No announcement yet.

Difference between Floyd's and JMM's Defense in Their Last Fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
    no he doesnt. he cant even trap an opponent who doesnt come at him.
    Pacquiao applies pressure better than Castillo...period.

With that said, that has nothing to do with what will happen if Manny faces Floyd, which is the point I was making......a guy comparing apples to oranges, when neither of those guys are the same fighter or fight the same.

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post

With that said, that has nothing to do with what will happen if Manny faces Floyd, which is the point I was making......a guy comparing apples to oranges, when neither of those guys are the same fighter or fight the same.
      and once again. no, he doesn't. u cant say he applies pressure better than a guy that knew how to trap an opponent and keep them in front of him. i dont even know why this is even an argument. castillo was a classic pressure fighter, one of the best of his era. manny is not that. never was.

Comment

I'm not saying you are claiming they are the same TS, but this is me speaking in general......I'm really tired of the Floyd to JMM comparisons. They both counter punch well but the comparison ends right there.

With that said, you made some very good points and I also felt the fight was close but Marquez gave the last few rounds away.
        no im not saying they are the same. i may have mis-stated the title, but i was just pointing out an aspect of their overall style. while both give good counters, floyd did put on some aggression against ortiz, while jmm didn't.

Comment

You're seriously reaching when you have to bring up Castillo. The Castillo fight was NINE years ago and was the last time Floyd came thisclose to losing. The Marquez fight was just a few days ago when Pacquiao came close to losing. Also, Floyd and Marquez share more things in common in terms of fighting style than Manny and Castillo share. And like another poster stated, Manny can't seem to trap an opponent against the ropes which is something Castillo was able to do.

Comment

Just look at the guys name....
            He is the biggest Bob Arum mark in the galaxy.

Ledermann a good judge? A guy can dominate a round and the other guy only has to throw flurries for the last 30 sec and he'll give it to him.
            Thank god he isn't judging for real

Comment

Lederman judging a fight >>>>>>>>> pro boxers judging a fight.

With that said, why do people rely on others to form an opinion when they can judge for themselves? Besides, I actually know several pro fighters and none of them really sit down and pay attention to details during a fight unless its an opponent they are facing. They are either their to have a good time with friends/associates.
              Everybody judges different...some favor body punches, others flashy obvious punches...we even got guys that favor a guy coming forward and making the fight even if that guy isn't being very effective. With that said, i've seen Lederman murder score cards with his BS!! I know plenty of pro athletes and I always ask, when talking about the best or greatest etc who's opinion means more...Coaches, fans, friends or other pro athletes in their respective sports and the answer is always the same...all want that respect from the people that play with and against them.

It's easy to call yourself an expert/judge but how is their opinion more valuable than guys who lace'em up??? Especially if it's fighters that aren't involved with either fighters camp.

If cheated, I would find more comfort in hearing other athletes tell me I was robbed over anybody else.

Comment

Top Rank, you obviously live up to your name..

To answer the question, yes there are some differences in the defensive styles of Marquez and Mayweather, but at the end of the day they are also very similar and are recognized as great counter punchers.

In regards to overall defense the obvious edge would go to Mayweather.

In regards to dealing with Pacquiao, if Marquez gave Pacquiao problems, I am quite certain Mayweather will do the same. May is more elusive, he is quicker, a better counter puncher and possesses a 5 inch reach advantage over Pacquiao.

In regards to Pacquiao cutting off the ring more effectively and being a better pressure fighter than Castillo is simply asinine. Castillo had pretty good foot work and placed himself in a position to cut the ring off and impose his will.

Pacquiao couldn't even corner a washed up 39 year old Mosley..

Pacquiao had a hard time chasing an exhausted Cotto.

He just walks in, he does not use intelligent pressure, he's not really a pressure fighter

Comment

oh yeah and LEderman is a TERRIBLE JUDGE. Not just with the Pacquiao fights, but with a lot of fights in general. I sometimes question which fight is he watching. I think he jsut scores for aggression, not effective aggression, just aggression.

Same can be said with Lampley and most of the hbo telecast team they are biased towards certain fighters and most of them do not know **** about boxing. They should have Roy commentate full time.

Comment

Working...
                  X