Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 04-08-2012, 04:21 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 67 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,661,755,460,599,144.75
Total Points: 1,690,975,576,727,982.50
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmute View Post
I hate to bring this up in BH, but Margarito was caught cheating. That should automatically put him out of the question. That's me at least.
That's a good point.

The same applies for Mosley also for the last decade.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-08-2012, 05:02 PM
SCtrojansbaby
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 16 SCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 30,295,350.31
No Message - Toney616 Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy Christmas amigo - chav 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

God Damn the 70s was really weak era for WWs. Napoles was great but I can't imagine Cueves or palomino being top 3 in other decade

Oh and Margarito was caught attempting to cheat not actually cheating.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:30 PM
bojangles1987
bo jungle

Rep Power: 114 bojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 956,897,531,500.59
Total Points: 3,233,897,840,272.31
Thought ya could use a drink.. - romebyko For your triangle theory sig - rorymac merry xmas. - Ether Awesome sig... Love me some Breaking Bad. - Burning Phoenix that triangle theories sig haha - Alx. 
it takes courage just to agree to donate an organ to someone :fing02: - jose830 thanks for the update - jose830 Thanks for the video of Bradley-Provodnikov - kennylimon Cotto looked rejuvenated out there - -jose- for an atg poster! - jas 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
Don't think so.

Duran was only at WW until 81 he moved up after his loss to Leonard and never returned his only win at WW in the 80's was against Leonard which of course was a great win but can he be ranked in the Top 3 WW's of that decade with 1 win there and 1 year of fighting there? Don't think so.

I don't know I don't think Mayweather or Pacquaio has strong WW resume's. I guess Shane could be there he has some great wins.

I'd say Margarito would be in the Top 3 for the last era after all he was there for a long time dominating and was considered the best WW or one of the best for mutiple years.
I'd put Duran there, just because I'm a fan and I don't care how biased I am.

Of the 2000s, it's hard to argue against Mayweather and Margarito. Margarito for being the most consistently rated of the decade, and Mayweather for being the best fighter throughou. Pac has one win there, so I wouldn't even consider him. Mosley has Oscar and Margarito as high profile wins. Vernon Forrest has Mosley. Cotto has Mosley and Clottey maybe, if you want to mention him.

A third fighter during the 2000s is hard. No one really stuck around at the weight, except Margarito and Mayweather, most the guys I would think of have one or two good wins and that's it.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 67 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
God Damn the 70s was really weak era for WWs. Napoles was great but I can't imagine Cueves or palomino being top 3 in other decade

Oh and Margarito was caught attempting to cheat not actually cheating.
I'm surprised you don't rate Cuevas considering his list of Title defenses.

You tend to have a hard-on for Title defenses. Well, most of the time.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:47 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles1987 View Post
I'd put Duran there, just because I'm a fan and I don't care how biased I am.

Of the 2000s, it's hard to argue against Mayweather and Margarito. Margarito for being the most consistently rated of the decade, and Mayweather for being the best fighter throughou. Pac has one win there, so I wouldn't even consider him. Mosley has Oscar and Margarito as high profile wins. Vernon Forrest has Mosley. Cotto has Mosley and Clottey maybe, if you want to mention him.

A third fighter during the 2000s is hard. No one really stuck around at the weight, except Margarito and Mayweather, most the guys I would think of have one or two good wins and that's it.
In terms of the "best" then of course he's in there but greatness I just don't know he only really had 1 fight and 1 year in the 80's at WW and that was Leonard.

The 00's is hard :lol: Not many did an awful lot at the weight.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:53 PM
SCtrojansbaby
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 16 SCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm surprised you don't rate Cuevas considering his list of Title defenses.

You tend to have a hard-on for Title defenses. Well, most of the time.
What are you talking about? Title defenses show consistency which is important but obviously its not a good thing when one win over Harold Weston(very solid contender) is jewel of your reign. I don't think Cueves would be top 3 in any other decade

Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 04-08-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:18 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
What are you talking about? Title defenses show consistency which is important but obviously its not a good thing when Harold Weston(solid contender) is jewel of your reign. I don't think Cueves would be top 3 in any other decade
Not sure I mean you consider Steve Collins and Virgil Hill to be ranked highly I can only assume that is mainly down to Title defenses.

You consider Barrera to have one of the greatest fighters of all time, he has a long list of Title defenses.

Felix Trinidad another one.

Monzon another one.

Mike McCallum another one.

There's more, I can't remember.

Not that they aren't good or great fighters just seems a lot of the fighters you rank highly have a high number of Title defenses and I would have thought you would rate Cuevas quite highly.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:27 PM
SCtrojansbaby
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Not sure I mean you consider Steve Collins and Virgil Hill to be ranked highly I can only assume that is mainly down to Title defenses.

You consider Barrera to have one of the greatest fighters of all time, he has a long list of Title defenses.

Felix Trinidad another one.

Monzon another one.

Mike McCallum another one.

There's more, I can't remember.

Not that they aren't good or great fighters just seems a lot of the fighters you rank highly have a high number of Title defenses and I would have thought you would rate Cuevas quite highly.
I am pretty sure you could go down any poster's list of greatest fighters and you'll find guys who had a bunch of title defense. It isn't a coincidence most of the greatest fighters ever had long reigns.

Their are guys I have ranked high relative to the rest of Boxing Scene like Sumbu Kalambay who didn't have a great deal of title defenses and guys like Hagler who I rate low relative to the rest of boxing scene who had a great deal of title defenses
Old 04-08-2012, 09:09 PM
them_apples
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,709,624,465.76
Total Points: 6,910,757,470.27
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples

but in all honestly, titles dont mean so much anymore. I'd throw Duran in their and Pacquiao. They didn't have a lot of fights at the weight, but it's clear they were monsters during that time and weight class.

Pacquiao smashed Cotto, Clottey and Margarito, the little weight discrepancies shouldnt change things. Pacquiao was 148 lbs when he merked Marg. 149 when he beat Cotto, and 149 when he beat Clottey. 147 when he Beat DLH.

The Duran that beat SRL was in peak physical shape. He looked like the LW Duran. Pit him up against anyone at WW it's hard to see him lose.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 PM
New England
Heavy Duty

Rep Power: 100 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 105,601,273,890,669.31
Total Points: 111,603,955,534,218.38
Congrats on 3000 First Class Posts buddy! - The Surgeon Merry Christmas - The Surgeon for a great poster! - sweetpea87 Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 
thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe 
for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 
top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley 

Quote:
Perhaps.

Can't think of a fighter head and sholders above that could be 3rd for that decade. There were good fighters but none that stood out from the rest. After the Top 2.

add tony demarco to men in that tier at WW in the 50's as well

good looking list for each decade