No announcement yet.

Leija vs Nelson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leija vs Nelson

I dont remember seeing these fights as a youngster, i wanted to get an assessment on them from those who either have the fights or remember seeing them, the circumstances behind the draw sound shady as hell

someone help me out here and give me some insight

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
    I dont remember seeing these fights as a youngster, i wanted to get an assessment on them from those who either have the fights or remember seeing them, the circumstances behind the draw sound shady as hell

someone help me out here and give me some insight
    I thought one of the judges added up his card wrong. All their fights were pretty competitive if I remember correctly. I think Leija should get more credit than he does, but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      I thought one of the judges added up his card wrong. All their fights were pretty competitive if I remember correctly. I think Leija should get more credit than he does, but that's just me.
      I agree about Leija, Jab5239, though he didn't win all the big ones, he was right there nearly all his career.
      I believe they originally announced it as a win but later changed it to a draw after checking the scorecards(similar thing happened in Stevie Johnston-Castillo II).

Comment

It's odd that their third fight was such an a*s kicking by Azumah.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
          It's odd that their third fight was such an a*s kicking by Azumah.
          Remember Leija was ko'd by Oscar in his previous fight. That might have helped the cause. But Azumah was on a roll too, having just stopped Ruelas.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            Remember Leija was ko'd by Oscar in his previous fight. That might have helped the cause. But Azumah was on a roll too, having just stopped Ruelas.

Good point.

How Leija managed to survive many rounds after that first round knockdown is a testament to his toughness. That was a beautiful bomb he was blasted with....

Comment

Leija is from the city I live in now (San Antonio) so we get to hear a lot about him. He is actually my trainer now and by what I've learned from him and about him the last 5 years in indispensable. I've got a lot of respect for the gentleman.
              No with my disclosure out of the way my wife's best friends Dad was at the 1st fight. He and most in observance that it was very close with Leija maybe getting the nod. The judges "added" wrong and it was returned a draw.
              The 2nd fight was his crowning achievement so to speak. He fought a great plan and even floored Nelson in the fight. He won by a few rounds.
              3rd fight he was coming off the De La Hoya KO and that really does play a part in your psyche.
              4th fight was kind of like the Frazier s Ali series. It was more for the the fight between 2 men and their pride than the belt. BTW Leija won that.

Comment

Man he sure as h*ll had heart. Also when you look at his record he was usually fighting bigger guys than what he should have been. Mosley, de La Hoya, Tszyu they were all bigger men than him, but that's were the money was. You have to remember he was a natural 130 pounder, maybe 135 later but was fighting at 140 and 147. He totally destroyed the career of Francisco Bojado with a boxing lesson in the ring.

DEFEATED

World Rated Fighters - 15
                Olympians - 3
                World Champions - 4

Comment

Working...
                X