No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs Castillo 1 - Why The Decision Was Fair

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
    @OP I completely agree. Castillo lost the first half too decisively to get the win.
    i have always felt the same way.castillo lost the first 4 or 5 rounds of that fight so all floyd had to do was win 1 or 2 rounds at that point and i don't see castillo sweeping the last 7 rounds.

Comment

Definitely not a robbery, very close fight, I had it a draw last time I watched it. The time before I think I had JLC winning. Floyd was somewhat unimpressive, JLC was impressive but if you score it on an actual round-by-round basis, it is very close.

What's quite interesting is that JLC definitely had something in his style that caused Floyd problems. In the 2nd fight, Floyd pulled away towards the end but Jose definitely had success in that fight too (though admittedly I haven't see the rematch in a long time so I'm going off memory).

Just shows how underrated Castillo was.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
        Definitely not a robbery, very close fight, I had it a draw last time I watched it. The time before I think I had JLC winning. Floyd was somewhat unimpressive, JLC was impressive but if you score it on an actual round-by-round basis, it is very close.

What's quite interesting is that JLC definitely had something in his style that caused Floyd problems. In the 2nd fight, Floyd pulled away towards the end but Jose definitely had success in that fight too (though admittedly I haven't see the rematch in a long time so I'm going off memory).

Just shows how underrated Castillo was.
        This is also true.

People act like the second fight was some kind of 12-0 beatdown by Mayweather, it wasn't.

He won more convincingly of course the second time around, but, it was still a competitive fight. The mid rounds especially.

The only real difference between the first and second fights were Mayweather closed strongly or stronger.

And you're absolutely right about Castillo being underrated. He's the best Lightweight of his era, bar none. He's the only person who's ever truley come close to beating Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
          R1: 10-9 to Floyd
          R2: 10-9 to Floyd
          R3: 10-9 to Floyd
          R4: 10-9 to Floyd
          R5: 10-9 to Floyd
          R6: 9-10 Jose
          R7: 9-10 Jose
          R8: Could have gone either way, ref deduction
          R9: 9-10 Jose
          R10: 9-9, ref deduction
          R11: 9-10 Jose
          R12: 10-9 Floyd
          Wow. Great minds think alike. I'm looking at my Scorecard App on my phone right now and that's exactly how I had it.

1: FM
          2: FM
          3: FM
          4: FM
          5: FM
          6. JLC
          7. JLC
          8. 9-9
          9. JLC
          10. 9-9
          11. JLC
          12. FM

Final: 114-112 FM

Comment

I thought that Castillo did enough to win, but I'm not calling it a robbery either. I was at the rematch live and didn't think it was as close as the cards had it.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
              R1: 10-9 to Floyd
              R2: 10-9 to Floyd
              R3: 10-9 to Floyd
              R4: 10-9 to Floyd
              R5: 10-9 to Floyd
              R6: 9-10 Jose
              R7: 9-10 Jose
              R8: Could have gone either way, ref deduction
              R9: 9-10 Jose
              R10: 9-9, ref deduction
              R11: 9-10 Jose
              R12: 10-9 Floyd

The unnecessary ref deductions makes this fight tricky to score.

If round 8 goes to Jose, it would be a 9-9. Giving the round to Floyd would make it 10-8 in his favor. HBO gave the 8th to Jose and scored it 9-9.

Round 10 was a Floyd round, but there was that deduction against him. Instead of giving Floyd the round and making it 9-9, HBO scoring turned it into 10-8 for Jose even though Floyd won.

Round 11 is the most interesting round. I seen many scorecards and people often give this round to Floyd. This is a sentimental decision imo. Floyd rarely opens up like that, so when he does people get excited and carried away by the beauty. Jose got to work earlier than Floyd did and landed quite a few bodyshots.
              well I haven't watched it in a long time but I'm pretty sure I had at least the 3rd round going to castillo, floyd got the better of the first 5 rounds but i don't think he white washed them as clearly as you have it there.

Comment

Not a robbery, but I still think Castillo deserved it. Hell of a fighter.

I thought the rematch played out pretty much exactly like the first fight through 9 rounds, and then Floyd closed it strong.

Comment

Interesting observations here. Looking back, it was definiteley close but I still think Mayweather won clearly. He swept the first 4 or 5 rounds and I thought there was only a couple more rounds that I could have scored for Castillo, one of which I scored even, even if I had scored both for him, I would still have had him losing. Simply put, Floyd's punches were just better and that's what makes the difference in a close round. Castillo was the one coming forward but some of his punches were illegal and he was getting hit cleanly. I think it was a situation where, because Mayweather had never been into deep waters before, people got really excited that he got seriously pushed and tested and this made them think that Castillo did better against him than was actually the case.

As for the rematch. I don't think it was close at all. I scored it 117-111 for Mayweather. Having stated that, I could see someone having it closer depending on their personal preferences and if they listened to the commentary or not. One things is for sure though, Mayweather won very clearly.
                  Last edited by JK1700; 09-29-2012, 07:39 AM.

Comment

The fight was very close and could have went either way. If Castillo won I would have been fine with it. I had Mayweather up 6-5-1. I hate scoring even rounds, but the round Mayweather got a point deducted, I had him winning.

Comment

Castillo won it, i watched it more than 10 x, floyd was EXTREMELY lucky to get the nod in that fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X