Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you guys really think Pacquaio is better than Pernell Whitaker? last 20 years poll

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you guys really think Pacquaio is better than Pernell Whitaker? last 20 years poll

Man some of you guys must just started watching boxing like five years ago....Pernell Whitaker(late 80's mid 90's) and Roy Jones(mid 90's-early 2000s) were undoubtedly the best fighters of their time...

Pacquaio hasnt even shown he is the best fighter of his era, and actually got the title "best fighter p4p" by default just because Mayweather had retired after the Ricky Hatton fight...Mayweather was a top 5 p4p guy for the past 12 years and has beaten more champions is more skillful as well

Im a fan of both fighters but really...for me its Either Pernell Whitaker or Jones who should be considered the best of the past 20 years.....until Manny and Floyd fight each other this era is just 1a and 1b no one proved they are the best yet

if you arent even considered the best of your time how can you be the best of the last 20 years?
    yes
    35.71%
    no
    64.29%

inb4 larryx drops his black and white sig knowledge

Comment

for those who chose either guy PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY...NO CHILDISH ARGUING

Comment

Better is such an ambiguous term.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
          Better is such an ambiguous term.
          more skill in the ring, a greater fighter, more dominant better opposition etc...better wins ....who was better /greater fighter

Comment

i thought it was in terms of their body of work and success. yes, rjj and pernell were great talents, but they fall short in resume and other stuffs including popularity.

Comment

Originally posted by dibzvincent143 View Post
              i thought it was in terms of their body of work and success. yes, rjj and pernell were great talents, but they fall short in resume and other stuffs including popularity.
              They both fall short in popularity only in my eyes and thats how most casual fans Judge fighters I have to disagree with you on the resume too not saying what Manny has done isnt impressive,

skillwise he isnt near them, natural talentwise he is...based off ability meaning combining both he is below both to me

1) Pernell Whitaker was clearly the best p4p fighter of his time...no one really was even close, and he got robbed against chavez who was his only rival...never lost a clear fight until he was 35 was more skillful and more domiinant than Pacquiao and beat his closest rivals clearly in his prime

2)Jones never lost a legit fight until he was 35 as well and was the clear best fighter of his era beat more champions and titlists than anyone of the past 20 years as well and the only guy to start win titles at middleweight to heavyweight....beat his closest rivals clearly in his prime

Pacquaio cant even beat Marquez clearly and even when he was 37 some saw him losing to him...also lost to Morales who was past prime in his prime and has 2 other loses that are by kayo...two titles at catchweights against guys who took hellacious beatings before take some luster of those "7th" and "8th" titles....also every fighter he beat that was considered great was past their prime

.Mayweather has beaten more champions than him and defended his titles more and won more titles fights...he isnt even the clear best fighter in his own era

Comment

Pacquiao 8 weight world champ, has blitz a lot of great fighter.

Faster hands, more power, better work rate, endurance, more exciting fighter to watch. I better attacking force

Longer career.

Gave away bigger weight advantages in the ring.

Continually surpassed expectations

Cleaner fighter

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
                  Pacquiao 8 weight world champ, has blitz a lot of great fighter.

Faster hands, more power, better work rate, endurance, more exciting fighter to watch. I better attacking force

Longer career.

Gave away bigger weight advantages in the ring.

Continually surpassed expectations

Cleaner fighter
                  being exciting and having more power doesnt make you a better fighter might make you more popular

Whitaker could do more in the ring, fight inside, outside, mid range counter, had a great jab more skills ring generalship ....endurance? We've seen Manny winded in his prime never recalled Whitaker being winded and he had a good workrate as well

he had a longer career because he started fighting at 16 and didnt start fighting top shelve guys until 7 years into his career whitaker already beat 5 world champions by his 20th pro fight...quality>quantity

Manny didnt beat 5 world champions til he 37th fight

Whitaker was a gold medallist and people already expected him to be great and he was...it took Manny 7 years for people even to notice him

THE MOST IMPORTANT: he isnt even clearly the best p4p in his own era and most have floyd rated over him so how can he be the best of the last 20 years?

Comment

No. I think Pernell is more in p4p at this point. However, I think prime RJJ is probably best in last 20 yrs P4P. Pac still has time but not much option left which I don't think he would surpass either.
                    Last edited by sdcluser; 05-23-2012, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X