No announcement yet.

Demain Maia vs. Nate Marquardt set for UFC 102 in Portland on Aug. 29

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StillUnknown View Post
    Wand's style is reckless, it works for him because he has that mentality on the feet. i don't think you can really teach that brand of aggressiveness. Maia would be wise to get more technical in his strikes, not aggressive. i'm sure Wand is teaching him the technical aspects of striking, even if he doesn't employ them himself in fights

he needs to focus on striking to setup takedowns to get it to the ground. Wand ate a ton of shots in his career, he just has some tremendous recuperative powers, its a long shot to think Maia will possess that same trait.
    Maia wont imitate Silva imo. Wand knows how to strike but lets his emotion make him reckless in fights. Maia is smarter and with the strikes he learns from Wanderlei he can use his own intelligence to make it work for him. If you look at the Sonnen fight, his striking looks effective but he doesnt make it a shootout, he did exactly as you sed and used it to close the distance to initiate grappling. He caught Sonnen, a high caliber wrestler, with a sick judo toss and transitioned right into a triangle.

I'm not saying its a lock that he will beat Nate but i think its highly possible. although an impressive win, Gouvia was gassed by round 3 making the KO easier.

Regardless of who wins i think its a great fight in the making and can wait for the event

Comment

i'm taking maia in a good competitive fight, this is a big step up for demian but i think he can pull out a submission late.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
        I dont know how Maia will fair. Marquardt has been over-aggressive lately. His last fight wow. And before that he was DQed. He has a fire under his ass.
        DQed....news to me

i think maia is gonna grab that rear naked choke early in rd2

Comment

I gotta go with Maia on this one. He is undefeated not because he is lucky, but because he has incredible skill. I say Maia by submission (choke)

Comment

yeah I'd like to see Maia win also.

plus Marquardt already had his shot vs Silva.

Comment

Working...
            X