No announcement yet.

Woods' in another eliminator

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woods' in another eliminator

By Clive Bernath: Clinton Woods gets what is probably his last chance to resurrect his career on October 24 when he faces Australian Jason Delisle in an IBF eliminator at the Octagon Centre in Sheffield on October 24.
    Woods, 35-3-1, has fought unsuccessfully for the world title on three previous occasions, against Roy Jones Jr and Glengoffe Johnson . Johnson out-pointed Woods for the vacant IBF light-heavyweight crown back in February following a controversial draw.
    Johnson defends his title for the first time against Jones Jr at the Fed Ex Forum in Memphis, Tennessee on September 25, and Woods' promoter Dennis Hobson is hoping if Jones wins he may vacate for a bigger fight rather than defend against mandatory No.1 contender Rico Hoye.
    "If Clinton beats Delisle then he will become the IBF No.2 ," said Hobson. " If Jones does beat Johnson he may not want to fight a big puncher like Hoye. So if Jones does win and vacate and Clinton beats Delisle then we may be able to make a fight for the vacant title. So you can see where I'm coming from, can't you?
    First though Woods must get past the 32 year-old Aussie, from Sydnet, who boasts a 15-2-2-(8). Delisle has been a professional for just four years and fought outside of his native New South Wales just in 19 starts.

Wood's has got some management team, that'll be his third title eliminator within about 18 months, and if it comes about, his 4th chance for a 'proper' world title, i haven't seen this Hoye yet so i can't really say how that would go but Woods is a lucky man.

shessh woods is a lucky chap. I like him a good honest pro with a decent chin but to be honest he is one of those fighters who is too good for Euro level and not quite good enough for World.

Bit like Billy Schwer or Bruno if we are honest was. Good luck to him though he needs to make it this time.

Comment

Damn they are giving this guy title shot after title shot...the light heavyweight isn't very deep division is it?

Comment

Good comparison, he's a northern Billy Schwer and he's had about as many chances as Bruno, I agree with you though he's the stereotype of the decent hard working guy who you want to see do well, he'll never have an easy fight so all the best to the guy.

Comment

Yeah in fairness to get RJJ and draw (well lose come on that was a robbery) and then lose to glencoffe is no disgrace but he isnt quite good enough in my opinion. If he does win he will get dethroned soone enough.

be nice to see him get his moment of glory though.

Comment

If Woods does happen to win some sort of title then i think he'd be making his first defence against Calzaghe, they talked about this fight when Joe was moving up but that got scuppered when he got 'injured'( i wish i could get 'injured' like him )If only Calzaghe had Woods' management team behind him, maybe his career would have taken off by now, doesn't look as if it ever will, Kabray Salem? waste of time.

Comment

yeah agree mate, barry do you post on boxing central at all?
              if so think we have chatted b4 mate.

woods would have the sensible fight for JC. But as we know JC aint very sensible (see calzaghe thread for my thoughts there)

Comment

Yeah man i thought i knew you, i pm'd you the other day but it must have gone when they changed the site over, i could sort of tell by the things you were saying, good to have you here mate, are you doing a report on the Eastman fight by any chance? i was supposed to be going(competition win) but i've heard nothing about the tickets so i assume that's that

Comment

oh right nice one mate nice to chat to you too must admit I should trek over to Boxing C and catch up with alex and the like!!!! Yeah tis I "J" I logged on here a while back though so cant post under J / Jules weird but anyway.

but anyway yeah nice one mate, wont be covering Eastman as I live in London, BBn has fellas that cover that area, im at the york hall covering Chas Symonds fight on Friday.

I know which one Id rather go to though, hague / froch is interesting too though I expect Carl to have too much savvy for Damon.

Tobe honest I havent done as much lately as I should. Been promised interviews with Haye and Roman greenburg so been waiting on those, also got Jim watts number so may call him for a view on the lightweight scene.

Once the cricket it over and the weather deteriorates Ill be back on the horse tough banging out a couple of articles a week.

Ive got tickets for the one day final at the oval next week (prayin England beat Oz today its going good so far)

been a busy summer, juggling cricket, boxing, work, girlfriend / family, arent enough hours in the day!!!!

which comp? you should chase em by the way, sites etc shouldnt offer prizes if they cant deliver em.

Comment

You are a busy man I think the anticipation for ths Friday has been taken away by Dodson pulling out, the Eastman fight doesn't look anything special and Froch should deal with Hague without too many problems, though it could be exciting because of Hague's style but it was a big disppointment when Dodson pulled out again i don't think he's bricking it i just think the guys got shocking luck, i met Jim Watt once, a sound guy, doesn't seem the type of guy to be headbutting in the ring but just goes to show you

Comment

Working...
                    X