Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 08-28-2011, 12:54 AM
mr.thraz
BOXING PURIST

Rep Power: 10 mr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 134,485,692.38
Total Points: 134,488,258.29
Send a message via ICQ to mr.thraz Send a message via AIM to mr.thraz Send a message via MSN to mr.thraz Send a message via Yahoo to mr.thraz

yeah but your weight has to go to the back foot with the hook. if your weight is already there then your throwing an arm punch.

Trinidad kept all his weight on his front foot so his balance sucked (as evidenced by all the flash knockdowns he had in his career) but when he hooked all his weight went with it. (which is why most of the guys who knocked him down got knocked out a round later.)
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-28-2011, 11:22 AM
..El Chacal..
.::Orgullo Mexicano::.

Rep Power: 21 ..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute..El Chacal.. has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 66,184,911,720.58
Total Points: 76,184,966,369.75
I bought you a box of tissues so when Cotto loses, you can wipe your eyes!!!! Hahahahaha K - HTownTexan Here is a TV to watch all the big fights!!!!! - HTownTexan And here is some junk food... We all know the big fights arent the same without some food.... - HTownTexan And come fight night.... You cant forget the beer....   So you got a TV, some food, some beer.... Have a good time watching the fight .....  Dont leave your tissue behind.... You'll need them...J/K - HTownTexan Congrats on 1000 posts - ??? 
1k...Congrats - Izrock excellant posts! - jazbo Cheers. You got good taste in pussy homey - mangler For being a great member and poster - jazluvr449 Pa Disfrutar la Victoria en Noviembre 14!Vamos Cotto Pa Guerra! Papa! - Sox8055 
Back atcha bro'!  War Cotto! - jazluvr449 Have a drink my nigguh!!! - D-Omonist Congrats on 3K, my nizzle! - mangler jr merry christmas! - shobox Merry Xmas - mangler 
happy new year - Libido Sanchez long time .... brew on me - El Mustang Feliz Navidad - El Mustang 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - mangler Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - The Scientist Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - street bully Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr449 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr449 
Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - street bully 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.thraz View Post
yeah but your weight has to go to the back foot with the hook. if your weight is already there then your throwing an arm punch.

Trinidad kept all his weight on his front foot so his balance sucked (as evidenced by all the flash knockdowns he had in his career) but when he hooked all his weight went with it. (which is why most of the guys who knocked him down got knocked out a round later.)
This^^

That's why a left hook is typically thrown after the straight right, where your weight should be primarily in your front foot, then you shift the weight to the back foot to throw the "3"..left hook
Old 08-28-2011, 03:54 PM
mr.thraz
BOXING PURIST

Rep Power: 10 mr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond reputemr.thraz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to mr.thraz Send a message via AIM to mr.thraz Send a message via MSN to mr.thraz Send a message via Yahoo to mr.thraz

yes sir!

the right and left-hook work well together (like pb&j) for this reason.

the right unbalances you to your left, lending power to your hook.

the left-hook unbalances you to your right, lending power to your right hand.

its a good rule to follow and is the place to start when your experimenting with ghost notes and feint.

Last edited by mr.thraz; 08-28-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Mohammedini
Malaakh

Rep Power: 6 Mohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 643,121,892.07
Total Points: 1,849,715,721.17
you deserve a kick for being so stupid - Freedom. you can pretend it's Cassius Clay's dick - Freedom. enjoy - Barnburner 

Ey Akhi! I used to have the same problem but I drilled the sh1t out of it and now its my favorite punch. For a while my ajb got really bad from all the left hooks I was throwing. Remember relax and do it slow until you get it. repetition is the key. Many people give up on the punch cuz it feels awkward but in a couple of /a month(for me cuz I'm a ****ing genius ^^) and your left hook will be the sh1t. Train the palm down left hook and pivot with your left foot when you throw it. Palm down is the best way to develop the torque in your hook. Also the best way to include a left hook in a combo is a straight right hand. So train the 2-3 combo a lot when you shadow box. Look up videos on youtube. Relax your shoulders when you throw it . If you are stiff you throw funny looking lefthooks. Look at joe fraizer how relaxed he was in his shoulders.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:29 PM
setza
Contender

Bank: 3,194.52
Total Points: 35,173.92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChowAce View Post
You said it yourself, your stance is really back foot heavy. You have to shift your weight to the front foot more when you throw your left hooks. The left hook is also the most unnatural punch to throw, could be another reason why you feel like your left hook is bad.
How is the most unnatural punch to throw ? it should come fluidly if your practising your combos, for example: throwing a 1 - 2 followed by a left hook then a right upercut or what ever.. it depends also if your trainer is making you throw a lot of left hooks when your doing pads, just practise alot on shadow boxing and just make sure your imaganing that your hitting someone with that left while shadow boxing and after time it will come naturally as they come.. like me my trainer never tought me to throw a right hook properly so when i get in their with another trainer asking me to throw a right hook it feels so weird even though its my strongest hand but i guess thats where the practising comes into play
Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Mohammedini
Malaakh

Rep Power: 6 Mohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond reputeMohammedini has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 643,121,892.07
Total Points: 1,849,715,721.17
you deserve a kick for being so stupid - Freedom. you can pretend it's Cassius Clay's dick - Freedom. enjoy - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by setza View Post
How is the most unnatural punch to throw ? it should come fluidly if your practising your combos, for example: throwing a 1 - 2 followed by a left hook then a right upercut or what ever.. it depends also if your trainer is making you throw a lot of left hooks when your doing pads, just practise alot on shadow boxing and just make sure your imaganing that your hitting someone with that left while shadow boxing and after time it will come naturally as they come.. like me my trainer never tought me to throw a right hook properly so when i get in their with another trainer asking me to throw a right hook it feels so weird even though its my strongest hand but i guess thats where the practising comes into play
Never end a combination with a uppercut.
That is how Thomas Hearns lost the first fight with SRL
Old 08-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Rockin'
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 31,588,368,032,279.08
Total Points: 31,588,368,077,051.83
have a drink bud - peyk-peyk another one bud - peyk-peyk tnx 4 the green champ - BoZz Have a beer on me... - BulgariasFinest I have great respect for you as a poster - rorymac 
Much appreciated my friend - BulgariasFinest thanks champ, respect :) - calmdown you were a good opponent or whatever, now its over between you and me as rivals or fake rivals, whatever it was, lol, no more problems from me to you in my part - Tha_Greatest 10k. Keep postin'. - BattlingNelson Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 
10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery 
for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz One of the great posters - jas 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChowAce View Post
You have to shift your weight to the front foot more when you throw your left hooks.
not completely true.

When I would roll in with the 1-2-hook my weight would come forward on the right hand and then I'd shift my weight to the back foot while pulling a hook. It generates some great power..........Rockin'
Old 08-30-2011, 10:07 PM
setza
Contender

Bank: 3,194.52
Total Points: 35,173.92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammedini View Post
Never end a combination with a uppercut.
That is how Thomas Hearns lost the first fight with SRL
it depends on the persons ability and distance really, plus I was just giving him examples of combos to fluidly practice on the left hook just giving him extra ideas on how to go on from there.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:53 PM
mr.thraz
BOXING PURIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' View Post
not completely true.

When I would roll in with the 1-2-hook my weight would come forward on the right hand and then I'd shift my weight to the back foot while pulling a hook. It generates some great power..........Rockin'

would you show some video?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Doctor_Tenma
Monster

Rep Power: 75 Doctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond reputeDoctor_Tenma has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 90,593,847,837,192.14
Total Points: 90,623,980,344,970.92
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Dominicano Soy! Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Toney Loc 

This is my main issue too, from the southpaw stance I can throw a quick lead right hand, but I'm actually a conventional fighter, I'm right handed, and no matter how many times I practice, I can't throw a lead left hook. That's why I sometimes go southpaw, to try to replicate what I'm doing in that stance that I'm not orthodox. I can double up on my left hook if my opponent stands still for me, or if I have him cornered but as soon as he decides to move, my arsenal of punches shortens....