No announcement yet.

1st sparring session

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st sparring session

so i've finally had my first sparring session. im 21, 5'10 ive dropped from 240 pounds to 190 i want to get to middleweight but ive hit a wall with the weight loss. any tips guys?

sparring went really well, it was a beginners sparring session and i dominated everyone there. the trainers admitted they were quite shocked and impressed. i think sparring with my friend (who is a amateur boxer) in the park has helped alot. i think i bang to the body too much though, i forget about shooting up top sometimes!

overall guys im just looking for some general tips and advice!

Originally posted by riocampbell View Post
    so i've finally had my first sparring session. im 21, 5'10 ive dropped from 240 pounds to 190 i want to get to middleweight but ive hit a wall with the weight loss. any tips guys?

sparring went really well, it was a beginners sparring session and i dominated everyone there. the trainers admitted they were quite shocked and impressed. i think sparring with my friend (who is a amateur boxer) in the park has helped alot. i think i bang to the body too much though, i forget about shooting up top sometimes!

overall guys im just looking for some general tips and advice!
    what you do now is just forget about your weight loss, eat sensibly and work your ass off. If you're meant to be lighter it will just happen.

you want to really impress the coachs? Contorl your opponents with your jab alone, ofcourse use proper movement but all you throw is your jab. You say when we do that it's hard to punch him because he knows what I'm throwing. He knows what you're throwing but should never know where you are throwing it.

do this..... go out there and let acouple jabs fly up at his face. when you eventually land one you will want to take a second, feint one to his face next and then stick your left fist deep into his belly and them immediately touch him in his face again. Just with the jab. Easiest 2 points in amatuer boxing not to mention it forces air from your opponents body interupting his breathing. Every little bit counts........Rockin'
    Last edited by Rockin'; 02-11-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by riocampbell View Post
      i think i bang to the body too much though
      Oxymoron.

if you impressed your coaches like you said, this was most likely the reason why (seeing as you said you're starting out.)

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        what you do now is just forget about your weight loss, eat sensibly and work your ass off. If you're meant to be lighter it will just happen.

you want to really impress the coachs? Contorl your opponents with your jab alone, ofcourse use proper movement but all you throw is your jab. You say when we do that it's hard to punch him because he knows what I'm throwing. He knows what you're throwing but should never know where you are throwing it.

do this..... go out there and let acouple jabs fly up at his face. when you eventually land one you will want to take a second, feint one to his face next and then stick your left fist deep into his belly and them immediately touch him in his face again. Just with the jab. Easiest 2 points in amatuer boxing not to mention it forces air from your opponents body interupting his breathing. Every little bit counts........Rockin'
        Great advice! I knew a guy that was over weight at 240, he had average strength and endurance against 200+ pound guys. Once he started losing weight he tried to get down to 175. He was alot weaker than the guys at 180 because he also lost muscle in the process. His endurance got worse too.

Much better to eat sensibly and work your ass off!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          what you do now is just forget about your weight loss, eat sensibly and work your ass off. If you're meant to be lighter it will just happen. :
          I have to somewhat disagree with part of this. Yes, continue to work your ass off. However, being lighter will not "just happen" if you've hit a wall. If you truely want to drop some more weight, look into your diet and how many calories you are consuming. You could either work harder in the gym (Burning more calories), or consume less calories.

Now when I say consume less calories, I do not mean cut back 1,000 or so calories. Figure out what your maintenance calories are, factor in your food + workouts, and make sure you've burned off more calories (200 - 400 less) than your maintenance calories.
          Last edited by KiengKoopa; 02-13-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

A fundamental rule man.. Physique is made in the kitchen. Boxing cardio should be enough to get you shredded, all you need to do is make the change in your diet.

Comment

Working...
            X