No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rematches: Twice Is Nice Except When It Ain’t

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Rematches: Twice Is Nice Except When It Ain’t

By Cliff Rold - We remember the remarkable rematch turnarounds.

Evander Holyfield made technical adjustments, and got his wind up thanks to one “Fan Man,” and got past Riddick Bowe the second time around. Rocky Graziano snared the Middleweight title when Tony Zale made the fateful decision to give him a second crack at it. Joe Louis nuked Max Schmeling before the Manhattan Project changed the world.

We remember the nights when special fighters seized legendary moments, quenching the blood thirst of revenge.

And why wouldn’t we?

Those nights are not that common.

Most of the time it seems, and if memory serves it’s been quantified somewhere, rematches go the way of the first fight, if shorter. It makes sense, especially when first fights end by knockout. As the pressure increases, as the heat rises in the ring, the man who won the first time around knows he can finish.

The previously vanquished hopes he can but draws only on the knowledge of failure.

Failure in boxing isn’t like failure elsewhere. Former Straweight and, more recently, World Jr. Flyweight Champion Ivan Calderon (34-1-1, 6 KO) of Puerto Rico felt the bruises, the aches, probably had trouble with a deep breath or two, after he found out last August.

In the BoxingScene and Ring Magazine Fight of the Year for 2010, Calderon gave everything he had. It wasn’t enough. The heavy hands, relentless pressure, and focused body assault of Mexico’s Giovanni Segura (26-1-1, 22 KO) was too much. The end came in the eighth round, Calderon forced to his knees by the strength of a man just shy of seven years younger. Segura, already the WBA titlist, added Calderon's lineal, Ring, and WBO honors. [Click Here To Read More]

They forget to mention that calderon had leg injuries calderon got this rematch he will beat segura with ease if you look at the first fight out of those 8 rounda segura only won 2 and thats with calderon not following his game.plan and being injured now imagine a healthy calderon following the game plan easy win segura misses and only caught calderon when he stood toe to toe and calderon was actually hurting the bigger man warrr calderon

Comment

Originally posted by PRBOXINGCOTTO View Post
      They forget to mention that calderon had leg injuries calderon got this rematch he will beat segura with ease if you look at the first fight out of those 8 rounda segura only won 2 and thats with calderon not following his game.plan and being injured now imagine a healthy calderon following the game plan easy win segura misses and only caught calderon when he stood toe to toe and calderon was actually hurting the bigger man warrr calderon
      Someone take this guy's keyboard away from him please.

Comment

hoya vs floyd was a stinker..but would've been nice to see if floyd could really beat a past prime hoya convincingly in a rematch...

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
          hoya vs floyd was a stinker..but would've been nice to see if floyd could really beat a past prime hoya convincingly in a rematch...
          Manny vs JMM II was a gift. I wonder if Manny would have been so lucky in a immediate rematch with Marquez at 130?

Comment

Originally posted by LeadUppercut View Post
            Manny vs JMM II was a gift. I wonder if Manny would have been so lucky in a immediate rematch with Marquez at 130?
            you wish it was agift...but dont worry , in the trilogy pac will not only make your boyfriend kiss the canvass like its his wife,but he'll make the canvass like jmm's death bed....

Comment

Originally posted by LeadUppercut View Post
              A gift it wasn't...Disputable? Sure...Robbery? Not at all.

Just because a close fight goes the opposite way of how you scored it. Doesn't make it a robbery/gift.

And, that fight should have been the third fight of the trilogy...Why didn't the 2nd fight happen sooner?

Yea, yea I know, I know Pac is a bitch....Fucking ey...

Comment

The first fight was convincing enough, there was no need for a rematch. Thank god there wasn't one. The best thing Floyd did was not go through that sham of a rematch.

Oscar won 3 maybe 4 if you were generous and gave Oscar the benefit of every doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                  The first fight was convincing enough, there was no need for a rematch. Thank god there wasn't one. The best thing Floyd did was not go through that sham of a rematch.

Oscar won 3 maybe 4 if you were generous and gave Oscar the benefit of every doubt.
                  not to me.......SD is by no means a convincing win ....up until hoya gassed i had him ahead in my scorecards...and that was at around the 8th round...

Comment

not to me.......SD is by no means a convincing win ....up until hoya gassed i had him ahead in my scorecards...and that was at around the 8th round...
                    After 8 rounds you had Oscar ahead? What rounds did you give Oscar?

And, like if there's not incompetent judges. No way should that fight have been a SD. You can not find 5 rounds to give to Oscar.

Oscar barely won 4 and that is if you gave Oscar the benefit of every doubt.

I can see how somebody can have it even after 8. With Floyd sweeping the last 4. But, to have Oscar ahead after 8, just means that you're incompetent and don't know how to score fight.

Going by the judges scorecards, pretty much means that robberies don't exist. I guess you really felt Whitaker didn't convincingly beat Ramirez the first time.

Comment

Working...
                    X