Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get the top 3 welterweights of each decade, and compare?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    40’s
    Ray Robinson
    Henry Armstrong
    Kid Gavilan

50’s
    Kid Gavilan
    Carmen Basillio
    Not sure

60’s
    Emile Griffith
    Luis Rodrieguez
    Jose Napoles

70’s
    Jose Napoles
    Carlos Palomino
    Pipino Cuevas

80’s
    Ray Leonard
    Tommy Hearns
    Not sure who else.

90’s

Pernell Whitaker
    Felix Trinidad
    Oscar De La Hoya

00’s

No idea, pretty poor era of WW’s.
    The best is probably Margarito.

mayweather's the best WW of the 2000's in my eyes. the rest weren't great. floyd left plenty to be desired at WW in the 2000's.

the next two are probably mosley and margarito on their resumes. margarito was the dark horse in the division for years and highly ranked.
    lost to shane, beat cotto dubiously, lost to williams, but otherwise he beat a lot of people up. clottey. cintron twice.
    as mentioned before, all things margarito in the capetillo era should be questioned.

shane started the decade strong on the oscar dub, but lost to forrest shortly thereafter and then headed to 154 where he was very average

he finished the decade strong with his win over margarito

the win over oscar is one of the best wins at WW if not the best of the decade.

and in the 90's buddy mcgurt was a damn good WW as well. oscar was better and did fight some big names, but only fought at WW for three years in the 90's

and 80's ww's you have a second tier with starling, curry, honeyghan

i'd have to go through the resume's in greater detail to figure out who i thoght did more at WW in the 80's, starling or curry.
    Last edited by New England; 04-08-2012, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      God Damn the 70s was really weak era for WWs. Napoles was great but I can't imagine Cueves or palomino being top 3 in other decade

Oh and Margarito was caught attempting to cheat not actually cheating.
      Uh he had something in his wraps on fight night that wasnt supposed to be there, that is cheating, he broke the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        mayweather's the best WW of the 2000's in my eyes. the rest weren't great. floyd left plenty to be desired at WW in the 2000's.

the next two are probably mosley and margarito on their resumes. margarito was the dark horse in the division for years and highly ranked.
        lost to shane, beat cotto dubiously, lost to williams, but otherwise he beat a lot of people up. clottey. cintron twice.
        as mentioned before, all things margarito in the capetillo era should be questioned.

shane started the decade strong on the oscar dub, but lost to forrest shortly thereafter and then headed to 154 where he was very average

he finished the decade strong with his win over margarito

the win over oscar is one of the best wins at WW if not the best of the decade.

and in the 90's buddy mcgurt was a damn good WW as well. oscar was better and did fight some big names, but only fought at WW for three years in the 90's

and 80's ww's you have a second tier with starling, curry, honeyghan

i'd have to go through the resume's in greater detail to figure out who i thoght did more at WW in the 80's, starling or curry.
        I was thinking Starling.

Tough choice though.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
          Uh he had something in his wraps on fight night that wasnt supposed to be there, that is cheating, he broke the rules.
          But that doesn't prove anything concerning any of Margarito's previous fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            But that doesn't prove anything concerning any of Margarito's previous fights.

It doesn't prove anything, I agree. But there is a strong presumption of guilt just like Holyfield and the steroid accusations. We may never know definitively, but the circumstantial evidence sure is damning.

Comment

You know what's hilarious? Mayorga qualifies here. Two wins over Forrest, one in devastating fashion, an awesome win over Six Heads (who was a good fighter at the time), an NC against Six Heads in a fight he was winning, and a close but respectable loss to Spinks. Spinks also has somewhat of a case.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                It doesn't prove anything, I agree. But there is a strong presumption of guilt just like Holyfield and the steroid accusations. We may never know definitively, but the circumstantial evidence sure is damning.
                Margarito fights on a major league circuit. Everytime he fought, his wraps and gloves were checked and signed off on by the commission and the other fighters chosen rep. Now maybe he got away with it against Cotto, but no way he did too many times going far back. It's not the same as beating a drug test when the other opponents guy is allowed to check your wraps.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                  You know what's hilarious? Mayorga qualifies here. Two wins over Forrest, one in devastating fashion, an awesome win over Six Heads (who was a good fighter at the time), an NC against Six Heads in a fight he was winning, and a close but respectable loss to Spinks. Spinks also has somewhat of a case.
                  Does the Vargas win count? lol

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                    Its against the rules to have plaster wraps on in the locker room was he going to hurt the pads shadow boxing? Margarito attempted to cheat, he attempted to break the rules and was rightfully punished for it. But its just silly to think he actually cheated

Comment

and in all honesty, watching videos of Margarito spar in his prime, he was an absolute beast. He even still messed Cottos face up badly in the rematch and he's so slow now. Cotto beat him but Pacquiao created the stoppage.

Comment

Working...
                      X