No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: News: HBO Middleweight Tourney; Darchinyan, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: News: HBO Middleweight Tourney; Darchinyan, More

Daniel Geale may get the chance to justify promoter Gary Shaw's assertion he is the world's best middleweight boxer, by taking part in a proposed box-off between the division's finest fighters.

Australia's WBA Super and IBF champion Geale, Kazakhstan's undefeated regular WBA champion Gennady Golovkin, Russia's unbeaten former WBO champion Dmitry Pirog and Britain's Matthew Macklin are among the fighters who could feature in the box-off.

American Shaw, who helps out the Geale camp, said cable television network HBO was trying to invest in the middleweight division.

HBO had already featured Golovkin and Sergio Martinez and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, the latter pair meeting in a WBC middleweight world title bout last month. [Click Here To Read More]

Great news. I see GGG a huge favorite here, following by Pirog.

Comment

sounds ike an all Europe tourney & if HBO carries it you're looking at 5/6 hour time difference...Darchinyan is from Armenia ( same place as kentikian, where is she now?), not Australia, wrong continent...

Comment

Glad to see these guys getting the exposure they need..but they are doing a great disservice to gaele by saying he'll beat sergio..he's good but I don't know if he's that good..now can we get the same for ww and hw? Also what's up with the lack of mandatories these days..boxing needs to start forcing mandatory defenses..let a champ get 2 paydays of his choosing but that third fight should be against someone in their division ranked within the top 4...top 5 at the worst..hell make it top 3 and i'm in for every one of those fights..

Comment

Yeah, I don't think Geale beats Martínez. He's a good fighter, I enjoy his fights, but he's not going to beat Sergio.

Comment

I would love to see a middleweight tournament. Geale vs GGG and Pirog vs Macklin would be awesome!!!

P.S. Michael Katsidis needs to phucken retire before he dies in the ring (a bit of an exaggeration but he does need to call it a career)!!! He should have retired after the Guerrero fight. The guy takes massive beatings!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
              sounds ike an all Europe tourney & if HBO carries it you're looking at 5/6 hour time difference...Darchinyan is from Armenia ( same place as kentikian, where is she now?), not Australia, wrong continent...
              Darchinyan is Armenian but is based out of Australia.

Comment

A middleweight tournament is a good idea. The winner of N'Jikam vs. Quillin should be thrown into the mix too.

Comment

A middleweight tourney sounds good but they need to make an old school 8-man tournament. Now that would be awesome.

sounds ike an all Europe tourney
                  Australia is not in europe, you've been taking geography lessons from Bernard Hopkins haven't you?

Comment

All 4 of them have shown that they're willing to travel, I'd expect all of the fights to be in the US.

I think this is a good idea, although I'd rather just see GG vs Geale for a shot at Martinez.

Comment

Working...
                    X