Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
View Poll Results: Hardest punching Middleweight
Julian Jackson 15 28.85%
Gerald McClellan 5 9.62%
Nigel Benn 3 5.77%
Stanley Ketchel 13 25.00%
Bob Fitzsimmons 1 1.92%
Thomas Hearns 9 17.31%
Rocky Graziano 1 1.92%
Mickey Walker 0 0%
Sugar Ray Robinson 3 5.77%
Felix Trinidad 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 09-14-2011, 01:26 PM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,050,461,211.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England View Post
also, even at mw, and especially at jr mw, hearns has got to be in the equation

he had true one punch power with the hook to the body or the head (terrific punch. horribly underrated weapon.)
and maybe the best right hand ever thrown

robinson is in the same boat here
he'd likely be among best ever at 154, if he's consensus best ww at all time, and consensus top 3 (5 at the least) at mw.

he had one punch power with either hand at MW, no reason to think it wouldn't be there at 54, unless they were fighting in the twilight zone

MW in my opinion is where the magic happens most for punching. at or around MW

the guys have the chin and the speed to sustain action
but there are still guys with enough power to cause the drama, for every second of every round, that comes with the possibility of a fight ending or turning on one shot.

and if you line a regular guy up in front of a flyweight and have him take his sunday punch he's probably staying upright, or at least conscious
if you do that with a big MW with punching power you're flooring it to the hospital with a half dead man in your backseat

there's an appeal there, especially with the layperson

there have been some absolute slugfests at MW
It is my favourite division... but of course, I am biased....... it's Darcy's division, I can compare him to even the moderns like Hopkins and Roy Jones (like Roy he was big enough to fight LHW comfortably, and had the chin to make it with any LHW)....... also it has Robinson, Zale, Basilio, Hagler, Greb, Steele, Basilio, Fullmer, Sands, LaMotta, Fitzsimmons, Kid McCoy, Burley...... and on and on and on. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BUT !!!!..... I can't say with any certainty that it is the All-Time BEST division...... The Welterweights and Lightweights are also major contenders,.......... It would take time to compile a list of the top 100 in all the best divisions.......... the one with the most impressive top 100, will be THE ONE. I mean there are at least 50 or more GREATS in the WW and LW divisions. I admit that the lightweights are probably the most exciting,...... they have oodles of speed and some like Lew Jenkins hit so hard that they dropped lightHeavyweights and OUT in sparring sessions................................ IT's a tough call,,,,,,, but it's out of the MW, WW & LW's.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-14-2011, 01:31 PM
SCtrojansbaby
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 16 SCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond reputeSCtrojansbaby has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,280,583.95
No Message - Toney616 Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy Christmas amigo - chav 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoorty View Post
Yeah but there is plenty of footage of the 50's,........ miles and miles of film with live commentary. I never even hear you talk about anybody from the 50's,...... I just get frustrated by short posts with the same usual suspects. It's fine to have your favourites, but is there anything wrong with looking around for other fighters TO ADD TO THE ONES YOU LIKE ALREADY. I have favourites too, but I want to hear about fighters that I know little about....... I'm always trying to expand. Have you never picked up a book about old fights and just read ?????...... it's fun and educational.
Can you show me at least 5 full fights of Carmen Basillo or Bob Fitzsimmons or Stanley Ketchel or anyone else you want me to talk about and at least 1 other fight that the opponents in those 5 fights were in. You do that I promise I will take an interest in them

Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 09-14-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:43 PM
dan_cov
Graceful God Golovkin

Rep Power: 58 dan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond reputedan_cov has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,999,785,031.93
have a happy and safe new years Mr. dan cov - jose830 Top bloke - Aztec Wanker Great Poster!!! - E.P.T. all aboard the rigo train!!! great poster. - Barnburner victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS 
Dan the Man, the High Priest of the Cult of Rigo - CubanGuyNYC Cheers to you, my friend! Rigo rules! - CubanGuyNYC Cult of Rigo!!! For Life!!!!!! We Here Baby!!! - Cubanborn87 Super BScene member! - jazluvr WAR GODtthysse!!!! - thuggery 
:beerchug: - jose830 thank you good sir - thuggery Thanks man - Jloro dan_cov makes Boxingscene a better place - valero Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed 
Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!! - mathed thanks - DannYankee09 p4p poster.  Thank you for keeping it 100% - damit305 you have great predictions - here's an apple to sustain that brain power - jas 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - ƒallenloki Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - ƒallenloki Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - ƒallenloki Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Daniel Alpha 
Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Daniel Alpha Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - codey 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Not on the list or even been mentioned, what about Marvin Hagler? Hagler had a hell of a punch on him!
I wouldn't say him personally just a bit shocked nobody mentioned him as IMO his power is right up there & the the opposition he was knocking out was as good if not better than most/all those guys.

For me it's between the G-man & Hearns. I think I am probably going to go with the G-man.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 PM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 9 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,050,461,211.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
Can you show me at least 5 full fights of Carmen Basillo or Bob Fitzsimmons or Stanley Ketchel or anyone else you want me to talk about and at least 1 other fight that the opponents in those 5 fights were in. You do that I promise I will take an interest in them
Fitzsimmons ?????... of course not, but why not just read a little bit about him, he's very important in the scheme of things................... But yes there are at least 7 Full Basilio fights,..... after all his career was covered very well as he was there in the TELEVISION ERA when Pabst Beer was always on there with ads and everything. I have seen full fights or virtually full fights with Carmen against Robinson in two fights, every second of all 30 rounds, The two full fights with Tony DeMarco, 4 rounds of the Saxton fight, The full fight with Gavilan....... two full fights with Gene Fullmer,... and ditto the fight with Chuck Davey, Peter Mueller, Billy Graham and Art Aragon...................... Fullmer has a lot of fights....... Robinson's MW career has over 12 at least full fights............ -------------------------------------- IS THAT ENOUGH FOR YOU ???????........ They are all downloaded onto my computer.