Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you allow your children to watch boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you allow your children to watch boxing?

What age are they? Did you ever restrict them from watching boxing?

I'm curious, because my 3 year old daughter, loves boxing, she always has, It was one of the few things that would quiet her as an infant, I often figured it was the sounds and the colours of the trunks, gloves, etc when she was younger, but now she's paying more attention to it and starting to take in some of the idea of punching and not getting punched, etc... she loves daddy's mitts, and really wants to use my speed bag and double end bag.

I worked with her on the mitts a bit, it was cute, and was great daddy daughter time, an activity we both enjoyed, but I started to wonder if this could be a terrible idea. We've talked about it being a sport, and these people have agreed to do this, and its not appropriate to hit people...etc etc good parent BS... etc etc...

But the idea of her hauling off and thwacking one of her friends because they agreed to box having no idea what she meant.

Either way, I'm curious about your opinion.

Similar stories and experiences are encouraged as well.

99% of posters here are children lol .

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
      99% of posters here are children lol .
      LOL, funny... I debated posting it in the training section, but I wanted a broader opinion than that.

Funny comment tho

Comment

Reloaded; hahahaha thats a fact! Most are" little girls too"!!!
        My son and my grandsons were raised inside the business as I was but the actual boxing wasn't watched until the sport could be explained and understood! People inflicting harm on each other is a concept that takes abit of age to understand! Actually its a hard concept to grasp at any age. Ray

Comment

I don't have kids but if I did I'd let them watch. Kids are gonna see much more violent things on TV anyway. You may think you can control it but you can't. It's not a problem as long as you raise her right and explain to her that violence against others is wrong which is what you seem to be doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            Reloaded; hahahaha thats a fact! Most are" little girls too"!!!
            Almost fell of my chair laughing on that one.

What age did you allow your children/grandchildren to put on some gloves and have a go at a heavy bag or the like?

Comment

I rather kids be exposed and accustomed to real violence like boxing than that lame exaggerated fictitious trash you see in martial arts and actions movies, video games, tv shows, etc

People who love fake violence on the theater screen but can't handle watching boxing are a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                I rather kids be exposed and accustomed to real violence like boxing than that lame exaggerated fictitious trash you see in martial arts and actions movies, video games, tv shows, etc
                With boxing I can explain to her that these people have agreed to this as sport, and they tend to hug/shake hands after the fight. As opposed to ficticious martial arts films (which I wouldn't watch with her, but also she would not be interested in.)

Though it seems like she understands this concept, she also turns into a puppy and tries to scratch her ear with her feet while barking at me.... sooooooooo there may be a maturity issue here.

I feel this ultimately comes down to good parenting, but part of good parenting is restricting things your child is not emotionally ready to handle, no matter how well you try to explain it to them, and I'm thinking boxing could very well be one of those things. Oddly enough this never occurred to me until she started playing with my mitts and my gloves... (cute unrelated story - she wanted to sleep with some of my gloves, kind of like stuffed animals in the bed and whatnot... but I had to explain to her that they're pretty yucky, and bought her a pair of her own gloves, that she keeps in her bed.)

Comment

DIB420; My son who had a real interest in the sport began trainng at 11 yrs old! He sparred at 12 yrs old and fought his first bout in the J.O. Ct. State Championships (USA/ABF) He lost his first bout against a seasoned 12 yr old hahahaha!! Then never lost another J.O. state fight up to 16yrs. By the time he was 15yrs old no one would fight him so he'd exhibition against Troy Worthum or some other experienced open class fighter for the rest of the year. He was sparring with Marlon Starling at 16yrs old (Open Class) Moochie was on his way up to contenders bouts at that time!

I don't think any age below 10 or 11 is a good age as far as a fight! teaching the basics at a young age is a great advantage because kids who are inspired will retain what they learn at an early stage! Ray.

Comment

I have no children , but I have lots of cousins and some of them are so little. I dont want them to watch violent things, included boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X