Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 11-18-2011, 06:09 PM
New England
Strong champion.

Rep Power: 108 New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 224,117,456,054,261.19
Total Points: 230,120,137,731,432.53
for a great poster! - sweetpea87 Drinks on me brother - BoxingGenius27 I hate boxing too, lmaaoooooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 thanks for the green...always enjoy reading your post...green you once I can again... - jose830 great poster award - jazluvr 
Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack 
i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS 
For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 ugly arms - -Weltschmerz- 44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastrano View Post
What does that mean??
i should have made the distinction between professional and amateur explicit

communism blows // blew or has blown for the talent pool in pro boxing

the process (and the outlawing of professional boxing) is great for amateur boxing.

nothing against commies, either

lol
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-18-2011, 07:42 PM
dchampishere
El Boxeador Cubano

Rep Power: 7 dchampishere has a reputation beyond reputedchampishere has a reputation beyond reputedchampishere has a reputation beyond reputedchampishere has a reputation beyond reputedchampishere has a reputation beyond reputedchampishere has a reputation beyond reputedchampishere has a reputation beyond reputedchampishere has a reputation beyond reputedchampishere has a reputation beyond reputedchampishere has a reputation beyond reputedchampishere has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 240,051,984.14
No Message - dchampishere No Message - dchampishere No Message - dchampishere No Message - dchampishere No Message - dchampishere 
No Message - dchampishere No Message - U_TALKING_2_ME? No Message - U_TALKING_2_ME? No Message - U_TALKING_2_ME? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChristo View Post
I know Rigondeaux was caught and taken back, Napoles had Castro after him until he earned his place in Mexico, Gamboa's story is incredible, Luis Garcia, Mike Perez and Alexis Acosta have had problems with the Cuban Government as well after defecting over here, etc.

Savon seems to have the more names that made something of themselves as a professional on his amateur resume and won more World Amateur Championships, I don't know much about them personally other then they was the cream of the crop of Heavyweight amateur boxing at the time and both were great too watch.
what is the true diference is the way they won Stevenson was smooth and dominated with his big right hand and yes he lost but when he won he looked much better doing it. felix was effective but it was not always pretty. Hell i remember Jorge luis Gonzalez was regarded better than Felix. when they expect you to win anyway style makes a huge diference in Cuba
Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 PM
frosty-g
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 frosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 15,058,723.20

Quote:
It means that communism has stopped some amazing athletes from going pro so it's a blow to professional boxings talent pool.
E.g Cuba, anyone that wants to turn pro first has to leave the country which would be difficult enough then spend the rest of the time avoiding capture.
you seem to not realise that it is the fact of the communist system that those countries had such good boxing programmes in the first place.

you'll find that as well as stevenson, savon etc. who stayed in cuba also boxers such as gamboa and rigondeaux who have left all credit the system for having made them what they are.
with no communism, the programme wouldn't exist.

savon wouldn't have even been a boxer as he was destined for a career as a runner until the cuban sports schools system decided he should give boxing a go.

it's a little paradoxical perhaps- they create the best but then they can't easily turn pro, but take away the system and cuba would have only ever been a little above average rather a real powerhouse.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 PM
NChristo
The Keed

Rep Power: 17 NChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 70,707,441,129,022.11
Total Points: 70,708,441,232,997.00
1st Gift, woop-woop! - Raider Monkz Keep up the good posts! - "Marvelous" for being a heavyweight in history section - led you're very underrated on these boards - -pound4pound- who only drinks one beer? have another - -pound4pound- 
Super poster - Monkz one for the road - led The History Sections Top Poster Award - Barnburner Yo man, how you doing? From that persecution of Sonny thread, I read something about you being annoyed at Jab, whats going on? hope everythings well, gift is for being one the most knowledgeable posters and a stand-up guy :fing02: - RubenSonny pastrano-johnson..meh...that was in black and white - -MAKAVELLI- 
For a great 2012!!!!! asshole - TartanSoldier 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Barnburner Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Barnburner Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Barnburner Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Barnburner 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Barnburner Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Barnburner Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Barnburner Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Barnburner Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - Barnburner 
Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Barnburner Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Barnburner Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Barnburner Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Barnburner Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Barnburner 
Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Barnburner Autism - Barnburner AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Barnburner Head and Neck Cancer - Barnburner Hepatitis C - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty-g View Post
you seem to not realise that it is the fact of the communist system that those countries had such good boxing programmes in the first place.

you'll find that as well as stevenson, savon etc. who stayed in cuba also boxers such as gamboa and rigondeaux who have left all credit the system for having made them what they are.

savon wouldn't have even been a boxer as he was destined for a career as a runner until the cuban sports schools system decided he should give boxing a go.

it's a little paradoxical perhaps- they create the best but then they can't easily turn pro, but take away the system and cuba would have only ever been a little above average rather a real powerhouse.
Without the communist system they still created some of the greatest boxers ever and 3 of the most talented ever in Kid Chocolate, Kid Gavilan and Jose Napoles, that's not including Luis Rodriguez, Kid Tunero, Sugar Ramos, Jose Legra, Florentino Fernandez, Black Bill, Benny Paret all of them came before Castro took over and all of them had fantastic careers, Cuba was bound to make great boxers with or without the system as is evident.

Last edited by NChristo; 11-18-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:10 PM
crold1
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 23 crold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond reputecrold1 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 110,194,451.02
I totally agree with your p4p rankings, Pac is definitely above Floyd. - Neutral to one of the greats - jas 

Quote:
Without the communist system they still created some of the greatest boxers ever and 3 of the most talented ever in Kid Chocolate, Kid Gavilan and Jose Napoles, that's not including Luis Rodriguez, Kid Tunero, Sugar Ramos, Jose Legra, Florentino Fernandez, Black Bill, Benny Paret all of them came before Castro took over and all of them had fantastic careers, Cuba was bound to make great boxers with or without the system as is evident.
This. Cuban boxing was actually EONS better before communism.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:39 PM
frosty-g
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 frosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond reputefrosty-g has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crold1 View Post
This. Cuban boxing was actually EONS better before communism.
that's utter rubbish.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:24 PM
frosty-g
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
they certainly have always produced some great boxers, as they still do, but there was never as much depth of talent.
as one example just look at the 2008 olympic squad and those that defected just before which include rigondeaux, gamboa, lara, solis and a number of others. there's plenty of other examples that could be made, that's just a recent one. imagine if all the squad from the barcelona olympics had turned pro!
Old 11-19-2011, 03:27 PM
frosty-g
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
U better watch out or else that ***head JAB is gonna delete your post. Like he did mine. Yea, thats right, you heard me you prik! Who put you in charge here, I truly wonder. Now ban me you loser. Thats all you got left. ****in idiotic capitalist pig. Spreading your hillbilly redneck bs propaganda around here.
ah well, whatever whatever. always makes me laugh how people talk about censorship in communist countries whereas capitalists are worse for it. and i've lived under both types of government so i'm speaking from my own experience.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Jim Jeffries
rugged individualist

Rep Power: 88 Jim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 73,289,114,453,705.47
Total Points: 73,289,116,226,677.42
U.S.A. Forever!!!!!!! - Mike Tyson77 Have a brew with your boy Pea, Jim.... - Shin Akuma have a gift.. - Miyagi To a very intelligent poster! - abosworth Republican Jockholder - alfonso13702 
merry xmas - msagrain Happy 10K Posts - Golden Boy 360 congrats on 10K jim...cheers - Makavelli 10,000!! - tyson 10k! - Equilibrium 
Too bad it ain't Cotto's Schlong!! - chicano79us Preach on!!! - -veteran420- have some san miguel - Akinapepemo have some san miguel - Akinapepemo yeah - BoxingTech718 
You get the Glen Beck award. Thanks for having my back brother - Mike Tyson77 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy Holidays  Jim.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays bro! - led* Sorry you're asian and ugly.  This will make you feel better. - robust_ 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Mr._Pink World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - street bully AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Akinapepemo 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty-g View Post

Well that's absolutely wonderful. A guy that didn't have any desire to be a boxer, is forced to get his brains bashed in for nothing as an amateur. And then denied the luxury of turning pro, so that he can at least make some money for his efforts.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:29 PM
JAB5239
Banned

Rep Power: 0 JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 19,946,911,790,948.20
Total Points: 19,946,911,901,536.65
For giving me a chance to learn from the best. - DWiens421 For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler 
Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage 
for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj 
To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Quote:
U better watch out or else that ***head JAB is gonna delete your post. Like he did mine. Yea, thats right, you heard me you prik! Who put you in charge here, I truly wonder. Now ban me you loser. Thats all you got left. ****in idiotic capitalist pig. Spreading your hillbilly redneck bs propaganda around here.

Ask and you shall receive. Your next incarnation will be banned as well.