Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throwing the left hook-plant on the left foot, or back foot??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    To whoever says that your weight should be on your lead foot when throwing the hook, has no business teaching anything boxing.

I have one question to ask, if you have all your weight on your front foot when throwing a hook, how are you supposed to turn your back heel and pivot your hips to throw the right hand after the left hook?

Weight should go from both legs to the rear leg so you can turn your lead foot and turn your hips over to gain power and technique on the lead hook. Not all the weight but I would say about 70%.

Throwing proper punches is about doing a little choreographed dance almost, switching weight from foot to foot to maximize technique and power.
    Exactly this. Weight shift is the key to generating power and more importantly, naturally flowing combinations.

A leap-in lead left hook mechanics are different from a standing left hook and I think that confuses a lot people.

Comment

Originally posted by magik10 View Post
      Exactly this. Weight shift is the key to generating power and more importantly, naturally flowing combinations.

A leap-in lead left hook mechanics are different from a standing left hook and I think that confuses a lot people.

Can you tell more?

How I understand it is that you do the same thing but in air....like a falling motion.

You can do it with a right hand as well. Careful though if you do it on a heavy bag.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vitez View Post
        Can you tell more?

How I understand it is that you do the same thing but in air....like a falling motion.
        Sure. The leap-in left hook has your entire momentum going forward. Thus at the point at which you land or make contact, you're transferring into the end of your fist. If you were you land and shift your weight to the back foot (as you would in a standing hook), you'd be giving up all that forward momentum.

Try both out on a heavy bag. Leap in and have your hook make contact right as you land. After wards, land first and then drive the hook through. You'll immediately notice that the first method is much more powerful.

Comment

makes sense, thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X