Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Null
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 Null has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond reputeNull has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,027,007,598.70
good ownage of floydiots. - I'm so sorry merry christmas - the collector 
Default Boxing & Guitar/Piano Hands

I don't think that either boxing or guitar playing compliment each other. I do exercises for my guitar and piano playing to make my hands limber and quick and then in boxing I beat the s*** out of them on the heavy bag and uppercut bags. I feel the punishment when I box because my hands feel tight and stiff after I am done.

I should mention that I use the Everlast Gel Wraps which are like a glove you put on instead of the regular hand wraps. This might be the culprit since the wraps are very tight fitting. I also use 16 oz. Cleto Reyes gloves but I will go up in glove size in order to protect my hands.

Does anybody have similar experiences? Any good advice is welcome.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,079,022.51
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Funny this, but I've played piano, Keyboard and drums even longer than I've done boxing (15-20 years).......and took up the guitar two years ago! Some of my best friends are keen musicians who are also martial artists and have to undertake the rigours of chi sow without any real impairment.

I can't say that even the most savage heavy bag work out has ever impaired my ability to play my instruments. I might just be lucky, but make sure you always warm up, stretch and cool down whatever you do. You might just find that your body adapts to both disciplines over time regardless.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:45 AM
qcd
Amateur

Total Points: 10,000,312.93

it is really funny thing.play piano, cheap software buy cheap software Keyboard smart your mind.play box need a smart mind

Last edited by qcd; 07-01-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:23 AM
DIB42
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 DIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond reputeDIB42 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,054,306,924.53
Total Points: 24,104,395,060.49

They're fine together unless you jam a knuckle or get carpal tunnel.

Enjoy, just don't wear your strap too low on the guitar, that f*cked my sh*t up. Now my hands/arms go numb periodically when i pick stuff up.

Typing on the keyboard (data entry and sh*t) is also terrible.

but other than that, you don't need to have delicate model hands to play guitar or piano, just don't let them get too swollen, and always wrap them for your boxing workout.