Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 PM
DiegoFuego
Ask my dad, I'm GAY!

Rep Power: 45 DiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 316,610.78
Default Done trashing Margarito's career; let's reevaluate Cotto's

So many people were writing Cotto off after only TWO losses and one close fight with Clottey. I even heard people saying Cotto looked awful against Foreman and Mayorga. Why? Because he lost one or two rounds to each of those guys before TKOing them?

Going back before his career seemed to have turned for the worse...

He fought Mosley close in 2007 but did beat him. I haven't heard too many people claim Mosley deserved the win. 115-113 for Cotto makes it close yet pretty clear to a lot of people and seemed fair.

After he was bludgeoned with plaster for 11 rounds...

He fought a life and death battle with Clottey, but Clottey, like Margarito, has a great chin and gets stronger as the fight goes on. And Cotto just isn't going to out box someone the way Floyd or Pacquiao can. A lot of people came off this fight saying Cotto was shot. I came off it impressed that he pulled out a tough, tough fight given what he had gone through only a year before.

Now it's obvious the first loss to Margarito was BS and shouldn't count. And what if in the next 5-10 years, it's proven that Pacquiao was on the juice? Not saying he would have beaten Pacquiao, but, had the losses been removed, COTTO WOULD BE UNDEFEATED with wins over some great names.

He's not an all-time great top 100 fighter or anything, but do you really think Cotto is that far behind some of the better fighters of this decade, the likes of Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Mosley, etc? Because I really don't.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-04-2011, 03:37 PM
IMDAZED
You'll catch feelings

Rep Power: 93 IMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 239,160,265,295,548.62
Total Points: 1,000,241,163,430,810,368.00
for knowing your stuff! - natas206 thanks for the info. - TRUTH For that homerun of a post, bud. - Sweet Pea 50 An apple for one of BoxingScene's most knowledgeable posters - danc1984 BOOM - Fiend 
Excellent poster - ADDICT MOH. For continously educating NSB. - BattlingNelson been a while mate! - Tamis_Siensya No Message - WESS 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoFuego View Post
So many people were writing Cotto off after only TWO losses and one close fight with Clottey. I even heard people saying Cotto looked awful against Foreman and Mayorga. Why? Because he lost one or two rounds to each of those guys before TKOing them?

He fought Mosley close in 2007 but did beat him. I haven't heard too many people claim Mosley deserved the win. 115-113 for Cotto makes it close yet pretty clear to a lot of people and seemed fair.

He fought a life and death battle with Clottey, but Clottey, like Margarito, has a great chin and gets stronger as the fight goes on. And Cotto just isn't going to out box someone the way Floyd or Pacquiao can. A lot of people came off this fight saying Cotto was shot. I came off it impressed that he pulled out a tough, tough fight given what he had gone through only a year before.

Now it's obvious the first loss to Margarito was BS and shouldn't count. And what if in the next 5-10 years, it's proven that Pacquiao was on the juice? Not saying he would have beaten Pacquiao, but, had the losses been removed, COTTO WOULD BE UNDEFEATED with wins over some great names.

He's not an all-time great top 100 fighter or anything, but do you really think Cotto is that far behind some of the better fighters of this decade, the likes of Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Mosley, etc? Because I really don't.
Good post although I'm not quite sure Clottey can be considered as a fighter who gets stronger as the fight wears on. In fact, I'd say it's the opposite. Regardless, Cotto may not be the best of this era but he's a great fighter of this generation. I'd like to see him cap it off with a Pacquiao rematch or even Mayweather--whatever will get him big money.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:41 PM
DiegoFuego
Ask my dad, I'm GAY!

Rep Power: 45 DiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond reputeDiegoFuego has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 316,610.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDAZED View Post
Good post although I'm not quite sure Clottey can be considered as a fighter who gets stronger as the fight wears on. In fact, I'd say it's the opposite. Regardless, Cotto may not be the best of this era but he's a great fighter of this generation. I'd like to see him cap it off with a Pacquiao rematch or even Mayweather--whatever will get him big money.
Yeah, actually I was way off base with that Clottey claim. He completely fades late in fights. But he takes punishment similarly to Margarito and doesn't crack defensively. He just quits fighting.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:43 PM
IMDAZED
You'll catch feelings

Rep Power: 93 IMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond repute
for knowing your stuff! - natas206 thanks for the info. - TRUTH For that homerun of a post, bud. - Sweet Pea 50 An apple for one of BoxingScene's most knowledgeable posters - danc1984 BOOM - Fiend 
Excellent poster - ADDICT MOH. For continously educating NSB. - BattlingNelson been a while mate! - Tamis_Siensya No Message - WESS 

Quote:
Yeah, actually I was way off base with that Clottey claim. He completely fades late in fights. But he takes punishment similarly to Margarito and doesn't crack defensively. He just quits fighting.
Yup sounds about right lol.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:47 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 71 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,240,552,507,651,037.00
Total Points: 5,269,772,623,813,858.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:

Yes, I do.
Doctor_Tenma
Monster

Rep Power: 76 Doctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 212,278,539,911,888.62
Total Points: 212,308,672,445,607.03
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Toney Loc 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDAZED View Post
Agree, might as well since Floyd ain't getting it. Now that Cotto has a better team behind him, and both Mosley and Marquez exposed Pacquiao's weaknesses, maybe Cotto can do something with a better game plan. I hope he brings that right hand with him cause he's gonna need it, that stood out last night. I saw some glimpses of the Cotto from the Mosley fight.
IMDAZED
You'll catch feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
Yes, I do.
. How far behind do you think?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:48 PM
The Gambler1981
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 55 The Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond reputeThe Gambler1981 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,565,850,663,413.98
Total Points: 6,576,450,788,605.98
respect. - mellow_mood you deserve a metal for defending the woman beater, lol, nyahahaha - Tha_Greatest always a good poster. have a beer. - jreckoning \m/ - Kenny MF Powers thanks brother - mrpain81 
great easy logical advice you gave for others on the thunderdome for trolls like me, lol, everything you stated i have stated to many people but few people would take mind of what you wrote, lol, excellent post, plain  logic to keep your composure fo - Tha_Greatest No Message - mathed thatll be 5$ - sugarsmosley 

He is a very good fighter, but he is somewhat of a front runner although not everyone was able to take advantage when the going got tough. So while a poor trait at least he has shown the ability to pull it together if allowed.

What always bothers me about Cotto is when he fights going backwards, because he does it to avoid damage but ends up taking more than if he just fought aggressively. A short stocky guy should press inside and get inside the range where the other guy can be effective and work from there, moving away just doesn't suit him because he never has the range advantage to take advantage of moving away.

Cotto has real talent and boxing skills but to me he lacks that attention to detail that really allows a guy to move beyond being very good, but his career has been solid he avenged one of his loses and his other defeat is to one of the top couple guys of the era, don't know how you can really knock that to much.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:50 PM
NAPO
Business are Unfinish

Rep Power: 27 NAPO has a reputation beyond reputeNAPO has a reputation beyond reputeNAPO has a reputation beyond reputeNAPO has a reputation beyond reputeNAPO has a reputation beyond reputeNAPO has a reputation beyond reputeNAPO has a reputation beyond reputeNAPO has a reputation beyond reputeNAPO has a reputation beyond reputeNAPO has a reputation beyond reputeNAPO has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 105,316.83
Total Points: 10,005,279,723.73
The boss - mangler Cocktail hour bro - mangler A Victory Toast! - The Surgeon 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - mangler Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr449 Childhood Cancer - Sox8055 

Quote:
Cotto never faded in the Clottey fight.

Cotto was boxing Clottey pretty good until (in my opinion) that intenational headbutt came..Cotto couldn't see jack **** trough that eye.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:51 PM
IMDAZED
You'll catch feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
Agree, might as well since Floyd ain't getting it. Now that Cotto has a better team behind him, and both Mosley and Marquez exposed Pacquiao's weaknesses, maybe Cotto can do something with a better game plan. I hope he brings that right hand with him cause he's gonna need it, that stood out last night. I saw some glimpses of the Cotto from the Mosley fight.
Me too. A little slower but it's like he dusted off some of the skills last night. Yeah, a Pac rematch isn't such a bad idea. Don't know if he can drop to 147 though.