Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,050,470,843.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoorty View Post
No I'm not implying that, just that Darcy had a serious dose of TNT in both hands, as for who is greater ?. unfair comparison, Darcy's last fight was at age 20. Darcy had he lived would probably have fought around 299 fights like Harry did. A Greb V Darcy fight around 1921 would have been one of the classics, 20 rounds of pure fury, and not much chance of a stoppage. when Darcy had his last fight Greb was still on the way up. The point I'm making about SRR is that there was nothing lacking in his armoury. Please understand that Greb is one of my favourites as well and yes a dynamite punch is not the be all and end all, but certainly I prefer Darcy,, a combination of iron chin/dynamite on both hands/skills/stamina/speed of hand and foot sure makes for an exciting fighter. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Darcy ?,, yes his early death may leave some questions in some minds, and the biggest question is how a Darcy V Greb fight would have turned out. Many decades have now passed, so I cant be sure especially since no film of a Greb fight exists, but Jack Doc Kearns certainly was a bit of an expert on fighters and had seen Greb, Darcy, Klaus, ketchel, Walker, Flowers, McGoorty, Clabby, Gibbons, Papke in action by the early 30's when he stated that in his opinion Les Darcy was the best Middleweight he ever saw, (he trained Walker so one would have expected Jack to have favoured Walker, but according to Kearns, walker wasnt a chance in that match-up). ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Boxing history is basically stats and opinions and great books and film,, nothing more.
Mayweather ?... well judging by the common opponent he has with Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, I think Pacquiao is way better than Mayweather,, and I can now see why Floyd wants to avoid Pacquiao..... So Floyd, you either fight Pacman within the year or forever be ranked behind him, no more excuses are acceptable.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-07-2012, 04:30 AM
wmute
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 31 wmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 20,355,720,873.89
Total Points: 20,355,922,162.18

Quote:
Mayweather ?... well judging by the common opponent he has with Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, I think Pacquiao is way better than Mayweather,, and I can now see why Floyd wants to avoid Pacquiao..... So Floyd, you either fight Pacman within the year or forever be ranked behind him, no more excuses are acceptable.
Are you serious?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 AM
House of Stone
BigDaddy

Rep Power: 15 House of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond reputeHouse of Stone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 35,240,785,365.00
Total Points: 249,290,878,303.18
Prospect of the Year! - Barnburner Pretend Its Klitsckos and sit on it... LOL - afiln Kick this keyboard warrior. - Weltschmerz One of Boxingscene's best!! - JAB5239 atg poster! - jas 
knows his boxing - jas 

tommy hearns would destroy him
Old 05-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Barn
TheTartanSoldier

Rep Power: 47 Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 557,930,430,059,769.25
Total Points: 558,714,341,612,495.06
Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 Merry Crimbo! - The Surgeon To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A Your 4000th post and you quoted me, I'm honoured! Happy 4k :wave: - *Boss Lady* 4 the uploads! - chiguy91 
Congrats on 5K solid KO's.. - !! AI-Holmes!! For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 well deserved - the collector For the massive amount of points given - MindBat Merry X-mas Lad! Have a good un! - The Surgeon 
Happy New Year - Freedom. You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS 
Happy birthday! Hope you have a good one. - dan_cov Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 what up homie...just incase I want you to know I had nothing to do with that thread title change that's your thread bro - -jose- :love: - -jose- For the help buddy - Badzi87 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Ever seen Robinson fight?

I honestly don't see how he has come to be known primarily as this grand, elegant boxer. Dancer, my ass. Guy was a savage. Sure, He circled the ring with fluidity and balance and possessed a quick, accurate jab, but used it to set up and unload an array of power blows, effectively choosing his spots and ripping off multiple shots to the body and head at the drop of a dime. Had so much speed and power, could punch and hurt you wading in-and-out, going forward or backwards, with a cast iron chin of his own. Best combination puncher I've ever seen -- that includes Louis, Tyson, Leonard, et al. This is based primarily on '50s Middleweight material, when Robinson was over 30 years old and no longer at his peak or even his most dominant weight class. Crazy.

Comparing his record to anybody not named Greb, Langford, Charles, Armstrong is almost a certain joke as well.
Good post.

I remember watching the Fullmer fight where he got the KO, he basically abandoned the jab and was just launching right hand and left hook leads. Coupled with inside fighting in a very messy fight.

Robinson could box though, no doubt about that. As you say his jab was nice, not too powerful but very frequent and accurate.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Faerun
Banned

Total Points: 14,306.52
Happy New Year - Freedom. 

1. Martinez @154
2. Pacquiao @147
3. Alvarez @154

If he fought and beat Martinez at 160 he'd have a legit claim at GOAT in my book.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 AM
raf727
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 5 raf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 207,613,968,996.64
Total Points: 207,613,972,171.01
kick this bum - Freedom. Have a beer! - Barnburner Anyone that gets a kick me from Freedom, is ok with me. - RossCA No Message - RossCA 

Quote:
JMM as well, to which Floyd boxed his ears off, so your triangle theory doesn't work.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Capaedia
JMM Stan

Rep Power: 18 Capaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 159,803,929,390.11
Total Points: 303,654,445,059.85
your pressie - McGoorty Keep up the top posts! - Barnburner 1000 posts! Keep spreading knowledge. - JAB5239 1,000 posts - Scott9945 Great posting - joseph5620 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks Happy Holidays  Capaedia - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays bro! - led* happy holidays to a good poster - Cleto_Reyes 

Quote:
Why would Pacquiao have any more success with the taller, stronger, bigger, harder to hit counter-puncher than he did with Marquez?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 AM
wmute
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 31 wmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 20,355,720,873.89
Total Points: 20,355,922,162.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerun View Post
1. Martinez @154
2. Pacquiao @147
3. Alvarez @154

If he fought and beat Martinez at 160 he'd have a legit claim at GOAT in my book.
Alvarez? Why on earth?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Hands of Iron
Contender

Rep Power: 3 Hands of Iron has a spectacular aura aboutHands of Iron has a spectacular aura aboutHands of Iron has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 4,223.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnburner View Post
Good post.

I remember watching the Fullmer fight where he got the KO, he basically abandoned the jab and was just launching right hand and left hook leads. Coupled with inside fighting in a very messy fight.

Robinson could box though, no doubt about that. As you say his jab was nice, not too powerful but very frequent and accurate.
Not to mention Ray was already past it. Sometimes I weigh if he was better off staying retired after the Maxim "loss" without incurring so many losses even if past-prime, but I dont know if you can trade it for picking up wins against Olson (two more anyway), Fullmer and Basilio. From my perspective, I'm damn glad he did comeback to get those on film! The way he disposes of Olson in III and IV, the left hook he drops on Fullmer and the wars with Basilio are noteworthy moments of his career.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Hands of Iron
Contender

Rep Power: 3 Hands of Iron has a spectacular aura aboutHands of Iron has a spectacular aura aboutHands of Iron has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 4,223.81

And he really beat Fullmer twice (should be a 6x champ).