Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 PM
tito_bandito
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 8 tito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,000,323,816.49
cheers bro - chiguy91 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - ThePuertoRican 
Default How do you spar larger opponents?

I'm 5'9 and walk around 158 pounds. I had to spar this cat that was 6'4 and 190+ pounds. I started out jabbing and as soon as my jab tapped his wrist this fool backs up and throws his jab but I kept slipping it. Then he tells me to come forward to make it a phone booth fight but the previous guy he sparred was getting pushed way too much. I step in and throw a right hand and he backs up and leaves his left jab hanging there to keep me apart and to force to move to his right. That pissed me off and at the end this guy tells me I was fighting scared. I was just not trying to fall for his BS. I watched the Omar Henry vs Margarito sparring session and saw how Henry pushed margs with his left guard down and it cut his high guard from throwing punches so he threw a right hand. Any advice?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-30-2011, 11:22 PM
mushahadeen
Banned

Rep Power: 0 mushahadeen has a reputation beyond reputemushahadeen has a reputation beyond reputemushahadeen has a reputation beyond reputemushahadeen has a reputation beyond reputemushahadeen has a reputation beyond reputemushahadeen has a reputation beyond reputemushahadeen has a reputation beyond reputemushahadeen has a reputation beyond reputemushahadeen has a reputation beyond reputemushahadeen has a reputation beyond reputemushahadeen has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 4,805,896.64
sit on that you cunt - project xxx1 I know you need it - kyshenko team Add this to your collection - led you deserve a kick for being so stupid - Freedom. stop being racist - Freedom. 
you can pretend it's Floyd - Freedom. You'll need it for Chavez Jr - vacon04 ownage of a pactard - I'm so sorry love your style of posting, keep it up - Primera Pretend its Chavez Jr and sit on it. - Sir. Afiln 
No Message - whoseyourdaddy p4p best chavez jr fan - Perro For the 15th to dry your tears - dan_cov For Chavez Jr when you visit him in hospital - dan_cov 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - mathed Gay and Lesbian Pride - kyshenko team Gay and Lesbian Pride - MANIAC310 Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tito_bandito View Post
at the end this guy tells me I was fighting scared.
OMG this guy you were sparring is a f-ing idiot. don't let him bait you into fighting w/ his advantages.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:34 AM
cja07007
Contender

Rep Power: 5 cja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond reputecja07007 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 25,255.82
thanks for the link - BostonGuy No Message - BostonGuy No Message - BostonGuy No Message - BostonGuy No Message - BostonGuy 
No Message - BostonGuy 

You might think about jabbing at his shoulder and go to the body. Fighting a guy with a lot of length on you is hard but just start hitting him where you can and that might open things up.

Good luck
Old 12-31-2011, 02:22 AM
deejd
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 deejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 475,371,886.07
Total Points: 1,475,449,483.76

If you have good footwork, why not take the outside and force him to come toward you. Put the jab into the pit of his stomach. Mix in some feints upstairs and lead with the right to the body as well... eventually they'll become wary of the tactic and start dropping their hands.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:47 AM
tito_bandito
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 8 tito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond reputetito_bandito has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,000,323,816.49
cheers bro - chiguy91 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - ThePuertoRican 

Good pointers yall but its pretty odd how size differences make awkward sparring sessions you really cant work on anything but learn to adapt to physical advantages
Old 12-31-2011, 03:20 AM
johncods
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 26 johncods has a reputation beyond reputejohncods has a reputation beyond reputejohncods has a reputation beyond reputejohncods has a reputation beyond reputejohncods has a reputation beyond reputejohncods has a reputation beyond reputejohncods has a reputation beyond reputejohncods has a reputation beyond reputejohncods has a reputation beyond reputejohncods has a reputation beyond reputejohncods has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,611,489,859.41
Total Points: 5,751,872,569.26
super poster, great to see some honesty. - dancovboxer 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Gift Giver 

Some good pointers here. I pretty much spar with much bigger guys than me all the time as I'm one of the smaller guys in the gym so my advice is pretty much similar to the ones above. straight shots to the body or chest and use your feet.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Juof
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Juof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond reputeJuof has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,291,829,293,609.21
Total Points: 15,292,179,470,126.97
No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 
No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 No Message - jamiegeorge91 
here bro! I'll start off your next row. - jose830 you only need 3 more now to complete your gifts. I got you. - codey No Message - codey No Message - codey No Message - codey 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jamiegeorge91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - jamiegeorge91 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jamiegeorge91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - jamiegeorge91 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jamiegeorge91 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jamiegeorge91 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jamiegeorge91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - jamiegeorge91 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jamiegeorge91 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jamiegeorge91 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - jamiegeorge91 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jamiegeorge91 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jamiegeorge91 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jamiegeorge91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - jamiegeorge91 

If your fighting scared whys he making you bring the fight to him isnt he the bigger guy aswell? just ignore that fool
Old 01-03-2012, 01:08 AM
THE REED™
Most Definitely

Rep Power: 200000 THE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond reputeTHE REED™ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,529,693,996,819,892,480.00
Total Points: 1,529,695,020,766,737,408.00
For being so BOSS! - komodo Straight up G! - komodo Thanks man :hail: - komodo Top man! - komodo BOSS - komodo 
Good talking boxing sir - Atreyu Khalil 50k Posts - Unknown Champ for the Super 50,000 post... - jose830 Congrats on 50K solid KO's.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 50k Posts - BulgariasFinest 
50,000 - TBear Super Mod! Congrats on 50k Reed :D - Bossy 50K - -Mustang- 50k, congrats bro - MELLY-MEL... can't be touched. - Body Movin' 
Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy Birthday champ! - LoadedWraps Congrats on engagement! - Spacey1991 your daughter is adorable, Bless her :fing02: - -jose- is good to put a face to the name THE REED™ even doe you look nothing how I expected lol...I'll give you an 8.5 out of 10...good luck with your future wife :usa2: - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BattlingNelson Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - dans01234 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - S a m u r a i 
Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - S a m u r a i Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - mangler AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -veteran420- Head and Neck Cancer - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Makavelli Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Makavelli Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - QUELOQUE 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Freedom Fighter Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dorian.. Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - iBreakbeat Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Dorian Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Atreyu Khalil 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushahadeen View Post
OMG this guy you were sparring is a f-ing idiot. don't let him bait you into fighting w/ his advantages.
This....

Foreman said it best... If youre tall, thats your advantage, stay tall and use your jab and length... If your short, thats your advantage, stay low and out of reach or fight on the inside... If hes got 40 lbs on you, you should be a lot quicker than him, use your speed, slip those jabs and counter.

And never, never do what the other fighter wants you to do.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 AM
fundamentals
Amateur

Rep Power: 0 fundamentals has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Total Points: 985.40

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedickyaluss View Post
This....

Foreman said it best... If youre tall, thats your advantage, stay tall and use your jab and length... If your short, thats your advantage, stay low and out of reach or fight on the inside... If hes got 40 lbs on you, you should be a lot quicker than him, use your speed, slip those jabs and counter.

And never, never do what the other fighter wants you to do.
roger that!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Pacroid
Contender

Rep Power: 4 Pacroid has a spectacular aura aboutPacroid has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 75,656.10

Like Barrera fought Morales