Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Negotiation Process Makes Fights': Donaire Explains Rigondeaux, Fight Business

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love to see Donaire fight Rigo, but lets all be honest, who outside of us diehards have even heard of Ridondeaux, let alone know how to pronounce his name? Big risk with very little reward.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
      HBO is showing Rigo on undercards, they would definitely take him rather than last 3 fighters that Nonito fought, even if them prefering Arce and Mares may be true
      HBO has no control over PPV undercards since they don't pay for it. He stunk up his Pac underfight fight on HBO and stunk up his title fight on ESPN. Why would HBO have any interest in Rigo, especially with the obvious style clash? While he did much better against Kennedy recently and redeemed himself to a degree, that was after Mathebula was signed.

And I find it ridiculous to talk about someone wanting too much money when he didn't even get to any negotiating.
      How do you know that? Do you work for Top Rank? Bob Arum is both their promoters so obviously there has to have been some back and forth by now. If HBO really wanted Rigo, they could have simply forced Donaire to take Rigo over Vasquez and Mathebula. I also remember Nonito mentioned there was some negotiations with Rigo a while back and there was some money issues. Has rigo denied it?
      Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 07-13-2012, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Just look how many comments was there under some threads about Rigo and Donaire. Rigondeaux works on imagination already. He's not bigger name than Arce and Mares, but people do know him, they want to see that happening.
        We know him. We follow boxing every single day. The casual fan has no idea who he is, what he looks like, or how to pronounce his name. Donaire himself isnt even a mainstream fighter that the casuals are familiar with as of yet. I would love to see the fight as a huge boxing fan but it makes zero business sense for Donaire who is on his way to becoming a star in the sport. Let Rigo get some exciting high profile fights under his belt then maybe it can go down.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
          "I don't care. Whoever's name is in that contract, that's who I'm fighting. I'll say 'this and this and that', I'll say 'hey I want to fight Mares', 'hey I want to fight Nishioka', they're going to take it in consideration, but they got to talk to the guys, and the guys that represent them, the networks and all that stuff.
          Another Top-Rank hoe...

Comment

Donaire took on Darchinian in his 17th pro fight. It took Chavez Jr about 45 fights before he fought someone with a pulse. It took Canelo 40 fights before he stepped in the ring with a shot to pieces SSM.

Comment

Donaire fight against Rigo would be second biggest fight of Nonitos career only behind Montiel. The fact that it's not big enough only shows how risky he feels Rigondeaux is. You're basically saying that it's ok to duck someone if he's not giving you best career payday. I don't buy it, it's shameful.

This is exactly what Floyd Mayweather does. No?

I'm not saying its ok to do, and yes it would be his 2nd biggest fight of his career. Now if Rigo was on the level as Donaire and Donaire was ducking him, I would call him out on it. Nobody aside from us diehard fans are calling for this fight. It's not beneficial from a business standpoint for the networks, the promoter, nor Donaire. Its not as if Donaire is being offered a career high payday for this bout and turned it down as other fighters have in the past.

Comment

and LOL at people who talk as if Donaire is a Big Name and a Big Draw hahaha

did you not see the empty seats for that Mathabula fight? Donaire is not a fukin draw himself an Casual Fans don't give a fuk about him because Casuals really don't give a fuk about Division under MAYBE 135

so again to try and turn this into a Popularity Contest as a Reason whey he shouldn't fight Rigondeaux, it just makes Donaire Fans look so bad and Clueless (which many of them are anyway)

Casuals don't give a FUK about Donaire Either! Sadly, Only the Hardcore Fans care about the Lower Division

Comment

Sure they don't but he gets exposition that last 3 opponents never had. I'm not saying they'd rather show Rigo than Arce and Mares, but at this point, I'm confident that they would have more interest in Rigondeaux - Donaire fight than they had in Donaire - Narvaez, Donaire - Vazquez and Donaire - Mathebula fights when they were made. There's way more public damand for it.
                  When Donaire fought Narvaez, he was still fighting at 118 so Rigo was not an option. And it was his first fight after a long layoff. While Narvaez was from a division below, he was still a somewhat credible opponent. He has been considered the #1 guy at Jr. Bantamweight for a while now. While obviously NOW they would prefer a Rigo over a Narvaez, at the time Narvaez had never fought that way he did. When Nonito fought Vasquez, it was his first fight at the division and it was up against a former champion that had a decent name. At that time, Rigo was just some random dude with 8 fights nobody has ever heard off. No title at the time. When they chose Mathebula over Rigo, Rigo was coming off two terrible unwatchable and forgettable fights. And whatever little more recognition Rigo had over Mathebula, it was extremely minimal. For all intent and purposes, they were equivalent. Just two random dudes with belts. Atleast Mathebula had his fight with Caballero (when he was a unified 122 champ) where many people thought he was robbed.
                  Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 07-13-2012, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
                    You've done a hell of a PR campaign for Nonito in the last few weeks, Light Speed.

Most respectable posters on here, whether being involved personally or not, are pretty familiar with the "business of boxing" and how it works. We don't need you to keep re-iterating what we've known for years.

A few things that you should consider;

Even from a "marketing" perspective, Donaire's last 3 fights haven't been shrewd choices. To the "casual" boxing observer, which this article is implying that Donaire's platform is currently catering to, is completely unfamiliar with these fighters. ALL, from a general consensus, have been less talented, and u can argue, with the exception of Vasquez of course, even less market value than Rigondeaux.

The reason why the Rigo-Donaire fight hasn't been made isn't because Rigo has refused "Mathebula money". I know this for a fact.

I'm not hating on Nonito because frankly, he's not the first and won't be the last to take this route. Champions in boxing get protected, marketable prospects in boxing get protected. Nonito certainly has the talent and the appeal to fit in that category. This isn't news.

But please, don't make this about anything more than that. The fact the Rigo fight hasn't been made is because Rigo is a low reward- high risk fight. Out of all of the guys in the division Nonito is campaigning at, Rigo has the best, and very REAL chance of defeating Nonito. Period. If he was low reward, low risk (like the last 3 guys Nonito has fought), then Nonito most certainly would've been WBA Superbantamweight champion of the world by now.
                    I just posted an update from Donaire's website. No need for a PR campaign, those who understand the business of boxing will just shrug and move on, but you will always have these fans who act like spoiled brats. When they don't get the fight they want, when they want it, they scream "duck". No matter how much the fighter accomplished up to that point, how many good fighters he beat, if he doesn't fight that guy right now he's a duck. Even if that guy has yet to face an elite fighter. No point arguing with these dudes.

Comment

all i hear is excuse after excuse from donaire on why he seems to always fight weak, no hope opponents. lol. the business of boxing doesnt explain the narvaez fight, it doesnt explain the mathebula fight. so please save that for the idiots who dont know any better.

Comment

Working...
                      X