Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 11,000,063,852.86
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

I can't see how anyone could consider Floyd the all time best out of ALL boxers past and present! He could go on for 10 more years but he could never change my opinion that theres fighters who fought in the same weight class that would defeat him and theirs others that are just as skilled and in fact better. He's a very talented young man and his mental toughness has improved dramaticly but he can't punch hard he prefers not to press and dominate, and he's not a great closer. Being able to counter move and punch is a very high skill but its not a method that I prefer over a fighters skill to dictate the entire fight, then try to end it with power!
To name a few that I believe would handle Mayweather and he would get stopped by some of these young men;
Sugarman
the Kid
Napoles
Harrington
Griffith
DiMarco
Leonard
Hearns
Duran (at welter or jr.ww, or especially lytweight)
Benetez vs Mayweather would be the cure for insomnia!! Floyd be dec.
theres a few more but what the hell that s just a few from 140 to 152. Ray.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Hands of Iron
Contender

Rep Power: 3 Hands of Iron has a spectacular aura aboutHands of Iron has a spectacular aura aboutHands of Iron has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 4,199.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyreww View Post
Hah, no doubt Robinson is defintely up there with the best, I think alot of the older generation fighters get too much credit though, boxing is alot more tactical nowadays, instead of standing you punch me I punch you, In 50 years from now, they'll be saying the same about Floyd and the Fighter of that era.
Ever seen Robinson fight?

I honestly don't see how he has come to be known primarily as this grand, elegant boxer. Dancer, my ass. Guy was a savage. Sure, He circled the ring with fluidity and balance and possessed a quick, accurate jab, but used it to set up and unload an array of power blows, effectively choosing his spots and ripping off multiple shots to the body and head at the drop of a dime. Had so much speed and power, could punch and hurt you wading in-and-out, going forward or backwards, with a cast iron chin of his own. Best combination puncher I've ever seen -- that includes Louis, Tyson, Leonard, et al. This is based primarily on '50s Middleweight material, when Robinson was over 30 years old and no longer at his peak or even his most dominant weight class. Crazy.

Comparing his record to anybody not named Greb, Langford, Charles, Armstrong is almost a certain joke as well.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Andyreww
I'm a pedophile.

Rep Power: 0 Andyreww is infamous around these partsAndyreww is infamous around these partsAndyreww is infamous around these partsAndyreww is infamous around these partsAndyreww is infamous around these partsAndyreww is infamous around these partsAndyreww is infamous around these partsAndyreww is infamous around these partsAndyreww is infamous around these partsAndyreww is infamous around these partsAndyreww is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 1,041,360.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post

I honestly don't see how he has come to be known primarily as this grand, elegant boxer. Dancer, my ass. Guy was a savage. Sure, He circled the ring with fluidity and balance and possessed a quick, accurate jab, but used it to set up and unload an array of power blows, effectively choosing his spots and ripping off multiple shots to the body and head at the drop of a dime. Had so much speed and power, could punch and hurt you wading in-and-out, going forward or backwards, with a cast iron chin of his own. Best combination puncher I've ever seen -- that includes Louis, Tyson, Leonard, et al. This is based primarily on '50s Middleweight material, when Robinson was over 30 years old and no longer at his peak or even his most dominant weight class. Crazy.

Comparing his record to anybody not named Greb, Langford, Charles, Armstrong is almost a certain joke as well.
Yup, I've seen him box, he's defintely one of the Greatest of all times, and his chin is legendary, but I've said it before, it's all good throwing combos at people who are willing to trade and go toe to toe with you, for me, a prime mayweather has too much body movement, slightly faster and his defense is alot better. I think he'd win but a close Split/UD decision
Old 05-06-2012, 09:10 PM
res
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 res has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 107,799,226.82
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo To the 80's cartoons. - WTFBALLZ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyreww View Post
Yup, I've seen him box, he's defintely one of the Greatest of all times, and his chin is legendary, but I've said it before, it's all good throwing combos at people who are willing to trade and go toe to toe with you, for me, a prime mayweather has too much body movement, slightly faster and his defense is alot better. I think he'd win but a close Split/UD decision
I think Ray would hit whatever he could hit, and keep hitting it until it broke.

15 rounds and I definitely give it to Ray. 10 rounds would give Mayweather a chance.

Last edited by res; 05-06-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Hands of Iron
Contender

Rep Power: 3 Hands of Iron has a spectacular aura aboutHands of Iron has a spectacular aura aboutHands of Iron has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 4,199.81

The match-up is too silly to entertain honestly. Mayweather was at his best south of 140 lbs IMO so it speaks well for his own greatness and ability that he's been successful at 147/154. Robinson would encounter the same difficulty finding Floyd's chin, but when he's ripping shots to the body in bunches and often, it is going to hurt much more than anybody Floyd has faced, not to mention they will be coming in much faster. Floyd does not have the power at 147 to bother him with his counter rights and Robinson wasn't short in the reflexes department himself. He doesn't need Floyd to go toe-to-toe to out-jab and out-work him, or even stop him. Of course if it came to blows he'd steam roll him in devastating fashion.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
res
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 res has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 107,799,226.82
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo To the 80's cartoons. - WTFBALLZ 

Quote:
The match-up is too silly to entertain honestly. Mayweather was at his best south of 140 lbs IMO so it speaks well for his own greatness and ability that he's been successful at 147/154. Robinson would encounter the same difficulty finding Floyd's chin, but when he's ripping shots to the body in bunches and often, it is going to hurt much more than anybody Floyd has faced, not to mention they will be coming in much faster. Floyd does not have the power at 147 to bother him with his counter rights and Robinson wasn't short in the reflexes department himself. He doesn't need Floyd to go toe-to-toe to out-jab and out-work him, or even stop him. Of course if it came to blows he'd steam roll him in devastating fashion.
Yeah I agree, I give Floyd atleast a chance in a 10 round fight but I still favor Ray. I think Floyd has no chance in a 15 round bout.

Last edited by res; 05-06-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,050,467,224.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 
Default Greb ?

Quote:

I dont even rate those guys as a legit comparison to Ray Robinson, I know they are highly popular and deserve to be. BUT, seriously theres no way Greb for instance was comparable, for a start he wasnt the complete fighter like Ray,, SRR had a dynamite punch... Greb was NOT a puncher compared to the likes of SRR or Les Darcy for that matter,,, I could go on about the others too, but hey I just woke up,, see ya'll in a few hours lol
Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by res View Post
Yeah I agree, I give Floyd atleast a chance in a 10 round fight but I still favor Ray. I think Floyd has no chance in a 15 round bout.
I hate the fact that title fights are only 12 rounds and in my opinion has wrecked title fights ever since and has created a new type of fighter,, something akin to the 10 round ND experts that were in the US a long time ago, I am sick to death of watching the likes of mayweather cruising through fights and not really taking any risks,,,, I wish we still had 20 round fights, they would have been true wars.......... No cruising for 20 rounds, that would have been impossible.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 AM
NChristo
The Keed

Rep Power: 17 NChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 18,032,389,062,269.60
Total Points: 18,033,389,142,702.41
1st Gift, woop-woop! - Raider Monkz Keep up the good posts! - "Marvelous" for being a heavyweight in history section - led you're very underrated on these boards - -pound4pound- who only drinks one beer? have another - -pound4pound- 
Super poster - Monkz one for the road - led The History Sections Top Poster Award - Barnburner Yo man, how you doing? From that persecution of Sonny thread, I read something about you being annoyed at Jab, whats going on? hope everythings well, gift is for being one the most knowledgeable posters and a stand-up guy :fing02: - RubenSonny pastrano-johnson..meh...that was in black and white - -MAKAVELLI- 
For a great 2012!!!!! asshole - TartanSoldier 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Barnburner Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Barnburner Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Barnburner Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Barnburner 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Barnburner Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Barnburner Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Barnburner Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Barnburner Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - Barnburner 
Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Barnburner Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Barnburner Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Barnburner Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Barnburner Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Barnburner 
Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Barnburner Autism - Barnburner AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Barnburner Head and Neck Cancer - Barnburner Hepatitis C - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoorty View Post
I dont even rate those guys as a legit comparison to Ray Robinson, I know they are highly popular and deserve to be. BUT, seriously theres no way Greb for instance was comparable, for a start he wasnt the complete fighter like Ray,, SRR had a dynamite punch... Greb was NOT a puncher compared to the likes of SRR or Les Darcy for that matter,,, I could go on about the others too, but hey I just woke up,, see ya'll in a few hours lol
Are you trying to imply that Darcy is greater then Greb ?.
You don't need to be a 'dynamite' puncher to be up there by the way, e.g Willie Pep and Henry Armstrong.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChristo View Post
Are you trying to imply that Darcy is greater then Greb ?.
You don't need to be a 'dynamite' puncher to be up there by the way, e.g Willie Pep and Henry Armstrong.
No I'm not implying that, just that Darcy had a serious dose of TNT in both hands, as for who is greater ?. unfair comparison, Darcy's last fight was at age 20. Darcy had he lived would probably have fought around 299 fights like Harry did. A Greb V Darcy fight around 1921 would have been one of the classics, 20 rounds of pure fury, and not much chance of a stoppage. when Darcy had his last fight Greb was still on the way up. The point I'm making about SRR is that there was nothing lacking in his armoury. Please understand that Greb is one of my favourites as well and yes a dynamite punch is not the be all and end all, but certainly I prefer Darcy,, a combination of iron chin/dynamite on both hands/skills/stamina/speed of hand and foot sure makes for an exciting fighter. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Darcy ?,, yes his early death may leave some questions in some minds, and the biggest question is how a Darcy V Greb fight would have turned out. Many decades have now passed, so I cant be sure especially since no film of a Greb fight exists, but Jack Doc Kearns certainly was a bit of an expert on fighters and had seen Greb, Darcy, Klaus, ketchel, Walker, Flowers, McGoorty, Clabby, Gibbons, Papke in action by the early 30's when he stated that in his opinion Les Darcy was the best Middleweight he ever saw, (he trained Walker so one would have expected Jack to have favoured Walker, but according to Kearns, walker wasnt a chance in that match-up). ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Boxing history is basically stats and opinions and great books and film,, nothing more.