Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I open a bank account if I owe money to debt collectors?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I open a bank account if I owe money to debt collectors?

I don't have a bank account right now, and I want to open one up soon. I owe a huge hospital bill (50k +), and it went to collections. Obviously that's gonna be horrible for my credit report. Would I still be able to open a simple checking account for direct deposit for my job?

You can for sure get a virtual one with Netspend, they send you debit/credit cards too for the account.....no dealing with idiots at the bank and you can dodge your debt as long as possible.

Comment

Do collection agencies have the power to get your bank savings or put it on hold? I thought if you ignore them, they would just report it to credit agency and mess up your credit score.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler View Post
        Do collection agencies have the power to get your bank savings or put it on hold? I thought if you ignore them, they would just report it to credit agency and mess up your credit score.
        No only if you owe the government where they can freeze your account

Comment

Pretty sure they have to offer you at least the basic account.

Comment

Of course you can open a bank account. Whether the debt collector has the right or ability to seize or garnish funds or wages depends on where you live. Read this...

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/askcf...-my-wages.html

and also this to avoid having your bank account seized or frozen.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...-accounts.html
            Last edited by jaded; 03-04-2015, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Depends on the loan officer.

It's their ass....they approve or not. Some don't give a damn cuz......it's a trash min wage job wearing a suit.

I wouldn't give a f.uck.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
              Last edited by Run; 03-04-2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Forget the bank unless you make 100k+ a year.

Put your money in a safe...or buy annuity.

Hell. Stuff your mattress with cash.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

Yea you can. They might garnish your wages though. Not sure. Only reason you wouldn't be able to open a checking is if you had a prior checking close due to overdraft/acct abuse or fraud

Comment

Yes u can open a bank account

Comment

Working...
                    X