No announcement yet.

Name something you know about a fighter that many others might not know

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name something you know about a fighter that many others might not know

(yes I got this thread idea from another forum)

Any interesting facts that you know about specific boxers that a large population of boxing fans might not be aware of?

Please don't post fake or slanderous garbage.

I'll start with two easy ones.

-Miguel Cotto was actually born in Rhode Island

-Antonio Margarito was actually born in California
    Last edited by subhuman; 10-09-2012, 08:44 PM.

bumping with a few more I saw on the other forum

I've already mentioned this before. But it's worth a second posting. Everyone knows Rocky Marciano was killed in a plane crash. Not many people know that he wasn't just killed. He was decapitated. When the first people arrived on the scene of the crash, they found his body still in his seat, and his head a few metres away. Grim stuff I know, but still. At least he would've died quickly.

Ricky Hatton was stopped by Jurgan Braehmer as an amateur (bare in mind Braehmer fights up at LHW as a pro whilst Hatton made a career at 140). Hatton did however stop Jamie Moore as an amateur.

Muhammad Ali once helped save a suicidal man from jumping from a building.

James Toney played Joe Frazier in the film Ali.

Lennox Lewis used to take a nap for approx an hour before every fight.

Comment

I heard a story that Mike Tyson is actually four years older than he claims to be.

I've looked all over the net and posted this question in boxingscene history. Nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
        I heard a story that Mike Tyson is actually four years older than he claims to be.

I've looked all over the net and posted this question in boxingscene history. Nothing.
        Hmm interesting.

Here are a few more

-Juan Manuel Marquez has an accounting degree

-All of Holyfield's 11 kids have names beginning with E

-Niccolino Locche smoked throughout his his career & even took sneaky puffs in between rounds

-Kostya Tszyu used to stand on his head for extended periods of time. Like the Shaolin Monks do in training

-Barrera has a steel plate in his head (still not sure of the reason it was inserted)

-Tommy Oosthuizen's dad is the local town drunk where I live. He's a former boxer and beats people up at the local bar. I personally haven't seen him sober, ever.

-Marquez lost his first professional bout by DQ, and found out the doctor (or the referee, can't recall) owned a piece of his opponent. He had to delay his pro debut by three years because of a spinal injury.

-Andre Ward said Tim Bradley was one of his toughest opponents as an amateur.

Comment

Bradley got beat by a lot of names today in the amateurs
          Vanes, Berto, Antillon, Andre Ward.
          Probably more names, those off the top of my head.

Comment

Can't wait till the legendary ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY posts in this thread lol.

Comment

Rocky Graziano became a pro boxer after punching his commanding officer and going AWOL. Only after that did he call himself Rocky.

Comment

primo canera weighed 22 lbs at birth

jmm,his bro raf marquez ,bhop, alexis arguello ,ricardo mayorga,henry armstrong!, ALL LOST THEY'RE PRO DEBUT

Comment

David Diaz beat Zab Judah twice in the amateurs.

Comment

Legend has it that Erik Morales was born in a boxing gym

Jake Lamotta would have marathon sex sessions in a steam room with his wife to cut weight

Pauli Mallignagi buried his first IBF belt with a standout local NY amateur who was shot dead

David Tua's father would force Tua to fight almost bareknucked against men during his early teenage years in Samoa and South Auckland

Comment

Working...
                    X