Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have my first amateur fight on December 3rd. Any tips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personally i feel in amateurs (especially early in amateur careers) aggression is the best weapon, many judges will be quick to give standing 8 counts and many newer fighters are a bit timid early on and get panicy when someone rushes them, but be smart about it and cover up.

good luck

Comment

Hey man, i've having my first amateur boxing fight on the 3rd dec too, but i'm fighting at 56kg or 60kg ( if i fail to make 56 ).

everytime i think about the fight i get really nervous and excited. my body starts to experience chills and my legs go jelly... Even now as i'm typing i can feel the chills inside my body and my hands are not very steady.

i think it is very important to stay calm and confident. don't lose energy to nervousness. sometimes during sparring i get nervous and my legs immediately are gone, like a numb sensation and my performance becomes horrible.

so we just have to stay calm and confident and pace ourselves well! Goodluck man wish you manage to emerge victory!!

Comment

Just relax, remember the jab, don't get intimidated and remember that the other guy is likely to be just as nervous.

Comment

most def gotta just get calm and just focusssss, i was commented on my first time for being unsually calm and i won, i jsut focused and thought how great of an experience it is and i was ready

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
            Just relax, remember the jab, don't get intimidated and remember that the other guy is likely to be just as nervous.
            Couldn't have said it any better.

The truth is, most first-timers, the first time was the worst. First-timers basically forget what they trained for, and they have so much adrenaline and nervousness going through the body and mind that they end up gassing out.

My advice, is don't think about too many things, your nervousness alone is enough to drain your energy.

Keep your hands up at all times, but relaxed(not too relaxed), and keep your chin tucked, but don't get too timid w/ letting your hands go.

The two biggest mistakes first timers make is they're too timid in the ring, or they go for the homerun with every swing, and before you know it, the fight is over.

You've either not done enough or you did too much that you didn't have enough energy to last through the fight.

Comment

I won my fight last Saturday.

It was a close fight but in the end I did enough to win. I'm uploading the video right now.

I fought a guy who was 2-0, he gave me a standing 8 count but I was able to shake it off and come back.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and well wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPREME. View Post

It was a close fight but in the end I did enough to win. I'm uploading the video right now.

I fought a guy who was 2-0, he gave me a standing 8 count but I was able to shake it off and come back.

Good **** bro..I'm glad you got the nod and faced adversity at the same time. I'd like to see the video once you upload it.

Comment

Congrats man!

Comment

It's at 145 pounds, i'm feeling good training so far, but still I feel like I can do more. I been doing sprints in the grass cause i'm notorious for gassing out in the 2nd round of sparring, and after 2 weeks of sprints I can last 3 rounds and be fine but the problem is I don't let my hands go enough. My trainer always tells me that if I don't let my hands go i'll always get outpointed, even if my opponent is not even better than me. I watch too much Mayweather, so I just want to potshot but I guess in amateur that's not in my best interest. Also I worry about gassing out from throwing too many punches. I'm 5'10" btw.

Something that worries me, besides gassing out is whether my opponent is going to rush me and throw crazy wild shots or if he is going to try and box me.

Any pointers? And how did your first amateur fight go?
                    It's your first fight..... the best advice I can give you is have fun. When you get hit, smile and go about your business. Have fun man

Comment

Working...
                    X