Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 07-23-2012, 04:18 PM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,005,315,194.03
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The "I hate Tyson" award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post

The fact is, when both of them fought each other when both of them were at their absolute best, Duran won the fight. Hard to say that's a guy who had his number.
If you think that the first Duran fight was Leonard at his "absolute best", than you have a lot of youtube to watch.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 PM
them_apples
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,342,574,679.70
Total Points: 8,543,718,989.16
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintcar923 View Post
The first fight was still pretty close when Leonard fought more flat-footed. Duran was great no doubt. I'm a huge fan of his. But, he had two more opportunities to prove his dominance and he failed miserably both times. When Ray used pure boxing tactics Duran just simply couldn't cope with it. But, there will always be the excuses. Well, he wasn't in shape, he had stomach cramps, he was past it etc. I just don't think thats fair at all to SRL. He had his number and Duran knew it. The evidence? When was the last time you saw a great fighter quit a fight just cause he was out of shape?!
couldn't cope with what? the invisible punches Leonard was landing?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 71 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,785,993,421,859,131.00
Total Points: 15,815,213,538,023,588.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBleeder View Post
If you think that the first Duran fight was Leonard at his "absolute best", than you have a lot of youtube to watch.
I'm ok, I saw Duran and Leonards career unfold as it happened. But thanks for the advice.

Obviously I'm not saying Duran was in his prime at 147. I'm saying, Duran at his best (At that point of his career) Vs Leonard at his best (At that point of his career), Duran won.

Last edited by IronDanHamza; 07-23-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Rep Power: 57 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 166,054,090,779,653.28
Total Points: 166,054,090,781,339.03
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 

Quote:
I would say Leonard's absolute peak was Benitez through Hearns I. It certainly wasn't at any point after his first retirement.

And for the record, Leonard was terrific in that first fight with Duran. How many Welters throughout history would beaten Ray that night? Damn few, and they'd have needed their A-games to do it.

Poet
Old 07-23-2012, 05:29 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 71 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet682006 View Post
I would say Leonard's absolute peak was Benitez through Hearns I. It certainly wasn't at any point after his first retirement.

And for the record, Leonard was terrific in that first fight with Duran. How many Welters throughout history would beaten Ray that night? Damn few, and they'd have needed their A-games to do it.

Poet
That's a great point.

People act like Leonard looks terrible that night. He looked awesome to me.

There is seriously very few WW's who would have beaten Leonard that night.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:50 PM
SBleeder
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 SBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond reputeSBleeder has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,005,315,194.03
for being a heavyweight in history section - led wipe your dirty mouth - -Ironmike- I heard you like men - -Ironmike- The &amp;quot;I hate Tyson&amp;quot; award of the year - -Ironmike- Good posts. - Barnburner 
No Message - -jose- you suck dick, i will kick you. - Weltschmerz training for your debut to suck dick,! - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
I'm ok, I saw Duran and Leonards career unfold as it happened. But thanks for the advice.

Obviously I'm not saying Duran was in his prime at 147. I'm saying, Duran at his best (At that point of his career) Vs Leonard at his best (At that point of his career), Duran won.
The rematch was at the same basic "point in their careers", so you can make the same argument on behalf of Leonard.

The Leonard from the Benitez fight beats the Leonard from either Duran fight... and beats the Duran from those fights as well.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Quote:
The rematch was at the same basic "point in their careers", so you can make the same argument on behalf of Leonard.

The Leonard from the Benitez fight beats the Leonard from either Duran fight... and beats the Duran from those fights as well.
Well, no it wasn't was it.

Duran was obviously a lot better physically and mentally in the first fight in comparison to the second. Leonard was fantastic in both fights.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:03 PM
taansend
In denial about UK refs

Rep Power: 23 taansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,208,986,345.12
Good poster. - ddangerous Nice looking pup.  Have anyother Pepsi - ABOSWORTH 
Smile

To me it seems that Leonard came in over-confident in the first fight whereas Duran was all about destroying Ray. He would have fought 100 rounds if needed. He would have fought two Leonards. He was not going to be denied. It was a great, close, fight between two all time greats.

After the win, a little of the fire went out of Duran & in the rematch HE was the over-confident one (I heard stories about him drinking quarts of beer before the fight). Ray changing his style was one of the factors in the 2nd fight.

I'm privileged to have been around for all of Ray & a large chunk of Roberto's careers. Floyd & Manny are great but NO-ONE is as brilliant as the fighters/musicians/sports-stars of our youth Whatever period that is.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:49 PM
bojangles1987
bo jungle

Rep Power: 130 bojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,606,425,310,152.74
Total Points: 5,883,425,668,362.27
Thought ya could use a drink.. - romebyko For your triangle theory sig - rorymac merry xmas. - Ether Awesome sig... Love me some Breaking Bad. - Burning Phoenix that triangle theories sig haha - Alx. 
it takes courage just to agree to donate an organ to someone :fing02: - jose830 thanks for the update - jose830 Thanks for the video of Bradley-Provodnikov - kennylimon Cotto looked rejuvenated out there - -jose- for an atg poster! - jas 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Childhood Cancer - jas 

I can't stand how people think Duran was getting dominated in the rematch.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:57 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles1987 View Post
I can't stand how people think Duran was getting dominated in the rematch.
I get more annoyed when people think Leonard was some kind of defensive fighter who didn't engage and shyd away from fights.

Leonard was a fighter, through and through.

Last edited by IronDanHamza; 07-23-2012 at 08:02 PM.