No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golden Boy Looks Forward To Output-Free Future

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Golden Boy Looks Forward To Output-Free Future

By Jake Donovan - Mock celebrations surfaced in various forms – articles, social networks and general water cooler talk - amidst the reports of last Saturday’s split-site doubleheader on HBO serving as the last of an output deal between the network and Golden Boy Promotions.

Two young stars of the Golden Boy stable were featured in separate alphabet title fights some 2000 miles apart.

The show led off with 22-year old Adrien Broner becoming the second Golden Boy fighter to be brought along from pro debut to championship status with his third round knockout of Vicente Rodriguez in their vacant 130 lb. title fight.

Later in the evening and roughly 700 miles south of the U.S. border, 21-year old Saul Alvarez made the third successful defense of his 154 lb. belt with a fifth round stoppage of former welterweight titlist Kermit Cintron in Mexico City.

More so than the results of their fighters, the brass at Golden Boy was pleased with the fact that youth is finally being served that has struggled to get younger. Stars have been slow to emerge while pound-for-pound rankings have been dominated by fighters north of 30 for quite a while.

While Saturday suggested the end of one specific deal, Golden Boy sees it as the continuation of a promising future.

“It’s a funny thing. I read the comments somewhere that if Broner and (unbeaten featherweight prospect) Gary Russell were with (other promoters), would they have that same opportunity? I take that as a compliment,” states Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. “If you are a young fighter and we have the opportunity to build you, why would you want to be with anyone else?” [Click Here To Read More]

Broner
    Russel Jnr
    Khan
    Canello

The future looks bright for GBP

Comment

Golden Boy is the future promotional company of boxing. When they get all the fighters, they will give all fans great matches. They're already starting to give us good fights. They will not milk their fighters like Arum is doing to some of his.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGoldenChamp View Post
        Golden Boy is the future promotional company of boxing. When they get all the fighters, they will give all fans great matches. They're already starting to give us good fights. They will not milk their fighters like Arum is doing to some of his.
        1 thing I like a lot about Golden Boy is they match their guys pretty hard the majority of the time. I know that it can't always be the case, but a lot of the time they do.

Bob Arum on the other hand whilst he can put on some great cards and has some quality fighters, he likes to build and pad out the good fights with a load of duff in house fights where the outcome is so obvious at times its not even worth watching.

Comment

Does this mean no more HBO deals for specific fighters like the one with Devon Alexander ? I hope that HBO puts on more competitive fights in the future instead of tying to make certain fighters look good all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
            1 thing I like a lot about Golden Boy is they match their guys pretty hard the majority of the time. I know that it can't always be the case, but a lot of the time they do.

Bob Arum on the other hand whilst he can put on some great cards and has some quality fighters, he likes to build and pad out the good fights with a load of duff in house fights where the outcome is so obvious at times its not even worth watching.
            ...Like how you watched Cotto-Margarito I with Top Rank? And then you'll do it the second time around, right? All promoters will aim to make the best fights within their own stable, including Golden Girl. However, it the money isn't there, they won't do it unless there's no better option (Hopkins).
            Last edited by spoonwars; 11-29-2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X