Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
    i was thinking 'man, that ref must really hate Tommy'

it was like a 20punch combo that should have been stopped after 5
    I think the ref was Tony Perez and if I remember correctly he’s known for letting fights progress long after the fighter was shot to ****.

Comment

Originally posted by jri9d0 View Post
      I think the ref was Tony Perez and if I remember correctly he’s known for letting fights progress long after the fighter was shot to ****.
      I thought Mercer killed Tommy with that KO

Comment

Although it wasn't necessarily a "beatdown", I enjoyed watching Larry Holmes use his savvy and skills to beat a younger Ray Mercer. Mercer turned pro late, at 27, so he was 31 at the time, but still 11 years younger than Larry. Holmes went to the ropes and took Ray to school there.

Some of my other favorite "older fighter beats younger fighter" performances.

Bernard Hopkins-Kelly Pavlik
        Bernard Hopkins-Felix Trinidad
        Iran Barkley-Darrin Van Horn
        Roberto Duran-Davey Moore
        Roberto Duran-Iran Barkley

Comment

Originally posted by AL YANKAB*TCH View Post
          I thought Mercer killed Tommy with that KO
          So did I, any time I’m ask what was the most brutal KO I have ever seen I almost always seem to mention this Mercer/Tommy fight.

Comment

Juan Manuel Marquez vs Juan Diaz and Katidis

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
              Although it wasn't necessarily a "beatdown", I enjoyed watching Larry Holmes use his savvy and skills to beat a younger Ray Mercer. Mercer turned pro late, at 27, so he was 31 at the time, but still 11 years younger than Larry. Holmes went to the ropes and took Ray to school there.

Some of my other favorite "older fighter beats younger fighter" performances.

Bernard Hopkins-Kelly Pavlik
              Bernard Hopkins-Felix Trinidad
              Iran Barkley-Darrin Van Horn
              Roberto Duran-Davey Moore
              Roberto Duran-Iran Barkley
              All good picks here. enjoyed watching Holmess/Mercer as well. Holmes is def. underrated.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Pessimistic View Post
                  @ jri don't know how. Like I said I was noob don't know the ropes yet. Can tell me how?
                  Just go to the top of your first post and click on Thread tools and add a poll

Comment

Larry Holmes against Marvis Frazier, even Holmes was asking the ref to stop the fight on round #1

Comment

Thought this tidbit was interesting when I was looking up Saoul Mamby.
                      He fought and lost at age 60. Nuts man.

While this may be the oldest ' sanctioned' bout involving a fighter, Boxrec and Ring Record Book data indicate Lightweight Walter Edgerton was 'apparently' 63 years old when he defeated John Henry Johnson on January 27, 1916, but Edgerton's exact birthdate was unknown. Former World Heavyweight champion Jack Johnson was 60 years old when he was kayoed in the seventh round by Walter Price on September 1, 1938. Johnson last appeared in three 1 minute rounds in a World War II Bonds rally benefit exhibition against Joe Jeanette on November 27, 1945. Johnson was age 67, Jeanette was age 66. Former World Heavyweight champion 'Smoking Joe' Frazier fought three 1 minute rounds in an exhibition against Memphis Mayor and former Tennessee Golden Gloves amateur champion Willie Herenton on November 30, 2006, with Herenton declared the winner. 'Smoking Joe' was age 62, Mayor Herenton was age 66.

Comment

Working...
                      X