Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don Kings Prizefighters. 13 NEW SCREENSHOTS INSIDE!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

graphics look kinda ****ty but it's all about gameplay for me.

Comment

By Jacob Luft

Depending on whom you ask, the sport of boxing is either fading, on life support or flat-lining completely. The proliferation of pay-per-view bouts, the lack of bankable stars, the alphabet soup of champions ... it's not hard to come up with the major reasons for the sport's perceived decline.

Don King has his own opinion on what ails the sport of kings, and it doesn't lack for irony: greed.

"There are no heroes right now," King said. "The fighters lately have been businessman, they aren't fighting for glory and pride. For a fighter, it is incidental that he should be paid. If you're good, then you're going to have the money and it's going to come. Honor, integrity, fighting for pride and glory will do so much more for you than when you fight for money."

King opined on the state of the sport a few hours before last week's Roy Jones Jr.-Felix Trinidad bout at Madison Square Garden (won by Jones in a 12-round decision) while unveiling his newest vehicle to promote, a boxing videogame titled Don King Presents: Prizefighter due for release this spring by 2K Sports on the XBOX 360, Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS.

The main theme of Prizefighter's single-player career mode plays off of King's statement: It's about the choice you have to make between glory and money. Would you rather hit the gym to train for your next fight or work on enhancing your notoriety? The former can help get you a win, but the latter will line your pockets with fatter purses. You'll have to decide what's more important to you. As you progress through the game, your story will be told in a SportsCentury-style documentary, with real video clips from King (see picture, below) and other famous names from the fight scene.

Aside from the standard create-a-fighter option, Prizefighter offers up to 30 active boxers and 10 classic pugilists, including Larry Holmes, Ken Norton and the Cinderella Man, James Braddock. HBO announcers Emmanuel Stewart and Jim Lampley provide the play-by-play. The online play offers the unique twist of allowing players to set up their own gym where they can fight with up to eight of their own created boxers or any of the legendary fighters from the game.

The goal isn't just to create a good fighting game -- it's to create the total package of an immersive story framed around a fight career.

"You can't find a better reality show than boxing, the trials and tribulations a fighter goes through," King said.

King and 2K Sports can only hope that it's that same excitement that transfers to Prizefighter and makes it a worthy contender for EA's Fight Night franchise.

Comment

Don King complaining of boxers and promoters being greedy?

That's like Bill Gates condemning the rich.

He needs to shut the **** up.

Comment

[QUOTE=mr.anthrax;3078288]

Aside from the standard create-a-fighter option, Prizefighter offers up to 30 active boxers and 10 classic pugilists, including Larry Holmes, Ken Norton and the Cinderella Man, James Braddock. HBO announcers Emmanuel Stewart and Jim Lampley provide the play-by-play.
          QUOTE]

So much for 60 fighters huh? let alone 200... **** wants to play as James Braddock? Hmmm... got a feeling this list gon b pretty dissapointing!

Comment

only 30 active fighters i was looking forward to this game but not now ive got a feeling this is going to be one big let down

Comment

Originally posted by mr.anthrax View Post
              I work for a website that Rockstar games buys advertisment space from. I have a business relationship with a boxing fan at Rockstar that has become friendly enough to share some information with me.

I have every reason to think that this gentleman is truthful with me and I think he probally gets good info from someone he knows well from the 2k/venom team.

I knew 2 years ago when everybody said it was going to a Rocky game that it was not, but an actual "real" boxing game. I wish I could spill the beans on the list of fighters in the game but I don't know that much .

I have been told about the chance of this game having 200 fighters. I am so cynical for something that good happening I am still having trouble myself believing that much good news. Anyway, I have been told that the welterweight division is stacked for this game, and I have been assured that this game has plenty of fighters from all the other promoters, even King's most bitter rivals.

Long story short, things are looking good for the hardcore boxing fans/gamers. We just need to support this game as a community to show 2k (or any other company)that they will not waste time and lose money making a sim style boxing game.

You should be able to place your reservations at Gamestop for Prizefighter starting this Friday, the 25th of January. Let's get those pre-orders going!
              I'm so ****ing incredulous right now... I wan to believe, but IDK...

Is this exclusive for the next-gen consoles?

Comment

looks good hopefully more pics become available soon

Comment

hope it has pivot and a more realistic way of moving around the ring, oh and more fighters, thats what i didnt like about fnr3

Comment

It has Calzaghe and Pavlik in it. It's already a good game, unless they **** up the gameplay that much. I'm hoping 2kgames put their heart into this game and make a great boxing game, hell maybe even surpassing fight night round 3.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingknight View Post
                      It has Calzaghe and Pavlik in it. It's already a good game, unless they **** up the gameplay that much. I'm hoping 2kgames put their heart into this game and make a great boxing game, hell maybe even surpassing fight night round 3.

Don King Presents: Prizefighter

Developer: 2K Games; Publisher: 2k Games
                      Preview by Jon Valjean (29 January 2008)

2K SPORTS APPEAR TO be on track for an Autumn release of Don King Presents: Prizefighter. According to 2K, players must train, overcome adversity, get promoted, and avoid temptation to rise in notoriety, all while watching the story of their rise to champion unfold in a unique, live-action, sports documentary style that features real-life greats from the world of boxing.

2K have been kind enough to supply us with the following features and screenshots:

Live the Boxing Life - A full career mode offers players a comprehensive story line that follows them through real-life boxing situations such as injuries, facing stacked odds against a corrupt judge, and more. These dramatic moments are told in a sports documentary style using the voices and images of world famous boxers and celebrities from the boxing world.

The Best in the Ring and in the Booth - Don King Presents: Prizefighter offers up a roster of 30 licensed, active boxers and 10 classic, retired boxers. Classics include the likes of Larry Holmes, Ken Norton, and even the Cinderella Man himself, James Braddock. The play-by-play and color commentary are provided by none other than HBO Boxing broadcasters - Emmanuel Stewart and Jim Lampley.

Knock Out! - The developers at 2K sports weren't afraid to get their hands dirty when it came to fine-tuning the fight mechanics in Don King Presents: Prizefighter. Cumulative effect punching and surprise one-punch knockdowns and knockouts will keep gamers on the edge of their seats during every match. Height, weight, reach, and strength all play a part in how well a fighter stacks up against the enemy.

Hit the Virtual "Gym" - The unique online mode in Don King Presents: Prizefighter allows players to form and compete in "gyms" of friends or any available competitor. Players can choose from any of the legendary or active champions in Don King Presents: Prizefighter, or use up to 8 of their own customized boxers in this feature.

Comment

Working...
                      X