No announcement yet.

Leonard vs Hearns II who won

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    Unlike you though, he got paid extra for that by some dodgy character. Why do you say Leonard won cause I doubt anyone's giving you money for doing so?

I'm saying Leonard won because he did win.

If it's so impossible for Leonard to have won, why is it that he landed more punches?

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      Ray Leonard vs Thomas Hearns II who do you think won this fight and what are your thoughts on it.

I thought Hearns won and deserved the decision. But aside from the knockdowns, I thought it was a boring fight and Hearns finished poorly in the last round(hanging on to survive). But I thought he was a clear decision winner and Leonard himself has said he feels Hearns won the second fight.

Comment

Originally posted by stylewise View Post

If it's so impossible for Leonard to have won, why is it that he landed more punches?
        The only winners in that fight were the promoters & fans.
        Terrific scrap in which SRL was often made to look like Bamby in a tumble dryer.

Comment

Originally posted by stylewise View Post

This is a fight that need to score again. If i scored both rounds 5 and 12 10-8, than i think Leonard wins 113-112. This was i think my first score, if i take one of those 10-8's away, than i think it would be a draw. But i think it is rare to have two 10-8's without one knockdown, but it is not impossible.

I don't think it was the great robbery as people have said, i have seen worse decisions before than Hearns-Leonard 2.

There were three rounds, that could have gone either way, so i don't think your baseless in your opinion.

Hearns got a nice decision with Kinchen, a fight that went back and forth about in this board.

Leonard is a class act, to say he loss, and i wish more fighters were like that. Instead making excuses when they lose as Chavez did with Randall.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            Just for curiosity, can those who scored it a draw...or even had Leonard winning......put their cards up? Or just tell us which rounds you scored for Leonard. I'm very curious as to which rounds you could have had him winning to have given him a draw or have him winning it.

Oh well, I'm nothing if not an honest poster. I've just watched the fight and scored it as follows:

Round 1: Even 10:10
            Round 2: Hearns 10:9
            Round 3: Hearns 10:8 (I was tempted to make this 10:9, I personally dont think the knockdown was genuine, but for argument I'll keep it 10:8
            Round 4: Leonard 10:9 (very close round)
            Round 5: Leonard 10:9 (very clearly)
            Round 6: Hearns 10:9 (another close round)
            Round 7: Leonard 10:9 (despite good start to the round by Hearns)
            Round 8: Hearns 10:9
            Round 9: Leonard 10:9 (close round)
            Round 10: Even 10:10
            Round 11: Hearns 10:8
            Round 12: Leonard 10:8

Totals: Hearns 114, Leonard 113.

When I've scored it in the past I've felt loathe to scoring round 3 a 10:8.....and often ended up with the draw, but in response I suspose not every judge would score round 12 10:8 as I did, I'll admit that it is very debatable.

Either way, I have Hearns a narrow winner. But many rounds were very close, a draw isn't the most ridiculous verdict.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Oh well, I'm nothing if not an honest poster. I've just watched the fight and scored it as follows:

Round 3: Hearns 10:8 (I was tempted to make this 10:9, I personally dont think the knockdown was genuine, but for argument I'll keep it 10:8

When I've scored it in the past I've felt loathe to scoring round 3 a 10:8.....and often ended up with the draw, but in response I suspose not every judge would score round 12 10:8 as I did, I'll admit that it is very debatable.

Either way, I have Hearns a narrow winner. But many rounds were very close, a draw isn't the most ridiculous verdict.
              No doubt you are a very good poster.I agree with most of the rounds; what is the basis of giving this 4 and 7 to Leonard.I gave both to Hearns...I still think Hearns landed the better cleaner punches in round 7 not Leonard.Its not about the punches landed. And as such I have Hearns winning by a better margin than you have.

Nevermind a good effort still.

Comment

I remember the fight as close although I didnt score it.

In regards to round 3 I think, but am not 100% sure, that in general if the referee calls a KD the judges has to respect it. So it must be a 10-8 round or alternately a 9-9 round.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                  I know I had Hearns winning clearly because I remember thinking he was robbed when I watched it, I think I had it 8 to 4 in rounds. 116-110 because of the knockdowns. Leonard has even said he thought Hearns won that fight.
                  This.

Tommy Hearns won that fight.

I don't care how you scored the knockdowns, if your thought they were legit, if you thought they were slips, what have you.

Tommy Hearns won it, and even Leonard said it.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
                    No doubt you are a very good poster.I agree with most of the rounds; what is the basis of giving this 4 and 7 to Leonard.I gave both to Hearns...I still think Hearns landed the better cleaner punches in round 7 not Leonard.Its not about the punches landed. And as such I have Hearns winning by a better margin than you have.

Nevermind a good effort still.

Well round 4 was close, it could have been even. But I didn't really see it Hearn's way.

As for round 7, Hearns was terrific for the first 40 seconds, but then I felt Ray dominated the rest of the round and scored with a couple of nice combinations later on. It wasn't by a huge margin but I didn't feel that an even round was deserved.

Comment

I'll give the full fight a watch tonight on video, I last scored it a draw maybe 5 years ago....and I'll put up my round by round scores. I'll be gracious enough to admit Hearns a 'just' winner if thats how the scores work out this time without any blinkers.

I've gone over the round three knockdown again and again just now. Both land simultaneous right hands, Hearns is the better blow, Ray backs up but the follow up right (at best!) grazes the back of Ray's neck. That is not a legal contact area, nor did it make much in the way of contact.

Check out the following You Tube post:

Thomas Hearns -vs- Ray Leonard II 6/12/89 part 2

Watch 3 mins 50 in with the knock down coming seven seconds later in slow motion or 3:30 from above. I'll argue to the day I die that, that knockdown should not have been called, it should have been ruled a slip.
                      I had it for hearns last time i watched. And the first KD could have gone either way.
                      He was hurt, and the follow up punch didnt land clean, plus he slipped.
                      Yet u could see he was hurt when he was getting up. He seemed to accept the fact he was hurt and knocked down. no protesting from Leonard.

But it could have gone either way.

Comment

Working...
                      X