Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
View Poll Results: What do you give most importance when determining the greatness of a fighter?
Resume. 34 57.63%
Skills. 3 5.08%
Both. 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 10-06-2011, 12:17 PM
any craic lad?
W-A-R

Rep Power: 17 any craic lad? has a reputation beyond reputeany craic lad? has a reputation beyond reputeany craic lad? has a reputation beyond reputeany craic lad? has a reputation beyond reputeany craic lad? has a reputation beyond reputeany craic lad? has a reputation beyond reputeany craic lad? has a reputation beyond reputeany craic lad? has a reputation beyond reputeany craic lad? has a reputation beyond reputeany craic lad? has a reputation beyond reputeany craic lad? has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,000,000,000,172,622.12
great poster - El Cabron WARGARITO! - Rich Loc Jr drink up lad.. - the mesiah 

Resume.Skills are great and all but you have the right stuff upstairs to pull through the moments when things are going against you
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
cornholioda3rd
Contender

Rep Power: 5 cornholioda3rd has a reputation beyond reputecornholioda3rd has a reputation beyond reputecornholioda3rd has a reputation beyond reputecornholioda3rd has a reputation beyond reputecornholioda3rd has a reputation beyond reputecornholioda3rd has a reputation beyond reputecornholioda3rd has a reputation beyond reputecornholioda3rd has a reputation beyond reputecornholioda3rd has a reputation beyond reputecornholioda3rd has a reputation beyond reputecornholioda3rd has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 13,832.81

Skills are pretty important though. Would anyone rate Ricardo Lopez if you saw his resume? He was a hall of famer because of his amazing skills.
However, he will never be considered one of the greatest, because he doesn't have any big name wins in his career.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Bombs
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Bombs has a reputation beyond reputeBombs has a reputation beyond reputeBombs has a reputation beyond reputeBombs has a reputation beyond reputeBombs has a reputation beyond reputeBombs has a reputation beyond reputeBombs has a reputation beyond reputeBombs has a reputation beyond reputeBombs has a reputation beyond reputeBombs has a reputation beyond reputeBombs has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 33,275,701,384.75
Total Points: 35,076,286,625.43
for being agile and athletic wow AND with power.. thanks I guess. awesome cool. amazing athlete. - Bombs you are a real treasure wow so much talent and gift and POWER you are a hidden gem.. okay thanks. - Bombs haha here a beer for your training to get you off track.. okay ha im too strong its okay wont affect me. - Bombs another beer get drunk and focked up in training haha.. ookay i am too powerful and good. i will be okay thanks. - Bombs get fat!! hahahahahahah nyahah. oookay hah lol nah metabolism too fast too in shape too strong amazing okay thanks. - Bombs 
okay here healthy fruit to help sorry hehe.. okayy haha. now that is protein and very good for me. i am becoming even more powerful thanks. - Bombs more fruit!!  okay wow haha cool. i am becoming too powerful. .  i am scared but okay. this power haha thanks. cool. - Bombs to the classiest gentleman on boxingscene. so gentle and classy thanks okay. cool. i try. - Bombs another wine.. get drunk LOL!!  .. woww why would you do that I thought you wanted the best for me and my training and my career. wtf?? okay cool i guess.. - Bombs here the green lantern ring so more powerful you become.. wowo hahah i am so strong and powerful. incredible. give me more lolhahah - Bombs 
Thanks, cheers! - eddie_monster Have a bottle of champagne on me, appreciate the donation brother - ThePrince For quickly becoming one of my favorite posters... - TintaBoricua nice juanma comment - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest .....entertaining poster - MANIAC310 my fave pactard, thanks for the advice - Alx. with a dildo - Ogecca MaMa from Avon, your favorite - Ogecca MaMa 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Disposable Arts Gay and Lesbian Pride - CRASH DUMMY Gay and Lesbian Pride - CRASH DUMMY 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholioda3rd View Post
Skills are pretty important though. Would anyone rate Ricardo Lopez if you saw his resume? He was a hall of famer because of his amazing skills.
However, he will never be considered one of the greatest, because he doesn't have any big name wins in his career.
If you don't put your skills to the test, how do you know you're great?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
KickAzz
Banned

Rep Power: 0 KickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,000,069,668.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaded View Post
Trainers of racehorses dont go on about what names they beat they are interested in the running , the time and how often their champion can repeat close to his best time on race day ,,,, so like with racehorses the resume is only a record of numbers it dont tell the true story on face value .
you make a good argument, but this isn't a good analogy for boxing.

it doesn't matter who racehorses beat, what matters is their time which is measurable.

boxing doesn't have a measuring stick like horse racing... therefore a boxer's resume is all we've got and if a boxer's resume isn't composed of good to great opposition, its hard to determine how skillful said boxer is.

take wlad and vitaly for example. it's clear that they are very good possibly great, but the opposition available to them makes it hard to categorize them as great.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:56 PM
KickAzz
Banned

Rep Power: 0 KickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond reputeKickAzz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGuy View Post
I hear a lot that Riddick Bowe had good boxing skills and technique, power and size but rarely do you hear him being ranked that high in the list of ATG heavyweights because of his sub-par resume....
yep... and larry holmes got it worse because he boxed during a very poor HW division
Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 PM
The Surgeon
Days Of Glory

Rep Power: 56 The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 405,773,734,222.81
Total Points: 200,518,758,511,755.53
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombs View Post
Which do you consider more when determining the greatness of a fighter?

Huh what do you think punky boys?
Resume does. Its fact. Skill is basically the eye test and open to debate, its subjective...
Tyson for example suffers ATG wise due to resume, Eye test wise he is clearly ATG material
Old 10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
projectpaki
Contender

Total Points: 4,490.63

both, but people for some reason value resume more than skills. I think even if you have a lot of losses, you still can be a dangerous, competitive fighter if you have the skills.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:27 PM
KickAzz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectpaki View Post
both, but people for some reason value resume more than skills.
people don't value resume more than skills. the only way to measure skills is by fighting the best opponents thus having a great resume.

Quote:
I think even if you have a lot of losses, you still can be a dangerous, competitive fighter if you have the skills.
it's ok to lose to other great boxers. for example there's no shame in cotto losing to pac. its ok to lose to mediocre boxers too (cause sometimes a boxer has off nights, like Lewis to Rahman), as long as you avenge your loss.

you can have all the skills in the world, but if you don't fight against the best, those skills don't mean sh*t. You have the potential to be great, but you are in fact not great.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM
madsweeney
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 madsweeney has a reputation beyond reputemadsweeney has a reputation beyond reputemadsweeney has a reputation beyond reputemadsweeney has a reputation beyond reputemadsweeney has a reputation beyond reputemadsweeney has a reputation beyond reputemadsweeney has a reputation beyond reputemadsweeney has a reputation beyond reputemadsweeney has a reputation beyond reputemadsweeney has a reputation beyond reputemadsweeney has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,555,555,771,261.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectpaki View Post
both, but people for some reason value resume more than skills. I think even if you have a lot of losses, you still can be a dangerous, competitive fighter if you have the skills.
Resume is proof of one's skills, that is why it is revered so much.