No announcement yet.

What Are You Expecting From Rigondeaux This Weekend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerbreadman View Post
    To clarify, I have reasons beyond my personal dislike of Rigo's style (which is irrelevant in making judgements) that I posted what I did.

1) Rigo had enough unpleasant moments against Marroquin to make him think "better a chance at Donaire if I win ugly than no chance if I get caught"

2) I honestly believe that the long, long years that Rigo has spent honing his game to perfection has left him less versatile than he should be. I'm not sure that he can bring himself to fight a different way against top-level opposition. And I know plenty of people will say "but he won't have to modify his style, Poon will come right at him"; that's true, but unless Rigo cold-****s him with a counter (which I admit is possible, but unlikely given Poon's top-level chin), then I simply don't believe Rigo has the killer instinct to finish a Poon type of fighter. A hapless Willie Casey, yes, but not the top talents at 122.
    Good points. Well stated.

I've said many times (not just about Rigo) that many of the Cuban fighters that came over in the last few years have perhaps spent too much time in the amateurs. When you're over 30, and you've spent nearly your entire life fighting a certain way, it's difficult to make significant change. A guy like Guillermo is going to win nearly all of his fights because he's just that good. But he'll rarely please those that crave a more aggressive professional style.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
      Why would i worry? he couldnt KO Robert Marroquin....and hes gonna KO Donaire! Hes only been fighting C & D class opponents in his whole 11 fight pro career hehehe.... imagine him walking through a top 5 P4P fighter. And thats what you think huh?:AYWOoD:
      Pac..you are losing your boys careers this days...Pac, farenas, Gesta in paquiao card..soo you get mad and do crazy talking...if is like the triangle theory that you just wrote Donaire who couldn't KO Vasquez jr and wan a SD will lose to old fart arce who KO Vasquez jr..lol.. Rigo is a beast man..Rigo vs Donaire will be awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Good points. Well stated.

I've said many times (not just about Rigo) that many of the Cuban fighters that came over in the last few years have perhaps spent too much time in the amateurs. When you're over 30, and you've spent nearly your entire life fighting a certain way, it's difficult to make significant change. A guy like Guillermo is going to win nearly all of his fights because he's just that good. But he'll rarely please those that crave a more aggressive professional style.
        And he still have a high KO rate..

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cuban View Post
          Pac..you are losing your boys careers this days...Pac, farenas, Gesta in paquiao card..soo you get mad and do crazy talking...if is like the triangle theory that you just wrote Donaire who couldn't KO Vasquez jr and wan a SD will lose to old fart arce who KO Vasquez jr..lol.. Rigo is a beast man..Rigo vs Donaire will be awesome!!
          I cant say he is or isnt a beast. Hes only show 11 fights with weak opposition. I can care less about his Am-career ..... what hes done in the big time is what i focus on. And he aint done nothing big. Made no big waves at all. And understandably why! Hes a newbee to the pro game and coming up. If thats the case than Im sure Dodie Boy and Rigo are on the same page too huh! Dodie got 10 wins and 10 KOs....better than Rigos record. Keep in mind im not hating on the guy. So all your comments on other fighters are mute. By the way Farenas is a tough SOB!
          Last edited by PAC-BOY; 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cuban View Post
            And he still have a high KO rate..
            Most good fighters have a high KO rate early in their pro careers. That's because they usually fight inferior opposition as they build their record. Rigo only has eleven fights, and he's a world-class talent, so of course he's going to have a high proportion of knockouts. If he gets to fight, say 30 professional bouts before he retires, you better believe his KO percentage will decline very rapidly. Guillermo definitely has serious power, but his style isn't geared towards knocking people out. He's used to outclassing people and winning on points.

Comment

I expect Rigondeaux to score a knockdown or two but not a knockout.

Comment

Just some interesting tidbits, for those who aren't familiar with Poonsawat. This fight with Rigo will mark only the second time in his career he's fought outside of Asia. The other time being a bout he fought in Germany (where Poon lost a UD). Kratingdaenggym lost a UD in Japan. So, of the three previous times Poon fought outside of Thailand, he lost twice.

Poonsawat has never been stopped and never been down.

Comment

Just some interesting tidbits, for those who aren't familiar with Poonsawat. This fight with Rigo will mark only the second time in his career he's fought outside of Asia. The other time being a bout he fought in Germany (where Poon lost a UD). Kratingdaenggym lost a UD in Japan. So, of the three previous times Poon fought outside of Thailand, he lost twice.

Yeah, Poon is a good, tough fighter. I'm looking forward to see if the challenge brings the best out of Rigo. This will definitely be an impressive win for him if he can pull it off.

Comment

I thought Poon beat Sydorenko which was in Germany and he also knocked out Dunne in Ireland....

Comment

What do I expect? A tough fight.

This is his time to shine here.

Comment

Working...
                      X