Lets See If I Got Things Right

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets See If I Got Things Right

Ok, hey guys just thought i could ask for some feedback on this:

I have started boxing a few weeks ago and i already know almost all there is to know about the sport through research lol but what i wanna know is if this is if you all mostly have private trainers or you go to like a class/group once a week to learn with small group with a pro trainer because that is what i do then when he thinks its time we spar. Then with your spare time buy the equipment and train at home

i just wanted to ask this because im not sure if u all had private trainers lol or if this is a ok way to go about this. and also once i have been boxing for acouple of years and im still in the class with my trainer, how do i take it a step further and go pro and start fighting more professionally.

p.s im not sure if u know him but my trainer is patrick he trained the womens world champ and fought in the eurochamps.

All feedback whould be really helpfull. Thank You.

It varies by gym but your gym sounds very much like mine.

My gym is run like a martial-arts dojo, with 60 minutes of drills and padwork, bagwork, calisthenics, etc. Then we break into pairs for another 30 minutes of contact drills and light- to medium-contact sparring. There are 10-20 of us on any given night, so the level of instruction can be fairly personal; the trainers know what each of us is working on and they pair us up accordingly, often with limited punches or specific instructions on a round-by-round basis: "You have your jab, YOU are just slipping and keeping your chin down," etc. After that, the ring is open for sparring if you want. That's usually where the heavy sparring happens and where scores are settled.

The trainers are available privately for a fee, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post

My gym is run like a martial-arts dojo, with 60 minutes of drills and padwork, bagwork, calisthenics, etc. Then we break into pairs for another 30 minutes of contact drills and light- to medium-contact sparring. There are 10-20 of us on any given night, so the level of instruction can be fairly personal; the trainers know what each of us is working on and they pair us up accordingly, often with limited punches or specific instructions on a round-by-round basis: "You have your jab, YOU are just slipping and keeping your chin down," etc. After that, the ring is open for sparring if you want. That's usually where the heavy sparring happens and where scores are settled.

You make it sound very well organized and very efficient. It is difficult to get enough bodies in the gym to make it work like that. I take it the owner must have lots of charisma. Judging from my observations the success of any gym seems to hinge on the personality of the guy running it. Sometimes the charisma gets in the way of good training. I've seen more than one prima dona use the gym to feed his ego. However charisma plus good organization can turn out a lot of great amateur boxers. The talent is out there, you just have to find a way to bring it in the door.

Comment

aaaa i see well thanks for that help u have been great

now i know this is a really difficult question depending on the gym and town and trainer, but roughly how much can it cost to hire a personal trainer?

Comment

About $50 a month for the gym fees, the personal trainer bit varies as much as the wind. Here in Ca you can spend hundreds for hourly training and depending on "what" someone is teaching you it may be wasted money. The best thing to do is get into a gym first and go through the group routines before trying to find someone to give you personalized instruction. If you spend an entire month only being trained by Manny Steward and then try to get into a gym you will unravel and your money will have been wasted. The group and social dynamic in the gym will teach you more about boxing, technique, observation, and all those hidden tidbits of tribal knowledge that you won't get without seeing the group in action.

Especially if you're new and inexperienced get into the gym full of people. The environment alone will teach you things that personalized training can never, ever approach: how to carry yourself, when to ask "are you ok?", how to listen to instructions and not be confused....I know a lot of that sounds simple and you may think you already know it; but you got to believe it you won't pick it up anywhere else no matter how much someone tells you...you have to experience it, and you have to experience it in the boxing gym.

Comment

i go 2 my gym 2-3 times a week we start with some light stretching and skipping, then we do a few footwork drills, some actual boxing drills with our gloves, and a then a bit of light contact conditioned sparring, or bodysparring, and then into the ring for some real sparring , either open or conditioned, and then some fitness drills and ab work, then stretching to warm down

Comment

Originally posted by DynamicDean View Post
              aaaa i see well thanks for that help u have been great

now i know this is a really difficult question depending on the gym and town and trainer, but roughly how much can it cost to hire a personal trainer?
              where are you from, brother?

the gym I go to is open Monday through Friday: 430 - 7
              -no fees
              -no bull****

Comment

Well thanks to ya´all ! u have been a great help, and Vboxer im from london but i moves to spain 4 years ago:P

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post

my gym is run like that too, cept privately they do cost money but i dont see the use of it because ontop of the all day schedual monday-saturday on mondays and wednesday we have competition class where just the guys who plan on competing go and he gives like special instruction just to us

Comment

Working...
                  X