Bill Clinton on McCain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Clinton on McCain

From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney
    Clinton had kinds words for John McCain Thursday.
    Clinton had kinds words for John McCain Thursday.

(CNN) – Bill Clinton has long pointed out he has enjoyed a good relationship with John McCain, but for a moment the former president almost sounded like a surrogate for the Republican presidential nominee Thursday morning.

Appearing on ABC's Good Morning America, Clinton said McCain's move to suspend his campaign and request a delay in the first presidential debate was a move done in "good faith," rather than as a stunt to halt falling poll numbers as several Democrats have alleged.

"I presume he did that in good faith since I know he wanted — I remember he asked for more debates to go all around the country and so I don't think we ought to overly parse that," Clinton said, sounding a familiar McCain Campaign talking point.

A few hours later Clinton lavished praise on McCain as he introduced him at the Clinton Global Initiative forum, saying Republican presidential nominee had taken the lead in his party when it comes to climate change.

"When most people in his party were thinking that global warming was overstated and maybe even a myth — he decided to look into it," he said.

The former president also described the two trips that McCain took with his wife Hillary Clinton, “the junior senator from New York," to look into the issue.

But Clinton has also been effusive in his praise for Obama in recent days, telling CBS earlier this week the Illinois senator is better-suited than McCain to bring the country out of the economic crisis.

Clinton's praise of McCain also came days after he told CNN's Larry King Live he was looking forward to campaigning on behalf of Barack Obama, but was not planning on "dumping" on McCain.

The Clintons are NOT friends of Obama...

Payback can be a ***** when you're a celebrity

Comment

Originally posted by neils7147933 View Post
      The Clintons are NOT friends of Obama...

Payback can be a ***** when you're a celebrity

....Is it just sour grapes or does Bill want people to know how he really feels about Obama? I think it's a little of both.

Comment

Originally posted by PBDS View Post
        ....Is it just sour grapes or does Bill want people to know how he really feels about Obama? I think it's a little of both.
        I do too, in fact...

Comment

I didn't always agree with Bill, but it's hard to hate the guy. It's really too bad his wife is not as intelligent and far more liberal. It's funny to see him praise McCain and Palin, but when asked if Obama is qualified to be President, "I'm not sure if you can ever really be qualified."

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
            I didn't always agree with Bill, but it's hard to hate the guy. It's really too bad his wife is not as intelligent and far more liberal. It's funny to see him praise McCain and Palin, but when asked if Obama is qualified to be President, "I'm not sure if you can ever really be qualified."
            I heard him say this week that applies to anyone who hasn't done the job previously.

Comment

I'd still be pretty damn pissed if my wife didn't win a close Democratic nomination also. Wouldn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                I heard him say this week that applies to anyone who hasn't done the job previously.
                Of course. The point being he could've just said yes, and not given some vague BS answer, if he really believed that he was. Just like that whole "candidate x and candidate y" stuff, you don't honestly think he was referring to Obama and McCain?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                  Of course. The point being he could've just said yes, and not given some vague BS answer, if he really believed that he was. Just like that whole "candidate x and candidate y" stuff, you don't honestly think he was referring to Obama and McCain?

Well yes, at least more so than he would have referred to Al Gore in 2000. Bill is hitting the campaign circuit next week. I'm sure his feelings will be sorted out thoroughly by the media.

Comment

Working...
                  X