• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
    I agree, it ends up a draw
    lmfao it's a possibilty.

Comment

Do people really think Chavez gets knocked out? A prime, lightweight Chavez? Knocked out or stopped? Come on people....go back and watch him fight again. He was a genuine great...a genuine ATG. No one is stopping him at lightweight, not Duran, not Gans, not Leonard. No one. He gives anyone in history a fight at lightweight.

We're not talking of the past it, slow version that Whitaker made look like a fool at 147 and who lost and got dropped a couple of fights later. We're talking the prime version at 135. It's like the difference between Duran at 135 and 154. Not the same guy.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        Do people really think Chavez gets knocked out? A prime, lightweight Chavez? Knocked out or stopped?
        I think that Duran would probably win 9 out of 10 fights btwn them (if not 10 out of 10) and I think that Chavez would hear the final bell. But it's not crazy to think that Duran would KO Chavez. I think that Chavez would realize his only chance was a brawl and open up - especially if he got hurt. If that happens, opens up and starts taking a lot of leather Chavez would go down. (And, in case it matters, I was a big Chavez fan).

Duran had real KO power from the first round to the 15th. I don't know what his KO percentage was as a lightweight champion but it was pretty high.

I just went to boxrec and did a quick look at all his lightweight fights from Ken Buchanan on: Roberto Duran was 34-1 with 28 KOs.
        Last edited by bklynboy; 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

If Meldrick Taylor had had more punching power than your typical 12 year old girl Chavez very likely would have been stopped in their first fight. Chavez shipped a LOT of leather in that fight as he did in most of his fights against top opponents. The difference here being Duran at Lightweight is a hell of lot better than any of Chavez top opponents. Chavez's chin may well keep him from hearing 10 counted over him but it won't keep him from taking a terrible beating and having his plug pulled for his own good.

Poet

Comment

LOL at you people down playing Chavez who has one of boxing's all time great resumes. His top 6 wins(Martinez Rosario Taylor Camacho Randall and Ramirez all of them in there absolute prime) are better then any fighter of the last 50 years not named Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
              LOL at you people down playing Chavez who has one of boxing's all time great resumes. His top 6 wins(Martinez Rosario Taylor Camacho Randall and Ramirez all of them in there absolute prime) are better then any fighter of the last 50 years not named Ali.

Im sorry, Ray Leonard anyone?

And neither Ramirez, Randall or Camacho were at their best and peak fighters anymore. Not trying to bash Chavez, who was great, but lets not blow him up and exaggerate either.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Im sorry, Ray Leonard anyone?

And neither Ramirez, Randall or Camacho were at their best and peak fighters anymore. Not trying to bash Chavez, who was great, but lets not blow him up and exaggerate either.

You beat me to that. I have no problem saying Duran's resume is better than Chavez because it is.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                  I don't think anyone is down playing Chavez - he's an ATG. I just think that Duran was better. I think they were equal in heart and determination. Both had great chins and endurance. But Duran was better.

Comment

no possible way does Duran take out Chavez at 135lbs. Duran wasnt a destroyer at that weight...almost all his best KO wins were due to attrition. Chavez was not only one of the most durable fighters ever, but also had very good defense.

that being said, Duran would win on points that would be wide on the scorecards, but each round would be hard fought. Think Duran-Palomino, except more competitive. The infighting level would be about equal, but Duran would take the upper hand seeing as he could tag Chavez coming in and also counter a bit on the inside as well. Duran was a mauler on the inside, he didnt constantly attack you but would grab a little and simply wear you down.

It would be the best display of skilled infighting in the history of boxing.

Comment

It would indeed be exceptional on the inside, but Chavez's speed deficit there would be his undoing.

Comment

Working...
                      X