Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Thread Navigation

Old 03-11-2011, 01:28 PM
abdul-jakul
Contender

Rep Power: 5 abdul-jakul has a reputation beyond reputeabdul-jakul has a reputation beyond reputeabdul-jakul has a reputation beyond reputeabdul-jakul has a reputation beyond reputeabdul-jakul has a reputation beyond reputeabdul-jakul has a reputation beyond reputeabdul-jakul has a reputation beyond reputeabdul-jakul has a reputation beyond reputeabdul-jakul has a reputation beyond reputeabdul-jakul has a reputation beyond reputeabdul-jakul has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 278,091.01
Default Pacquiao-Mayweather next for King-Arum?

LAS VEGAS -- On Sept. 15, 1978, after Muhammad Ali had defeated Leon Spinks at the New Orleans Superdome, Don King clambered into the ring to embrace the man who had just won the heavyweight championship for a record third time.

There was only one problem: King hadn't promoted that fight. He hadn't, in fact, had anything to do with it. But the cameras recorded King in the ring, and the world assumed that Captain Only in America was behind the record-breaking event.

The actual promoter, Bob Arum, saw what had happened and seethed. So when, nine years later, King tried the same trick at another Arum spectacle, Sugar Ray Leonard's shocking victory over Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Arum pounced. He grabbed King's jacket as his rival bounded up the stairs into the ring, heaving him back to the floor -- ripping one of the jacket's pockets in the process -- until security guards intervened.

King, in turn, has gone to elaborate lengths of his own to keep Arum out of the spotlight. In 1974, during the buildup to the "Rumble in the Jungle" between Ali and George Foreman, he even persuaded Zairian president Mobutu Sese Seko to ban Arum from entering the country.

For a good portion of the past 40 years, the rivalry between Arum and King has been the dominant one in professional boxing. But time has a way of healing all wounds; to judge from the kind words and compliments they have been throwing in each other's direction during the buildup to Saturday's Showtime pay-per-view clash between Miguel Cotto (promoted by Arum) and Ricardo Mayorga (a member of King's stable), one could be forgiven for thinking they had always been friends.

"When you reach a certain age, you've got to be an idiot to continue the fights you had when you were much younger," said Arum by way of explanation to a room of reporters Thursday evening.

Had there not been times, though, when each man had gotten under the other's skin to such an extent that it drove them to despair?

"Our whole lives!" exclaimed Arum as King chortled next to him. "Our whole lives! Are you crazy?"

Perhaps at no point, Arum reflected, had that been more so than in the immediate aftermath of the controversial 1999 win by King's fighter Felix Trinidad over Oscar De La Hoya, then the jewel in Arum's promotional crown.

"King of course is at the post-fight press conference yelling and gloating," he recalled. "'The lights are out in the Arum building.' I had one of our people pull the plug [on King's microphone]. And even Don King, with the way he talks, the crowd was so noisy and full of people, they couldn't hear a word he said. Don gets angry, slams down the microphone, and went out and held his own press conference."

"Yes, but you've got to understand," King retorted, "He violated everything he swore [as a lawyer] to uphold: Freedom of speech, no censorship, protection of the First Amendment."

"The First Amendment," Arum interrupted, "guarantees freedom of speech -- except when some promoter is acting obnoxious."

Whereas once the barbs would have been tipped with venom, they are delivered now only in good humor. The casting aside of personal enmity allows for acknowledgment of professional respect.

"Don showed by example what it means to be a promoter," Arum said. "One of the greatest promotions he ever did, he had a fight in New York that was dying. It was Roy Jones-Felix Trinidad. Madison Square Garden gave him a huge sum of money. But it was dying. Most of the other so-called promoters would have said 'Too bad,' and pocketed the money. Don, at his age, put on a Santa Claus suit like he was collecting money for charity. For two weeks he went around New York in a Santa Claus suit and the television cameras were following him, and he sold the fight."

They had worked with each other on more than one occasion before -- when Ali defeated Frazier in Manila, when Duran beat Leonard in Montreal, most recently when Mayweather bested Judah in Las Vegas. Could they envisage working together again? Specifically, could this promotional team of rivals find success where so far there has been only disappointment, and make the bout between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao for which the sport has been clamoring?

Optimism focuses on the fact that King and Mayweather have spoken before, and, King reveals, will be doing so again the next day.

"Floyd is the best fighter in the world. But Floyd needs advice. He is not getting the proper kind of advice and coaching," King asserted. "Common sense has to be the prevailing act. I'm going to be talking to Floyd probably tomorrow. I want him to be sitting at ringside with me."

"I firmly wish it would happen," Arum insisted. "If Don and I were promoting that fight, it would be something that would be remembered 100 years from now. We would make this entire planet stop. All the wars and all the conflicts in the world -- there would at least be a truce."

At that, the two 79-year-olds nodded sagely, as if already plotting the event in their minds, relishing the prospect that their greatest prize may yet lie ahead of them, so close and yet so tantalizingly out of reach.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-11-2011, 01:29 PM
ИATAS
Legend

Rep Power: 162 ИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond reputeИATAS has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,951,779,829,792,689.50
Total Points: 4,879,734,449,076,692.00
Have a virtual beer on me. - FRKO Good Poster! - J. HITTER Thanks for the help dude. - S a m u r a i For the brilliant post in lady's atheist 2 thread. - ABOSWORTH Bhop gif. I will send you gift number 2 when you actually finish it. :) - Precision 
Cocktail hour - mangler hey, you richly deserved the shiet right here, right now - cleaner147 to complete ur mothafukkin collection - cleaner147 War Hopkins!!!...Anyways Here Is A Gift My Man - BritishBoxing92 War Natas!!! - Old Coward 
Tye Tye Tye - DorianWozniacki one of my favourite posters - Blah! BURRRRRRRRR! - led's baby mama happy bday homey - MANGLER Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks 
great game thanks for payment :beerchug: - jose830 Great thread - Boxing Goat -Rapernick- :lol1: - -jose- It's Easter time, here's an Easter Egg for making classic threads - jas Great poster - jas 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Childhood Cancer - jazluvr Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - street bully Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr 
Autism - Lorily Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - MANGLER Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jas Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - jas Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - jas Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - jas 

i hate these types of articles cuz they mean nothing. Pac has mosley next and Floyd has the law next, so until those are defeated speculation is pointless.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:30 PM
effect
Amateur

Rep Power: 0 effect has a reputation beyond reputeeffect has a reputation beyond reputeeffect has a reputation beyond reputeeffect has a reputation beyond reputeeffect has a reputation beyond reputeeffect has a reputation beyond reputeeffect has a reputation beyond reputeeffect has a reputation beyond reputeeffect has a reputation beyond reputeeffect has a reputation beyond reputeeffect has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,155.39

They are going to make it happen this time...
Old 03-11-2011, 01:32 PM
LarryXXX
FOCUSED

Rep Power: 227 LarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond reputeLarryXXX has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,633,851,540,110,033,289,216.00
Total Points: 1,633,851,540,110,483,128,320.00
Funny - Scott Weiland cheers birthday boy - -MAKAVELLI- Happy Birthday - Scott9945 happy bday - pacfan - sugarsmosley Happy birthday - DonMega 
Happy birthday - betmen Happy Birthday - -Kev- Happy Birthday man.  God bless you - Rip Chudd Happy birthday, you my guy - Sugar Adam Ali Have a blessed Birthday.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Happy Birthday Larry! Wish you all the best. - BulgariasFinest happy birthday bro - -jose- No Message - Heavy Champ No Message - Heavy Champ No Message - Heavy Champ 
Great when nut hugging - Southpaw110 Great when not nut hugging - Southpaw110 Distinguished Service Medal. B-Hop Battalion - jas Happy thanksgiving. - HughJass A* poster - Scott-Weiland 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - project xxx1 Childhood Cancer - project xxx1 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - project xxx1 Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - New England Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jjbj2 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom. Gay and Lesbian Pride - Freedom. Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - sugarsmosley 
Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - TBear Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - TBear Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - jas 

these 2 have a loooong history..lol
Old 03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
KING MEAT
Dorian's Protege

Rep Power: 66 KING MEAT has a reputation beyond reputeKING MEAT has a reputation beyond reputeKING MEAT has a reputation beyond reputeKING MEAT has a reputation beyond reputeKING MEAT has a reputation beyond reputeKING MEAT has a reputation beyond reputeKING MEAT has a reputation beyond reputeKING MEAT has a reputation beyond reputeKING MEAT has a reputation beyond reputeKING MEAT has a reputation beyond reputeKING MEAT has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,969,748,000,659,111.00
Total Points: 4,975,290,271,631,036.00
No Message - tennishero Have one on me pre - led Keep your used vibrator to yourself :puke: - Bossy blue parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier Thanks pre! - led 
Stay in Shape! - D.I.E.S.E.L Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks Happy holidays bro! - led* have a Happy and safe New Years bro! - jose830 slickest pinoybro on boxingscene - thuggery 
#FREE KING MEAT #JUSTICEFORMEAT - thuggery I am replacing your 3k ring hon. - led* damn meat they were good , i couldn't green you again so here have a drink on me bro!! - HUGH JASS FREE KING MEAT - thuggery Cheers! - Enayze 
for you my aesthetic midget - Alx. Cool vato - CatchweightKing For your awesome Tyson/Holyfield gif - Sugar Booger Because you have good goddamn taste.(outside of boxing :P) - DannYankee09 Cheers, we'll play again - valero 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - peyk-peyk AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian.. Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - MANIAC310 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ROSS CALIFORNIA Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - ROSS CALIFORNIA 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ROSS CALIFORNIA Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - ROSS CALIFORNIA AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ROSS CALIFORNIA Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - ROSS CALIFORNIA AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ROSS CALIFORNIA 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jose830 AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Dorian AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Dorian 

.............*yawn*
Old 03-11-2011, 01:35 PM
V.WEBB
CBVM

Rep Power: 39 V.WEBB has a reputation beyond reputeV.WEBB has a reputation beyond reputeV.WEBB has a reputation beyond reputeV.WEBB has a reputation beyond reputeV.WEBB has a reputation beyond reputeV.WEBB has a reputation beyond reputeV.WEBB has a reputation beyond reputeV.WEBB has a reputation beyond reputeV.WEBB has a reputation beyond reputeV.WEBB has a reputation beyond reputeV.WEBB has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,133,751,091,628.06
Total Points: 4,139,248,601,042.15
For your Honeymoon, bless - Syf congrats homie - project xxx1 stay strong!! - Horus Poppppppp  this bottle for me - Horus No Message - Horus 
some wedding cake fo ya - DiLLiNGER wedding ring lol - DiLLiNGER No Message - DiLLiNGER For the Family Man!  To a happy and healthy life! - Lorily God Bless and Happy Holidays to you and your family! - Lorily 
Long overdue mate! - Tamis_Siensya somebody kick this racist - Band-Aid :fing02: - -jose- 
Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Toda Caine Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Horus Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - SekondzOut Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - led Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - led 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - led 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj MEAT View Post
.............*yawn*
GTR, this you?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:36 PM
JQside
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 8 JQside has a reputation beyond reputeJQside has a reputation beyond reputeJQside has a reputation beyond reputeJQside has a reputation beyond reputeJQside has a reputation beyond reputeJQside has a reputation beyond reputeJQside has a reputation beyond reputeJQside has a reputation beyond reputeJQside has a reputation beyond reputeJQside has a reputation beyond reputeJQside has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 24,661.48

What can't people get? This is not about Arum, King or any lowly promoter. This is about Floyd. Without Floyd's go signal even God as promoter can't make this fight happen. This is simple grade school logic. I don't understand what is so complicated about this.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi-Dro
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Hi-Dro has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Dro has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Dro has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Dro has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Dro has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Dro has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Dro has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Dro has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Dro has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Dro has a reputation beyond reputeHi-Dro has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 905,003.55
Total Points: 1,320,948,657.42
E-Gift - ??? t - Wangler Jr burner is dumb - Red October lifestyle WANG - ADDICT No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Round 1 BURRRR 2 THA HURRRRB! - Bloody$Nate$ mah nikka up in hurrrrr x - I ♥ RVP no bottles :( so this is for my nikka up in hurrr :D - I ♥ RVP it's a leaf and it's green. Use your imagination. :) - I ♥ RVP 
award for prettiest poster. &lt;3 - I ♥ RVP Have an apple :D - I ♥ RVP because  I can! - I ♥ RVP Happy Thursday! - I ♥ RVP hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! - I ♥ RVP 
hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! it's over thurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! - *Boss Lady* For your dro - led For being the ugliest poster up in hurrrr - Cleto_Reyes 13k post medal! - Flab Happy Easter Dro, I hope all is well with you :kiss: - Bossy 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MARKBNLV Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ??? World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Red October Childhood Cancer - Grand Champ Gay and Lesbian Pride - $iCaRiO 

blah blah blah blah

that's all i read
Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 PM
ThePrince
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 18 ThePrince has a reputation beyond reputeThePrince has a reputation beyond reputeThePrince has a reputation beyond reputeThePrince has a reputation beyond reputeThePrince has a reputation beyond reputeThePrince has a reputation beyond reputeThePrince has a reputation beyond reputeThePrince has a reputation beyond reputeThePrince has a reputation beyond reputeThePrince has a reputation beyond reputeThePrince has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 740,691,587,108.48
Total Points: 741,519,428,478.22
you're a good poster...have a beer - -pound4pound- who drinks just one beer? have another 1 - -pound4pound- No Message - Come∂ian No Message - Come∂ian No Message - jrosales13 
Ran out of green :/ cheers buddy - Beercules 

Whether you think Pac-Floyd will ever happen (it won't), this was still a good read. I burst out laughing when I read the part about Arum yanking King to the ground, ripping his jacket and security having to intervene

These guys go WAY back and their rivalry helped shape Boxing for decades and brought the world some of the most memorable and legendary fights. Just read that again and go through some of the matches they put together. Amazing.