Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
View Poll Results: Jose Napoles vs Thomas Hearns
Napoles Via KO/TKO 1 10.00%
Napoles Via Decision 0 0%
Hearns Via KO/TKO 8 80.00%
Hearns Via Decision 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 AM
wmute
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 31 wmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond reputewmute has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 17,032,756,631.86
Total Points: 17,032,955,736.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
Lets take a look at those three KO losses:

Hagler - Hearns broke his right-hand in the opening round

Leonard (1) - Hearns had never fought past 8rds and was more exhausted than KOd

Barkley (1) - Hearns seconds away from victory when caught with thunderous left-hook (lapse in concentration)
Hagler - right hand got nothing to do with one's chin. It can influence the tactic of the fight, sure. Doesn't change how his chin held up to punches, thouhg.

Leonard - Hearns was hurt twice in the fight, not just toward the end when he was clearly exhausted as you pointed out. (As a sidnote, I would have loved to see an immediate rematch on 12 rounds, or at 154. It's a knock on SRL resume IMO)

Barkley - if he had a better chin he would have survived the lapse in concentration.

Plus Hearns was occasionally down in other fights.

Like I said before, not china, but certainly a liability, and the weakest part of Hearns' game.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-03-2011, 02:01 PM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,050,469,010.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Hearns would look huge next to Napoles. As against Monzon, Napoles would be forced to walk in while attempting to slip the Hearns jab, leaving himself open for right hands. The good news is that Hearns isn't as strong and durable as Monzon but the bad news is that he's faster and more powerful. Monzon's thudding blows wore down the game but outmatched Napoles and cut him badly by the mid rounds.

Napoles isn't completely without a chance as he put on intelligent pressure effectively and hit hard enough to hurt anybody at welterweight but it's one of the toughest match-ups that I can think of for him at 147.
I agree that this is a very dangerous fight for Napoles,... but I give him a chance of stopping Tommy,... I always had a question about the Hearns chin .... and that is the one quality in a fighter that I hold above all others. I've seen so many fantastically gifted fighters that have suddenly been hurt get totally blown away, especially Napoles,.. he was one of the best finishers that I've seen,..... well, actually, so is Tommy,..... I presume the Monzon fight was at MW,....... Jose was no Jose at MW,...... he was natural at WW, and he also gives Ray Leonard a very hard WW test,...... throw in Duran,....... I think Napoles would have been the 5th member of the awesome foursome of the 80's. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The one guy out of the extended 5 that does NOT have any trouble with Napoles is Hagler,... Marvellous one KO's Napoles are the Newspaper Headlines there.. Hearns would stop him 1 in 2 fights,......... And Dare I say it,.... Napoles can KO Hearns 1 in 2.................................. I gave my vote to Jose,.... only because (maybe).... because I DO RATE Napoles above Tommy in terms of Welterweight Division achievement........ but he can't match Hearns above 147,..... Tommy can easily carry himself successfully against most MW's and SMW's and will make short work of him there. I think making the WW limit was a tough ask for a prime Hearns,..... Leonard exposed a few flaws in their WW bout........ Maybe a better question at WW is Ray vs Jose.....Am I a POET too ????
Old 09-03-2011, 02:07 PM
ghns1133
#1 p4p ATG/GOAT

Rep Power: 10 ghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,679,913,011.64
Total Points: 4,730,272,497.88
Some Green! - Barnburner on me - danny711 and a shot - danny711 actually theres beer inside - kyshenko team imagine it's Floyd when you stick it in - Freedom. 
heres your gift have fun - sugersean15 Boss lady aint shiit! - Uncle Howie for teh vids - ƒallenloki 

i think it would be allot like hearns betitez
Old 09-03-2011, 02:21 PM
NChristo
The Keed

Rep Power: 17 NChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 22,869,429,464,582.81
Total Points: 22,870,429,549,017.58
1st Gift, woop-woop! - Raider Monkz Keep up the good posts! - "Marvelous" for being a heavyweight in history section - led you're very underrated on these boards - -pound4pound- who only drinks one beer? have another - -pound4pound- 
Super poster - Monkz one for the road - led The History Sections Top Poster Award - Barnburner Yo man, how you doing? From that persecution of Sonny thread, I read something about you being annoyed at Jab, whats going on? hope everythings well, gift is for being one the most knowledgeable posters and a stand-up guy :fing02: - RubenSonny pastrano-johnson..meh...that was in black and white - -MAKAVELLI- 
For a great 2012!!!!! asshole - TartanSoldier 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Barnburner Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Barnburner Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Barnburner Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Barnburner 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Barnburner Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Barnburner Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Barnburner Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Barnburner Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - Barnburner 
Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Barnburner Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Barnburner Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Barnburner Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Barnburner Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Barnburner 
Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Barnburner Autism - Barnburner AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Barnburner Head and Neck Cancer - Barnburner Hepatitis C - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoorty View Post
I agree that this is a very dangerous fight for Napoles,... but I give him a chance of stopping Tommy,... I always had a question about the Hearns chin .... and that is the one quality in a fighter that I hold above all others. I've seen so many fantastically gifted fighters that have suddenly been hurt get totally blown away, especially Napoles,.. he was one of the best finishers that I've seen,..... well, actually, so is Tommy,..... I presume the Monzon fight was at MW,....... Jose was no Jose at MW,...... he was natural at WW, and he also gives Ray Leonard a very hard WW test,...... throw in Duran,....... I think Napoles would have been the 5th member of the awesome foursome of the 80's. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The one guy out of the extended 5 that does NOT have any trouble with Napoles is Hagler,... Marvellous one KO's Napoles are the Newspaper Headlines there.. Hearns would stop him 1 in 2 fights,......... And Dare I say it,.... Napoles can KO Hearns 1 in 2.................................. I gave my vote to Jose,.... only because (maybe).... because I DO RATE Napoles above Tommy in terms of Welterweight Division achievement........ but he can't match Hearns above 147,..... Tommy can easily carry himself successfully against most MW's and SMW's and will make short work of him there. I think making the WW limit was a tough ask for a prime Hearns,..... Leonard exposed a few flaws in their WW bout........ Maybe a better question at WW is Ray vs Jose.....Am I a POET too ????
Napoles was a natural Lightweight but he was forced to move up to get a title shot, in terms of achievements at WW I'd have Napoles above Hearns by quite a bit, Napoles is a top 5 WW imo, beat the better opponents and had quite a reign there. What did Tommy do at WW to be rated above him ?.

Last edited by NChristo; 09-03-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:26 PM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,050,469,010.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChristo View Post
Napoles was a natural Lightweight but he was forced to move up to get a title shot, in terms of achievements at WW I'd have Napoles above Hearns by quite a bit, Napoles is a top 5 WW imo, beat the better opponents and had quite a reign there. What did Tommy do at WW to be rated above him ?.
I don'r know much about his LW career,,.. I don't think I've seen him at that weight,.. he was a superbly built fighter.