Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 PM
iTalkMoney
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 7,960.74
Default Question about Heavy Bags for training...

Does anyone know of a good heavy bag that comes on a stand, that doesn't hang? My room is small with no garage and it would be nice to just hit the bag in the house, when i can't make it to the gym.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-11-2012, 03:53 PM
nicknj
Up and Comer

Total Points: 4,783.51

as many guys will say most freestanding bags are not the best. i have had the century wavemaster. you cant wail on it becuase it wont last. title just put out a new line of freestanding bags, the skyscraper its called, dying to hear some reviews. it looks good but you never know with freestanding.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 PM
MikeHawk
Amateur

Rep Power: 0 MikeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeMikeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeMikeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeMikeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeMikeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeMikeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeMikeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeMikeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeMikeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeMikeHawk has a reputation beyond reputeMikeHawk has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 220.82
Total Points: 591.53

I had an everlast freestanding and broke it in the first month of work. Dissapointed
Old 03-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Fearless
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 10 Fearless has much to be proud ofFearless has much to be proud ofFearless has much to be proud ofFearless has much to be proud ofFearless has much to be proud ofFearless has much to be proud ofFearless has much to be proud ofFearless has much to be proud ofFearless has much to be proud ofFearless has much to be proud of
Total Points: 100,000,047,230.93

Problem with the stands is that the legs hinder movement, so you can't circle the bag without having to watch out for the legs.

I don't have a place to hang my bag because my house is not brick. I use the Wavemaster XXL. Read up on Rosstraining, he goes through how to maximise the Wavemaster XXL. took me a few hours, but I filled up over 100kg of sand and water, it still moves though not a lot, but it doesn't trick for now.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 AM
Bullrush
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 Bullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,662,050,568.48
Total Points: 3,742,104,912.66

dont buy those free standing bags. thats not a real workout. you cant hit them hard, they always glide around. avoid them
Old 11-16-2013, 01:01 PM
JakeMax
Amateur

Total Points: 411.53

I agree with everyone that hanging heavy bags are better than free standing bags. First, the center of gravity is different on a free standing heavy bag and you don't get the same kind experience when you strike it. Second, hanging bags tend to move around a little. This can help you work on your timing and speed. Free standing bags don't move in the same way so you don't get this advantage.

Also, nearly all the free standing heavy bags I've used have been pretty bad Only Century seems to make decent free standing bags, so if you need to go with one I'd stick with Century. The Wavemaster XXL is a decent bag or you could also check out the BOB bag if you want something a little more realistic. This site seems to have a pretty objective review of the BOB bag.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:17 PM
mconstantine
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 mconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,500,000,166,134.71

If you HAVE to get a freestanding heavy bag, the Wavemaster XXL is the best one. I've had it and it lasted me a while but people are right, you can't hit it full power without it going all over the place. You can still get a good workout though.

The best option for a heavy bag that doesn't hang is the Century Cornerman. This is what I currently use and I love it. Nothing beats a bag that hangs, but this is the next best thing.

Pros
You don't need to load it with weights
Because of it's long and wide base, it doesn't move that much
It hangs down and swings so you can actually practice footwork
It can hold 100lb bags

Cons
There is really only one con, which is it takes a lot of space. Requires a lot of space and tall ceilings

http://www.centurymma.com/assets/images/15162-lg.jpg
Old 11-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,000,067,788.98
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

The heavy bag is primarely used to add strength, so hitting the bag at the height of your own chest to shoulders is the shortest straightest punch which should be your most powerfull shot!
You don't "aim" shots at a bag (to the head) you simply build strength and stamina.
Also once you hit the body really hard for a few rounds that head movement will slow down then its easier to hit that!!! HA!! Ray.