• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ali was the lighter man in some of his greatest performances:

Ali - Liston I
    Ali - Liston II
    Ali - Foreman

Ali was the heavier man in all of his losses.

But I'm not saying that Deontay shouldn't fill out and have a bigger physique. His conditioning coach, doctor and trainers will have the best idea of what his ideal boxing weight should be.

I know that today's HWs are bigger, but I'm not convinced that bigger is always better.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
      I don't know about that. These guys are big but most of them aren't well coordinated.
      Most of them, but the elite of the division (which aint saying much, god HW boxing is bad) are big men with the skills and the technique to match. The rising stars of the division are doing so on their size. It just so happens, at the moment, to dethrone the current belt holders you'll need more than just talent. You'll need a respectable size as well.

Wilder could benefit greatly from the extra mass. A man his size at 218 (where he started) just looks wrong on paper, and it has it's pros and cons in the ring as well. Speed isn't one of them at this point, it won't be effected.

Comment

Originally posted by valero View Post
        Ali was the lighter man in some of his greatest performances:

Ali - Liston I
        Ali - Liston II
        Ali - Foreman

Ali was the heavier man in all of his losses.

But I'm not saying that Deontay shouldn't fill out and have a bigger physique. His conditioning coach, doctor and trainers will have the best idea of what his ideal boxing weight should be.

I know that today's HWs are bigger, but I'm not convinced that bigger is always better.
        I like how you point out Ali vs 2 men that were known for being huge.
        Are we going to act like Foreman wasn't the same height and only 4lbs heavier too? Lol. He was damn near the same size as "the BIG george foreman". You actually proved my point, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
          His skills are out of this world, I could see that when he beat Dustin Nichols.

WTF where they fighting in someones garage? And whats up with "his only 27" ?
          That's not young, at that age he is either on his way to fight a good contender with a fake belt or he should be nearly on top of his division. From the few clips people have posted here he looks more like a personal trainer from one of those 24 hour fitness then a boxer. And lol at him trying to show off his foot work against Bubba and he still manages to fall.

Comment

Originally posted by intoccabile View Post
            Most of them, but the elite of the division (which aint saying much, god HW boxing is bad) are big men with the skills and the technique to match. The rising stars of the division are doing so on their size. It just so happens, at the moment, to dethrone the current belt holders you'll need more than just talent. You'll need a respectable size as well.
            And yet the best HW not named Klitschko is 6'2 210 lbs David Haye.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              And yet the best HW not named Klitschko is 6'2 210 lbs David Haye.
              Hayes weight is proportioned with his height pretty well. He didn't look so great with Ruiz and the Wlad fight was gross. His lack of size affects him mentally, it's an intangible flaw. So, with all the skill in the world - knowing your limitation against that strength makes him timid.

Comment

Originally posted by Berges View Post
                WTF where they fighting in someones garage? And whats up with "his only 27" ?
                That's not young, at that age he is either on his way to fight a good contender with a fake belt or he should be nearly on top of his division. From the few clips people have posted here he looks more like a personal trainer from one of those 24 hour fitness then a boxer. And lol at him trying to show off his foot work against Bubba and he still manages to fall.
                27 is the new 23 in today's hw era. Price is 30. Puluv only had 17 fights and he's 31. Wilder is a child next to them in terms of age. Today's HW'S are just more pathetic overall and step up later.

Comment

Originally posted by Jel View Post
                  27 is the new 23 in today's hw era. Price is 30. Puluv only had 17 fights and he's 31. Wilder is a child next to them in terms of age. Today's HW'S are just more pathetic overall and step up later.
                  I guess. . . I'm not gonna lie I don't really follow the HW division, not much to see anyways. Its good not to rush young boxers in with the top dogs, but common dude that's freakin ridiculous to not be ready by the time your 27. Wasn't he in the olympic's? or I might have him confused with someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Berges View Post
                    I guess. . . I'm not gonna lie I don't really follow the HW division, not much to see anyways. Its good not to rush young boxers in with the top dogs, but common dude that's freakin ridiculous to not be ready by the time your 27. Wasn't he in the olympic's? or I might have him confused with someone else.
                    Nope. You got the right person and I 100% agree with you. If he don't step it up like now, it probably mean he's either 1-with a extremely bad team or 2-they are hiding something like a glass jaw.

Either way you are right. It's pretty much now or forget it. So we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
                      His skills are out of this world, I could see that when he beat Dustin Nichols.

Wilder will have to do something amazing to make me forget this.

Comment

Working...
                      X