Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hamed vs Marquez was once considered

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think any reasonable person thinks Marquez ducked Hamed but he made a foolish business decision when he turned down that half of a mil to face him. And to his credit, he had been trying to make a fight with Hamed for eons before that and couldn't get him in the ring.

Prince Naseem Hamed was a great fighter in the lower divisions who just so happened to fight in an era with even greater fighters like Morales, Barrera and, later on, the aforementioned Marquez. Today, Hamed would dominate from 118-126. Would have loved to see a showdown between he and Nonito Donaire.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
      All the experts say he was the dominant force in the featherweights. In fact I've seen written that he was on the top in the most domineering reign for 7 years. I looked it up it was actually 6 years. He also defended 15 times, nearly all were KO. He also defended his WBC International title 6 times in the couple of years before this and an obvious coming world champion as soon as he could get fight for the title. Around this time he had the most amazing record of 28K0's against 2 points win. He was slaughtering everybody. He felt he was too good. I'd see him in a studio interview insufferably conceited and kissing his biceps as if he adored them. Sickening actually, but that was Hamed's schtik. Made him a large fortune. He began losing interest before the McCullough fight, which was the 3rd decision he allowed. McCullough had a cast iron chin in that fight as you may recall. He played with him, and that's the way he did it to the end of his career. It was very obvious, he said several times that he couldn't keep fighting, his hands were crumbling. He showed us one after a fight, a gruesome sight.

These guys talking, just don't know anything about him. The excitement at his fights was enormous. It was Hamed who really made smaller fighters popular with fans and enabled them to get big, huge purses. He was the first, and led the way. Never got any credit for it though. Whilst Hamed was earning millions for a fight in a packed house. I've read he still has about 25 milion pounds left. Good for him.

At that time, 4 year Champion Mayweather was boxing in 3000 seat halls with 2/3rds the seats empty. Arum lost fortunes on building up Mayweather, and just when he was about to regain some of it, Mayweather jumped ship. Typical.
      I hope you mean "small" as in smaller than De La Hoya...

Anyway, Edwin Valero had a more impressive record and we're not sitting here calling him an ATG.

Naseem was "prime" up until he fought the best fighter of his career? Then he wasn't? His career was at an all time high, one of the highest paid boxers period if I recall...Then he loses, is somehow "past" his prime cuz he chose not to train (didnt know that qualifies as being past your prime...).

Naz lost once, decided to call it quits and salvage the mystique (what was left of it). Naz kos Marquez? >__>...Man the things you read on here. Naz made a great career fighting lesser fighters and loses to the only A class he fights. Yet he dominates a guy who Has made a career fighting top guys? What is this based on? "Marquez beat Pac..". "Bro, Naz beat Kevin Kelly..sooo..he beats JMM easy". I am a HUGE Naz fan...but dominates JMM? >__>..we gotta draw the line somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        I don't think any reasonable person thinks Marquez ducked Hamed but he made a foolish business decision when he turned down that half of a mil to face him. And to his credit, he had been trying to make a fight with Hamed for eons before that and couldn't get him in the ring.
        He was offered the fight on what I believe was under a months notice, I don't think that's a foolish business decision at all.

Prince Naseem Hamed was a great fighter in the lower divisions who just so happened to fight in an era with even greater fighters like Morales, Barrera and, later on, the aforementioned Marquez. Today, Hamed would dominate from 118-126. Would have loved to see a showdown between he and Nonito Donaire.
        Really? There are fighters who are far greater than anyone Hamed faced across those weights, what makes you say that?

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
          He was offered the fight on what I believe was under a months notice, I don't think that's a foolish business decision at all.

Really? There are fighters who are far greater than anyone Hamed faced across those weights, what makes you say that?
          Was it a month? Don't remember. Well that explains a lot. Although other fighters might've jumped at the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
            You think Steward had any power to make decisions? It's a fact that Naseem offered JMM his biggest pay day and he turned it down.
            Also a fact that they offered the fight to him on two weeks notice. Name one fighter today of that level who would take what would be the biggest fight in his career on two weeks notice?

Yeah, exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
              A young Marquez would literally humiliate Hamed worse than Barrera did.

Marquez would probably end his career and would stop him late in the fight.

Thank god Hamed ducked him (according to Hamed own trainer)
              I thought Hamed's ****iness may get into Marquez head, and Barrera at that time was more experience than JMM when he fought Naz.

But I guess Hamed himself sees Marquez as a possible threat to his unblemish record.

Comment

Working...
              X