was a tough matchup for anyone, but his resume is nowhere near top 10. In fact, judging him solely on resume, he's maybe not even top 50. His famous "Streak" of wins was compiled primarily against Mexican street cleaners.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 PM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBleeder View Post
Top 25 on my list, and that's probably pretty generous. He accomplished a lot and was a tough matchup for anyone, but his resume is nowhere near top 10. In fact, judging him solely on resume, he's maybe not even top 50. His famous "Streak" of wins was compiled primarily against Mexican street cleaners.
He had a pretty damn good resume from 1984-1993! You do realize he fought as much as he did to stay sharp, right?

I'd like to see your top 50 just to see some of the guys you think had a better resume than he did.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 PM
kendom
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 5 kendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to allkendom is a name known to all
Total Points: 6,132,881.53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capaedia View Post
He lost every round to Taylor the first time round, but knocked him out at the very last second. Almost literally.

Taylor was able to shut him out because he beat him to the punch every time then moved before he could answer with punches of his own.
Nah mate that's not how it happened, there was a reason Taylor would have only won split decision, it was a close fight that Taylor was winning, and it shows on his face, some of his flurries were also a bit misleading.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:06 PM
monkey skeleton
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 monkey skeleton is infamous around these partsmonkey skeleton is infamous around these partsmonkey skeleton is infamous around these partsmonkey skeleton is infamous around these partsmonkey skeleton is infamous around these partsmonkey skeleton is infamous around these partsmonkey skeleton is infamous around these partsmonkey skeleton is infamous around these partsmonkey skeleton is infamous around these partsmonkey skeleton is infamous around these partsmonkey skeleton is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 14,259.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capaedia View Post
He lost every round to Taylor the first time round, but knocked him out at the very last second. Almost literally.

Taylor was able to shut him out because he beat him to the punch every time then moved before he could answer with punches of his own.
Everyone knows the story of Chavez-Taylor. But the way I see it, Taylor was winning the rounds, Chavez was winning the fight.

I was just trying to make the point that it takes an awesome skill set, not speed to beat Chavez, which a lot of people (from what I've read) think
Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Anthony342
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,262,913.81
Total Points: 120,119,377,507.85
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBleeder View Post
Didn't Greg Haugen say the same thing...before he was TKO'd by Chavez? Oh yeah, it was Tijuana cab drivers. Afterwards, he said those must have been some pretty tough cab drivers lol. Haugen was a character. I remember him fighting Chavez in Mexico and coming to the ring with Born in the USA as his entrance music. That takes some balls and a sense of humor. But yeah, a lot of those early wins weren't exactly a whose who of boxing.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 AM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Everyone who keeps mentioning Chavez "padding" his record....please go and look at Willie Pep's record. It is filled THROUGHOUT with plenty of "stay busy" fights with neophytes, journeymen, nobodies, and losers. But, I bet you don't hold that against Pep.

Last edited by jabsRstiff; 08-01-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:58 PM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,305,447.03
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsRstiff View Post
He had a pretty damn good resume from 1984-1993! You do realize he fought as much as he did to stay sharp, right?

I'd like to see your top 50 just to see some of the guys you think had a better resume than he did.
I said that if my top 50 was based on resume alone, then Chavez might not make it.

Ranking him on skill primarily, coupled with resume, I have him as a top 25 all-timer.

I have no objection with anyone fighting a lot of fights... sure beats a guy fighting every nine months. It's just not a Greb-caliber resume, that's all.

Last edited by SBleeder; 08-01-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Mintcar923
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 9 Mintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond reputeMintcar923 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 183,274.42
No Message - zab191 

Chavez fought a lot of nobodies but he also fought practically every name fighter of his time. He fought Camacho, Rosario, Haugen, Hernandez, Whitaker, and Ramirez among others. The only fight in which it's debatable that he lost round his prime was against Sweet Pea. And many believe he was just starting to slip around that time. Even when he was well-past it he was still fighting top elite fighters such as De La Hoya and Tszyu. Providing you judge him based on his first 8-10 years as a pro it's hard to find a better fighter. He's top-10 for me. And he happens to be my 2nd favorite fighter ever...