No announcement yet.

Why is Floyd not mentioned when anyone talks about "out of prime boxers"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Floyd not mentioned when anyone talks about "out of prime boxers"

His prime days are over, he was the best at 130 and very strong at 135/140.
    He is 35 four years older than Cotto and everyone talks about how Cotto is
    out of his prime, but everyone thinks Mayweather is still in his prime and
    unstoppable.

When De La Hoya fought Mayweather, everyone said how DLH was over the hill (DLH was 34-35 at that time) and Mayweather was 30 at that time (Same age as Cotto). Makes no sense.*

what's your opinion?

Because they don't like him.

Comment

Floyd been on vacation and is more fresher and has never really taken a beating whereas Cotto has been in wars with Margarito first fight and the Duckiao fight where he got banged.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
        Because they don't like him.
        Exactly.

Floyd's been out of prime since he fought at 140.

Comment

I think it goes without saying for the most part, just like Pacquiao. Their past prime abilities are still so good that it doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
            His prime days are over, he was the best at 130 and very strong at 135/140.
            He is 35 four years older than Cotto and everyone talks about how Cotto is
            out of his prime, but everyone thinks Mayweather is still in his prime and
            unstoppable.

When De La Hoya fought Mayweather, everyone said how DLH was over the hill (DLH was 34-35 at that time) and Mayweather was 30 at that time (Same age as Cotto). Makes no sense.*

what's your opinion?
            Age does not necessarily coincide with prime...yeah his physical skills have probably slowed a touch...but what he's gained in experience is much more valuable and I think that's why some consider him in his prime.

Guys age overnight and fans overreact. If Cotto wins, you will hear people talking about Floyd being past it.

De La Hoya was past it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWbbmest311 View Post
              Age does not necessarily coincide with prime...yeah his physical skills have probably slowed a touch...but what he's gained in experience is much more valuable and I think that's why some consider him in his prime.

Guys age overnight and fans overreact. If Cotto wins, you will hear people talking about Floyd being past it.

De La Hoya was past it.
              No not really, look at Jones Jr vs Tarver II.

Comment

PBF is past his prime but his fights are won by such a wide margin there is no need to mention him being past his prime. Until a fighter starts to show a big drop off in ability with the things they used to do very well the talk of not being prime will not happen.

Comment

I consider Floyd's prime to be 2000/2001-2007. From 2009-present day, he's been ast his prime-still good.

He's sort of like where Ray Leonard was in 87' or where Ali was in 72'-73'. He's past his prime, but he still has a couple years left of good fighting I think.

A big reason why he's not mentioned is because he's whupping good people at 34-35 years old today. What are his closest fights???

Castillo I: His closest, he arguably lost.
                  Castillo II: He won a clear UD, scores were closer than it should have been I thought. He won 8-4 in rounds to me.
                  Judah: He won a wide UD.
                  De La Hoya: He won a SD, but NO ONE thought that was really a SD. He won 8-3-1/9-3 to me and most everyone. Should have been a clear UD.

What else was close??? Since he returned from his layoff, he basically shut JMM out at a weight JMM just arguably beat Pac at. He beat Mosley 118-110/119-109. He was beating Ortiz 4-0/3-1 with relative ease. It's because he still looks dominant at his age.
                  Last edited by 4Corners; 03-26-2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Because what you have left isnt simply determinedd by your age. Its determined by what you actually have left

This is why erik Morales was considered shot at 28

Comment

Working...
                    X