No announcement yet.

Standing Eight Count.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing Eight Count.

Does anyone know when the standing eight count was brought into boxing? When it was taken out?

It's still there...

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
      It's still there...
      Only the IBF use it now, though.

Unless you're talking about a referee giving an 8-count after a knockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
        Only the IBF use it now, though.

Unless you're talking about a referee giving an 8-count after a knockdown.
        Nope.

I've seen it used in a few bouts and I don't think they were IBF bouts either. It's up to the referee as to what he sees fit, it's rare but it does still happen.

Comment

Am I missing something? Isn't a standing 8 count when someone is knocked down, the ref counts to 8 before the fight continues?

When is this NOT the case? lol

Comment

Originally posted by right_hand_lead View Post
            Am I missing something? Isn't a standing 8 count when someone is knocked down, the ref counts to 8 before the fight continues?

When is this NOT the case? lol
            Standing 8 count is still used, not often though and i THINK its only certain bodies that use it or maybe states....

Mandatory 8 is a different count, thats when u go down and the ref will count to 8 regardless of the count u rise at.

Comment

It was used in the Bute Froch fight right at the end. Bute was getting smashed along the ropes and the ref jumped in and looked like he stopped it, but he merely gave a standing 8 instead of a TKO. I think it could have been used effectively in the Molina-Demarco fight

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Like D said it's still there, very common in the amateurs, not so much in the pro's but it still happens every now and then depending on the ref

Comment

Agreed its not used often enough. A standing 8 count should be used when a big blow is given and seriously wobbles an opponent . It could prevent more head trauma to un protected fighters

Comment

Originally posted by twrx View Post
                    Agreed its not used often enough. A standing 8 count should be used when a big blow is given and seriously wobbles an opponent . It could prevent more head trauma to un protected fighters
                    It would really dull the sport though. Im not in favour of that

In situations like Rios vs Alvarado though when i guy is hurt near the ropes like that i think it makes sense rather than just end it

Comment

Working...
                    X