Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Roy Jones deserve to be considered an elite ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    They were good clubfighters/fringe contenders, nothing more. Gonzalez caught DM at the end of his career. Everyone beats Glen Johnson (well except Roy) and that was a robbery anyway. Sosa beat Williams once (not twice) and lost to Nunn and (pre prime) Toney.
    It so ridiculous how far people will go to discredit Roy Jones.

Dariusz was undefeated and had stopped his last 15 or so opponents when Gonzalez beat him. If you actually saw the fight you would know Sosa was robbed he beat the living hell out of Williams in their first fight. Oh and worst of all you said Toney was pre prime in a year where he won Fighter of the Year.

I refuse to believe you actually believe what you wrote in this post.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      It so ridiculous how far people will go to discredit Roy Jones.

Dariusz was undefeated and had stopped his last 15 or so opponents when Gonzalez beat him. If you actually saw the fight you would know Sosa was robbed he beat the living hell out of Williams in their first fight. Oh and worst of all you said Toney was pre prime in a year where he won Fighter of the Year.

I refuse to believe you actually believe what you wrote in this post.
      Ah yes, the old Roy Jones fan paranoia that I remember. It makes me nostalgic.

Michalczewski's record after the Gonzalez loss? 0-1 with the loss by KO. So you can't even debate that this was at the tail end of his long career. And if you actually saw the classic first Sosa-Williams fight, you'd remember that the ref stopped that fighter saying neither fighter could continue. And it wasn't controversial either. I watched this on live TV. So where is the robbery here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Ah yes, the old Roy Jones fan paranoia that I remember. It makes me nostalgic.

Michalczewski's record after the Gonzalez loss? 0-1 with the loss by KO. So you can't even debate that this was at the tail end of his long career. And if you actually saw the classic first Sosa-Williams fight, you'd remember that the ref stopped that fighter saying neither fighter could continue. And it wasn't controversial either. I watched this on live TV. So where is the robbery here?
        So I suppose undefeated after countless title defense, having shown zero signs of slowing down Dariusz all of sudden became an old bum to the point where a clubfighter/fringe contender could beat him? Yes it was a robbery their was no indication Sosa couldn't continue, he was dominating the fight. Oh and how about pre prime Toney winning fighter of the year lol
        Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 04-28-2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• He was one of, if not the most physically gifted fighters to enter the ring. I wouldn't say he was a phenomenal boxer, but since he was in the boxing ring, and clowned some of the best in his day, he for sure is. The man had so many holes, but he had so many gifts. It irritates me to watch him to this day because of **** he got away with. Extremely talented, and honestly, if I had 1/2 of that talent I couldn't imagine not utilizing every bit of knowledge to make sure I went down as the greatest of all time.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
            Just because you don't know who Merqui Sosa, Reggie Johnson or Julio Cesar Gonzalez are doesn't mean they aren't legitimately tough, dangerous, and credible fighters who are MEANINGFUL wins for Roy.
            Just because you're a dick doesn't mean u can **** the facts. They're solid fighters not world beaters. Its hilarous that somebody can come in and say "i think Roy was great but he could have done more make the best fights happen" and find that some idiots are so gay for him that they take offense

does everybody have to get down on their knees and join your felato orgy before your happy? Here have some of this and go back to ur mama

Comment

• New fans look at the losses at the end of a fighters career and think he wasn't that good because those guys beat him. They were not around when Jones was dominating three divisions. Most if the information they get is in Non stop boxing and that is not the best source.

Comment

• lol the man achieved nothing fought bums his whole career got gifted his titles and was definitly not robbed in the olympic final.what a stupid question

Comment

• Originally posted by robson24 View Post
                  lol the man achieved nothing fought bums his whole career got gifted his titles and was definitly not robbed in the olympic final.what a stupid question
                  i am sensing a touch of sarcasm in this post.

Comment

• Originally posted by res View Post
                    Why does this guy keep making silly arguments ? You knock down one argument and he comes with another.

What does "in Roy's class mean"? Do you mean someone that SHOULD have been a challenge for Roy or someone who WOULD have been a challenge. If you mean the second, then your argument is nonsense. Montel Griffin was an undefeated light heavyweight champion that had decisioned James Toney twice.

How the heck does Roy Koing him in one round indicate that he SHOULD not have been a challenge? Now someone else Koing him in one round would indicate that. This reminds of the "Hopkins wasn't in his prime when Roy beat him because Roy Beat him" argument.
                    Umm.. OK that makes sense. I'm sure many would agree, Griffin was about as much in Jones' league as Spinks was in Tyson's in '88. Spinks was undefeated and decisioned Holmes twice. But, he was no match for Tyson. The same goes for Griffin against a prime Jones. Also, what previous "argument" are you talking about that I supposedly made that was knocked?? Hopkins was a bit greener than Jones and both were not in their primes in Jones-Hopkins 1...
                    Last edited by Mintcar923; 04-30-2012, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by res View Post
                      Why does this guy keep making silly arguments ? You knock down one argument and he comes with another.

What does "in Roy's class mean"? Do you mean someone that SHOULD have been a challenge for Roy or someone who WOULD have been a challenge. If you mean the second, then your argument is nonsense. Montel Griffin was an undefeated light heavyweight champion that had decisioned James Toney twice.

How the heck does Roy Koing him in one round indicate that he SHOULD not have been a challenge? Now someone else Koing him in one round would indicate that. This reminds of the "Hopkins wasn't in his prime when Roy beat him because Roy Beat him" argument.
                      Umm.. OK that makes sense. I'm sure many would agree, Griffin was about as much in Jones' league as Spinks was in Tyson's in '88. Spinks was undefeated and decisioned Holmes twice. But, he was no match for Tyson. The same goes for Griffin against a prime Jones. Also, what previous "argument" are you talking about that I supposedly made that was knocked?? Both Jones and Hopkins were not yet in their primes when Jones-Hopkins 1 occured IMO...

Comment

Working...
                      X