Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: Is Roach's padwork all wrong for facing counter-punchers ?
Roach's padwork is an excellent piece of tactical training against counter-punchers 5 27.78%
Roach's padwork is the wrong way to simulate on how to fight counter-punchers 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 PM
King of Sting
Banned

Rep Power: 0 King of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these parts
Bank: 196,354,674.41
Total Points: 196,493,266.19
Default Roach's padwork all wrong to prepare someone for counter-punchers ?

First, look at these vids and tell me what are the stark differences in each coaches mittwork.

Fast-fwd to .15 sec & 5:51 of vid

Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-03-2012, 11:44 PM
GrandpaBernard
motherfuc

Rep Power: 0 GrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these partsGrandpaBernard is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 54,176,250.75
For the insight! - Lazerjab Happy new years bro! - Lazerjab 

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Sting View Post
First, look at these vids and tell me what are the stark differences in each coaches mittwork.

Fast-fwd to .15 sec & 5:51 of vid

roach doesn't really know how to incorporate head movement (slipping along with bobbing and weaving) defense into his mitt work. Mike Tyson on the other hand actually trained on the pads for those skills.

You can clearly see roach's fighters suffer defensively due to the way they train. Their main method of defense is using foot movement around the ring. It's not the most efficient way to protect yourself.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 AM
sugersean15
The king of Boxing Scene

Rep Power: 13 sugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,548,282,473.72
Total Points: 9,278,710,839.71
Hilarious. - [KLTP] stream - rzagza turning green - MANIAC310 Great upload, lol - dancovboxer Keep you dry from the haters. - Kenny MF Powers 
You love it - rorymac this for u bro..MAYWEATHER MAFIA - Akhi No Message - hogwash All day! - Uncle Howie It's a brain - VEG 
Thanks - Terrel cheers bro! - Gotteskrieger For noticing Floyd drop his sparring partner in vid - BostonGuy 

all roches game plan is for all his fighters his hit then move to a side doesn't teach them t fight going backwards also this is why pacquiao has only had sucsess against slow flat footed guys the walk forward because roches gameplan is perfect for those kind of fighters but a good counter puncher or a skillful aggressive fighter would beat any of his fighters
Old 01-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Redd Foxx
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Rep Power: 7 Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,006,354,761,037.53
Total Points: 3,006,354,789,105.38
Happy New Year - Freedom. 

That's a lot speculation... I'm not a big Roach fan or anything but unless you've been there for a couple of his fight camps, I don't see how you can possibly make an accusation like this.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Luilun
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 Luilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond reputeLuilun has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,000,116,274.66

When I use to train my nephew what I did was I would have him throw a combo than I would throw a quick punch with the mitts I would train him to duck, slip or block that punch and he would than come back with a counter of his own. That is the proper way Roach is to slow to do that. I trained my nephew to 2009 National champ and he dislocated his shoulder in the national golden gloves to end his carrer it would have been a good fight Raushee warren vs Hector Luna which I know my nephew would have clean his clock, Had power of a 141 pounder fighting as a flywieght. That is why I know Hopkins faked that dislocted shoulder crap. The Labrum is usually torn when the shoulder is dislocated requiring surgery. He dislocted it again 8 months after his surgery sparring Joesph Diaz which was an even match after 1 year off. Doctor told him not to box again. So thats the end of that and I quit coaching
Old 01-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Konstantin
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 87 Konstantin has a reputation beyond reputeKonstantin has a reputation beyond reputeKonstantin has a reputation beyond reputeKonstantin has a reputation beyond reputeKonstantin has a reputation beyond reputeKonstantin has a reputation beyond reputeKonstantin has a reputation beyond reputeKonstantin has a reputation beyond reputeKonstantin has a reputation beyond reputeKonstantin has a reputation beyond reputeKonstantin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 19,690,880,993,266.70
Total Points: 19,690,881,112,795.82
Be Joyful - Gift Giver Thanks!!! - Chinch Congrats on 5K solid KO's,, - !! AI-Holmes!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luilun View Post
When I use to train my nephew what I did was I would have him throw a combo than I would throw a quick punch with the mitts I would train him to duck, slip or block that punch and he would than come back with a counter of his own. That is the proper way Roach is to slow to do that. I trained my nephew to 2009 National champ and he dislocated his shoulder in the national golden gloves to end his carrer it would have been a good fight Raushee warren vs Hector Luna which I know my nephew would have clean his clock, Had power of a 141 pounder fighting as a flywieght. That is why I know Hopkins faked that dislocted shoulder crap. The Labrum is usually torn when the shoulder is dislocated requiring surgery. He dislocted it again 8 months after his surgery sparring Joesph Diaz which was an even match after 1 year off. Doctor told him not to box again. So thats the end of that and I quit coaching
It's a pity you stopped.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Evil Abed
The Darkest Timeline...

Rep Power: 80 Evil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 122,126,095,142,283.22
Total Points: 122,145,912,814,510.28
Jimmy Malone sends his regards! - LeeVanCleef have a beer - -MAKAVELLI- Some fruit for a stalwart of this magnificent craft. - Robin Hood One ring to rule em all... - -KULT- even phantom need to eat.. - -KULT- 
some more food.. - -KULT- Happy beerday bro - Talisayen Feliz Cumpleanos - MANIAC310 happy birthday homie - hhs661 happy bday bro - chiguy91 
Thanks. I can't sent you green. - Carpe Diem merry x-mas! - chiguy91 you're the reason i dont need to check twitter lol - -MAKAVELLI- One of NSBs best - BostonGuy 20k - MELLY-MEL... 
Beer on the house on your 20k post... - jose830 i enjoy your posts mate, grats on 20k - Alx. To 20k more - Sweet Pea 50 Here's one on me. Congrats! - Led® your posts are always hilarious and entertaining - Alx. 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ThePhantom5 Childhood Cancer - ThePhantom5 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -KULT- 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -KULT- Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 

Old 01-04-2012, 03:19 AM
Weebler I
El Weeblerito I

Rep Power: 68 Weebler I has a reputation beyond reputeWeebler I has a reputation beyond reputeWeebler I has a reputation beyond reputeWeebler I has a reputation beyond reputeWeebler I has a reputation beyond reputeWeebler I has a reputation beyond reputeWeebler I has a reputation beyond reputeWeebler I has a reputation beyond reputeWeebler I has a reputation beyond reputeWeebler I has a reputation beyond reputeWeebler I has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 60,367,995,146.18
Total Points: 50,191,706,017,970.75
Ricky &amp;quot;The Hitman&amp;quot; Hatton - Freedom. We bicker a lot, are we brothers? Lol it's all in fun! Keeps the board alive - Atreyu Khalil have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier Happy holidays bro! - led* Top Poster - Dr Rumack 
Probably the most objective poster on this site. - Yosser Hughes Can't green so have this - Alx. Thanks - E.P.T. happy holidays, great poster - sugarsmosley super poster - jas 
Legend - jas 
Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - PensionKiller Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - bigsmoothh 

I don't think any trainer could train Pacquiao to beat Marquez at this point, he just has him worked out.

Where Roach did look bad was the Khan v Peterson fight, even though I felt Khan won, it's clear that Roach hasn't improved upon any of Khan's weaknesses, some of the things he did looked desperately amateur.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 AM
King of Sting
Banned

Rep Power: 0 King of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these partsKing of Sting is infamous around these parts
Bank: 196,354,674.41
Total Points: 196,493,266.19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
That's a lot speculation... I'm not a big Roach fan or anything but unless you've been there for a couple of his fight camps, I don't see how you can possibly make an accusation like this.
It's not speculation at all. Just look at the mittwork and watch Dumbquiao apply the same counters on fight night. Obviously, I don't think they put out the entire gameplan for the world to see prior to fight night. But, the end product looks alot like the padwork they show in their vids.

Perfect example of what I'm talkin' about is the PAC - Hatton fight. Remember when Hatton and May Sr. were clownin' Roach's padwork on 24/7, hook and roll under to counter Ricky's lead left hook. PAC and Roach showed exactly how they were gonna counter Ricky and the rest is history !!

The reason I don't think Roach's way of padwork doesn't work against someone like Juanita is because if you noticed, Roach is either standing still or moving forward, but someone like Juanita is not a stationary target and is constantly backing up.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:45 AM
Redd Foxx
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Rep Power: 7 Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,006,354,761,037.53
Total Points: 3,006,354,789,105.38
Happy New Year - Freedom. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Sting View Post
It's not speculation at all. Just look at the mittwork and watch Dumbquiao apply the same counters on fight night. Obviously, I don't think they put out the entire gameplan for the world to see prior to fight night. But, the end product looks alot like the padwork they show in their vids.

Perfect example of what I'm talkin' about is the PAC - Hatton fight. Remember when Hatton and May Sr. were clownin' Roach's padwork on 24/7, hook and roll under to counter Ricky's lead left hook. PAC and Roach showed exactly how they were gonna counter Ricky and the rest is history !!

The reason I don't think Roach's way of padwork doesn't work against someone like Juanita is because if you noticed, Roach is either standing still or moving forward, but someone like Juanita is not a stationary target and is constantly backing up.
Consider, for just a moment, that a youtube video might not be giving you full insight to an entire, elite-level training camp... Sorry, but this just sounds like internet know-it-all stuff. I've been in the gym and observed several PPV-level fighters in training and have seen how the speculation that people make online is rarely accurate in terms of what's really happening in the gym. There's so much more going on than what they show on youtube.